Xenos Katawin
Hi All,

I did a dist-upgrade and I think I have hosed my PIII box pretty good.

Here's what happened. I had a antiX-7.0 box with open office installed. I messed around trying to install e17 (added some funky repositories to the list) but never got it to work. Then I did the dist-upgrade and now I can't apt-get anything, rox doesn't work, and synaptic is MIA.
I have tried for a couple of weeks to apt-get update; apt-get upgrade. The basic error messages are two.

One- symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2 undefined symbol : gzopen64

Two- openoffice-calc depends openoffice-core (=1:2.4.1-6) but 1:2.4.0-5 is installed

I have tried repeatedly to apt-get -f install, but the process stops with the symbol lookup error.

To me, it looks as if I have a bad (outdated?) library file. The only thing I can think to do is to find a copy of the lib from another box that works and copying it over the file that gives the error. I am hesitant because I really don't think it should be that complicated.

Any thoughts?

Katawin
Last edited by Xenos Katawin on 01 Aug 2008, 18:31, edited 1 time in total.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Have a try at the suggestions in this thread.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libxml2/+bug/151045"
linktext was:"https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/151045"
====================================

I have no idea why that happened.
h2
Xenos Katawin, the odds of you succeeding are pretty low.

If you're going to mess around with alpha software like e17 (it's been in alpha for an eternity now), you should keep your system base VERY basic, ie: pure debian testing or sid, with no extra repos that might put in poorly matched packages.
Xenos Katawin
Anticapitalista cheers!!!

I read the link you sent and the magic worked. I owe you a bottle of my brother-in-law's finest tsipouro.

The fix: (in case someone else has the same problem)

1. Go to /usr/local/lib and delete all the zlib files.
2. run ldconfig
3. apt-get update; apt-get upgrade
4. go get a drink or three and celebrate
iamclueless
Here's what happened. I had a antiX-7.0 box with open office installed. I messed around trying to install e17 (added some funky repositories to the list) but never got it to work.

are you talking about the e17_cvs from cafelinux? if so, ive remastered and gotten it to cooperate quite nicely on top of antix-base - i kinda like it. i installed it first before anything else. silly thing tends to crash when you are configuring the appearance... other than that i can live with it (but wouldnt trust it with anything really important __{{emoticon}}__
Xenos Katawin
Have you got a link? I used e16 a long time ago and really liked it.

I tried the dunnewind.net ubuntu repositories.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Xenos Katawin

You shouldn't use Ubuntu repos in antiX. Even if you get lucky with one or two packages, it will break in the end. Keep to the Debian repos (official ones).
If you want something that is not available in the repos, then compiling from source is better than an Ubuntu deb.
eriefisher
You can get e17 if you add the"experimental" repo from debian

Code: Select all

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ experimental main non-free contrib