dolphin_oracle
I'm not sure what went wrong with the apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade this morning, but I'm getting resolvconf errors, no internet connection, and no slim. Normally I would just nuke my system and start over when this happens, but I thought I might fight my way through this one. Any suggestions as to where to start?

Some info: I can use startx to start icewm, but there are no icons (place holder x's in antix apps as well).

A little tricky to troubleshoot without an internet connection.

thanks,

d.o.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
d.o what repos are you using, sid/testing.wheezy?

Check etc/slim.conf username is corect.
dolphin_oracle
testing.

I will, thanks.
dolphin_oracle
well that did it. spacefm-common jammed up the system. run apt-get install -f fixed everything right up and booted into my existing desktop.

there was a firmware-b43 package error.

Code: Select all

Setting up firmware-b43-installer (1:018-1) ...
No chroot environment found. Starting normal installation
--2013-10-11 12:25:49--  http://www.lwfinger.com/b43-firmware/broadcom-wl-5.100.138.tar.bz2
Resolving www.lwfinger.com (www.lwfinger.com)... failed: No address associated with hostname.
wget: unable to resolve host address 'www.lwfinger.com'
dpkg: error processing firmware-b43-installer (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 4
Errors were encountered while processing:
also, one should disable transmission before updating, as the update will fail if the daemon is running.

thanks for the help!
equimanthorn
Hello to you all,
Dolphin Oracle may I ask if you have use smxi for the dist-upgrade ?
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Hi equimanthorn,

Don't know whether d.o used smxi or not, but the issue and fix is here (if it is of any help).

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://antix.mepis.org/index.php?title=Main_Page"
linktext was:"http://antix.mepis.org/index.php?title=Main_Page"
====================================

under News.
dolphin_oracle
i used

apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
interestingly, I did not need to reset my network connection after running

apt-get -f install
although I did need to run that several times for the upgrade to fully finish.

also strangely, I forgot to remove oss-compat, but I have no delays at boot.
rokytnji
Sounds familiar

how-to-break-your-antix-11-install-t4637.html

Looks like I was not the only one, (drinking!) __{{emoticon}}__
equimanthorn
many thanks to you all
I was curious to learn about this
Alanarchy
Posts 0
Alanarchy
Had this happen yesterday on my old box. Spacefm also seems to now have a gtk3 version. Is changing a good idea does anybody think? Anybody tried it yet, or is it going to be me? LOL

I've since checked Ignorant Guru's Manual and his word is:
When using GTK3, theme choice becomes especially important because themes are often broken with every minor GTK3 release, and a theme not made specifically for your current version of GTK3 can cause memory leaks, GUI glitches, and other severe problems visible in SpaceFM.
so changing is maybe not a good plan.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
antiX uses gtk2 version of spacefm at the moment and for wheezy I would avise users to keep it.
Alanarchy
Posts 0
Alanarchy
That machine runs on EdelweiƟpiraten and Testing.
spacepenguin
Similar problem here, just did a dist-upgrade and now my system boots only into"somewhat" console. The screen flickers between blank and prompt and I can hardly type in two letters before the screen switches. When I manage to log in and type"init 3" nothing changes. When I manage to type"startx" the flickering stops and I'm back in console, getting some message about xserver errors (nothing specific, will try later to look into log file). I'm using EdelweiƟpiraten with Testing too.
Alanarchy
Posts 0
Alanarchy
What is was with mine is that it's a SIS motherboard requiring SIS drivers. Xorg seems to have updated every driver but the SIS one and my box is currently running on the Vesa driver. As the function of that machine is playing music and not a lot else, I can live with that, but I can see why anybody with a SIS machine who uses it for gaming, or graphics, might be somewhat vexed.

However, this is Xorg's fault, not antix's.
spacepenguin
SiS too... I have installed the fixed xserver-xorg-video-sis package from siduction - but nonetheless the problems. Maybe I'll try to dist-upgrade to sid completely this evening and see if the problem persists...