Dock

myway_1
Hi,

I like the way a dock looks with the colorful designs on the big icons. And I like it to be transparant around the icons

I want to achieve that with the least memory usage.

So either a panel with everything else deleted from it or a dock.

I downloaded docky from the metapackage installer but it takes 30 megs of RAM and it isn't behaving well. It won't hide and the icons don't coincide with the tooltips when you hover the mouse over them and it pushes a full-screen window in the wrong direction. If I have to use a compositor, won't that take even more RAM?

Can I achieve a dock look with any of the desktop environment panels?

Any recommendations?
dolphin_oracle
myway_1 wrote:Hi,

I like the way a dock looks with the colorful designs on the big icons. And I like it to be transparant around the icons

I want to achieve that with the least memory usage.

So either a panel with everything else deleted from it or a dock.

I downloaded docky from the metapackage installer but it takes 30 megs of RAM and it isn't behaving well. It won't hide and the icons don't coincide with the tooltips when you hover the mouse over them and it pushes a full-screen window in the wrong direction. If I have to use a compositor, won't that take even more RAM?

Can I achieve a dock look with any of the desktop environment panels?

Any recommendations?
I used to use the lxpanel for that kind of thing.
skidoo
It's been more than a year since I tested. IIRC"docky" would immediately crash if launched when a compositing manager was not running, so for use with icewm/jwm/fluxbox... you'll need to install"compton" (or,"xcompmgr", but I didn't test that) and be sure to start compton prior to launching docky. Maybe you have"adeskbar" or"awn" in mind rather than"docky", but I believe the same requisite applies.

After installing compton, you'll need to (read the docs and) configure its settings. Per my testing, its default settings didn't create a usable result (seemed as though every blessed desktop element wound up 50% transparent).

antiXControlCentre }} User Desktop-Session }} edit the"startup" configuration file to add lines e.g.
. . .
compton &
docky &
. . .

ps:
Post back to let us know what's your preferred dock app.
myway_1
I have used plank and liked it.
Dave
The last few that I have used (before just making everything a keyboard shortcut with a minimal desktop) is wbar and lxpanel. Wbar for when I had a window manager with a decent default panel and lxpanel when I wanted a launcher and a panel.
rokytnji
Dave got me started on wbar in fluxbox in the old days of using aNTIx.

I also played with tintrc

fluxbox-icewm-and-xfce-t2129.html

My wbar back then looked like this

Both were low ram consumers I ran on older gear of mine back then. Now I just run defaults in fluxbox and Icewm with my own little twists. Because. I spend more time outside on my motorcycles, than computers.