BitJam
I've copied these from
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/post41996.html#p41996"
linktext was:"this post"
====================================
in the inxi thread to get them unburied.
dirkd wrote:
  1. I had to change the repo's to testing by hand. Choosing testing during installation left me with jessie/stable.
  2. I choose for left-handed mouse usage in AntixCC, but the configuration gets lost after logoff/logon cycle.
  3. Same thing for Rox-panel visibility. I'm using a spacefm/fluxbox session, but I want the panel to be visible on top of my screen. After logoff/logon, the panel is hidden again.
  4. As reported elsewhere, YouTube controls are shown scrambled in Iceweasel. This is a big nuisance. Anything I can do about this, short of reinstalling firefox? Maybe a new nVidia driver?
I don't know about issue (1). It is not my field of expertise.

(2) is indeed a bug. It relies on the ~/.xinitrc file for saving the changes but this file is no longer being used. This bug exists in the following scripts: antixmousedefault.pl, antixmousexmodmap.pl, antixmousexset.pl.

(3) The rox-panel choice was never saved across reboots. Perhaps it should be.

I was able to replicate (4) inside of Virtual Box (using the vesa graphics driver) so I don't think it is related to the video driver. The problem did not exist in antiX-15-rc1.1 so it may be due to a recent change in either adobe-flash or in iceweasel. I went to this page:
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://www.youtube.com/html5"
linktext was:"YouTube HTML5 Video Player"
====================================
, I pressed the Request the HTML5 player button then I went back and reloaded the video I was watching and the controls were all back where they are supposed to be.
dirkd
Thanks a lot, BitJam. I had already experimented with some html5 plugins. These plugins replace YouTubes standard player completely. I like your solution better.
BitJam
BTW, you should be able to manually make some changes permanent by editing config files. There are many places you can do this in the Control Centre. Almost all of the files are called"startup" but they exist in different locations:
  • User Desktop-Session (all window managers and a specfic user)
  • Global Desktop-Session (all window managers and all users)
  • Edit Fluxbox settings (Fluxbox and a specific user)
  • Edit jwm Settings (jwm and a specific user)
  • Edit IceWM Settings (IceWM and a specific user)
I'm not certain but I think (2) may get fixed but (3) probably won't be. If you want the rox panel to appear by default then try adding this code to one of the startup files:

Code: Select all

touch"/tmp/ROX_PANEL_VISIBLE"
rox --top=PANEL &
I think you can make the left-hand mouse change by adding this code:

xmodmap -e 'pointer = 3 2 1 4 5' 
Our lean and mean roots are showing. BTW: you can find the location of all the startup files with the command:

locate -r /startup$
The ones under your home directory may not show up if the locate database has not been updated. You can find those with:

find ~ -name startup
dirkd
I already found the mouse and panel fixes. I don't mind the lean and mean roots at all. It means you often CAN fix things. I'm used to Ubuntu, and I find it made me a bit lazy: if something doesn't work there I'm often completely helpless, so after a while I don't bother anymore. In AntiX I can at least understand something about the configuration and studying it brings its rewards. I learned a lot already reading the fluxbox configuration files. I'll delve a bit deeper in the startup files too.

Thanks again.
dirkd
This may or may not be related to the mouse configuration not being saved after logoff/logon.

When I run AntiX in a virtual machine it boots up in an 800x600 pixels window. I can then change the resolution with Antixcc.sh, in the same way as on a physical machine, but after each reboot that screen resolution gets lost, and I am back at 800x600 pixels, which is smallish.

I tried to follow how the screen resolution gets set, in the hope of adding a default resolution of my choice to the startup files, but I lost my way in the arandr python script.
dolphin_oracle
you can use a commandline command to set the resoultion. for instance, to set to 1024x768, use (as regular user)

xrandr -s 1024x768
dirkd
Problem solved! Thanks.
Dave
dolphin_oracle wrote:you can use a commandline command to set the resoultion. for instance, to set to 1024x768, use (as regular user)

xrandr -s 1024x768
I believe that once you setup in arandr you can save the layout to a bash file and run that file in the desktop-session startup.
dirkd
@Dave: that, of course, is the way to go. Thank you. I didn't realise that arandr didn't just save the configuration, but did it in the form of an executable script. A very nice touch of arandr, actually, since the syntax for using xrandr is not exactly transparent (E.g. the -s option was not really suitable since it scaled the desktop in stead of enlarging it, if you understand what I mean. The saved configuration shows the correct syntax to achieve what one wants.)