rust collector
I have to ask, why do you use network-manager?
coyotito
Not much choice really if you use a distro like Crunchbang (uses tint2 to make it work with Openbox).
Otherwise just habit. Wicd was not a good alternative last time I tried it, several years ago.
But you think the tools that come with antiX are as good or better than networkmanager?

(btw got crunchbang running again using Bleachbit which I found in antiX -didnt know about it. Almost no free disk space so installation was choked by log files etc)
Last edited by coyotito on 23 Jan 2014, 00:27, edited 1 time in total.
dolphin_oracle
I prefer wicd over network-manager these days. I've had zero problems with wicd. It used to have some issues (I remember those days too) but its been rock solid for a number of years now.
rust collector
I was just curious. it works fine, but it is very heavy, imo

(I remove it from #! when i try that)
coyotito
Tried Wicd on my laptop now but it does not see any wifi networks. Neither does wpagui.
The network and adapter appear in Rutilt.
It's unencrypted but with password in browser (university network). so VPN?
Works fine in spite of not appearing in wicd, wpagui so I assumed wicg had not gotten any better since last time.
networkmanager picks it up.
dolphin_oracle
its just missing the interface name which goes into the preferences menu.
jdmeaux1952
coyotito wrote:Tried Wicd on my laptop now but it does not see any wifi networks. Neither does wpagui.
The network and adapter appear in Rutilt.
It's unencrypted but with password in browser (university network). so VPN?
Works fine in spite of not appearing in wicd, wpagui so I assumed wicg had not gotten any better since last time.
networkmanager picks it up.
Have you checked out dolphin oracle's YouTube videos? I know with Wicd you have to set the preferences (little arrow on the Right Side), set your wireless usually as wlan0, and then Refresh to get any wireless to show.

^---- embedded YouTube-hosted video: https://www.youtube.com/i8WO8NaM2tM?list=PLTRkAa6x1htVoyKvMjX8DDQkBJ5YSfVrt

I forgot where I had read about the DNS settings, but I have used 8.8.8.8 and 4.2.2.2 here in the US to get quicker responses. My local ISP is s l o w in trying to connect me over to the websites so I changed mine and get better speeds. Besides I got tired on having some of my favorite sites being randomly blocked.
coyotito
Thanks, now Wicd found em __{{emoticon}}__ I just use what works without looking further.
think I'll put A13 base on the eee701. I have a very small root partition so its really not enough for crunchbang.
and CB is probably on the heavy side for this machine + something has gone wrong, errors
coyotito
networkmanager may be heavy but if the machine has the resources that does not matter.
f.ex on my desktop I use 3G/4G connection. Easiest to have that automated through modemmanager and then you need nm-applet.
rust collector
Aha! ok. That is a reason!