masinick
I hope most of you have heard, but in some locales, release parties are being held today, Saturday February 5, then many release parties are planned for Sunday February 6, and a few more are planned for Monday February 7. I have not seen an official release announcement reach Distro Watch, nor have I seen the final release announcement, but only yesterday there were more Debian mailing list notes suggesting that indeed all is on track to release this week as planned. Hopefully that will be formal very soon.

Once that happens, I am sure that will also help with the completion of both the antiX and the SimplyMEPIS releases for 2011 - and both will have an 11 in the release numbering scheme.

Anti, if there is anything I can do in addition to testing and promotion that I can fit into my schedule and I am able, I will be glad to entertain and consider. Let us know what areas still need help, and between what I can do and hopefully a few other volunteers, we can make this another GREAT antiX release, following the Debian release.
anticapitalista
Site Admin

05 Feb 2011, 21:07 #2

Yes it seems that Squeeze will go final in a few hours and I don't think antiX will be that much later so the more conservative of our users can keep to the squeeze/stable repo.

Unless Warren at MEPIS mannages to get aufs-module working for the 2.6.36 kernel (he has surprised us before!), antiX will ship with the 2.6.32 MEPIS kernel. It is easy to add a newer version either from liquorix (highly recommended) or from MEPIS 11 repos.

We need to get the documentation sorted out ie the FAQ needs updating as there are quite a few changes from 8.5 release.

Also to those who have submitted scripts (Dave) you should get the recognition deserved by addin to the top something like this.

# name and version of the script
# what it does
# Copyright (C) Date your name and email
# License (in this case gplv2)
# This file is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
# under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
# the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.
#
# This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
# WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU
# General Public License for more details.
#
# You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
# along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
# Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.
masinick
Anti, I assumed you meant 2.6.36 when referring to Warren's kernel, or am I mistaken? He's not going clear back to 26, is he? It might be faster, but I suspect a lot of features would be left out with a 26 update. Have you considered shipping with a Liquorix kernel instead of a MEPIS kernel? I don't know what device support is like with Liquorix, but it has always worked for me.

I'll look around at the docs and see if there is any areas where I can contribute. If not, I would certainly be glad to proof read anyone's existing or upcoming work. I've done that for MEPIS and for other efforts as well, and I'd be glad to do it for us here too.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
I meant 2.6.36 (now corrected).

Liquorix only has a 686 kernel and there are no aufs-modules for it either, so running live causes issues as does how we transfer over default changes eh localisation. (I have tried)

Maybe in the future.
clandestine
Good night then the next version of antiX could come with kernel 2.6.37, it would not be viable, but I think it would have more support for peripherals.
clandestine
or else an optimized kernel
masinick
I am starting to see why we are using what we have at the present time. The Debian kernels are pretty good, but they are ancient, (2.6.32-5) and they probably don't support all of the features you are looking for either. I wonder what other systems have done to support aufs-modules - maybe they lack that support? Well, I am sure that the only thing holding up Warren is his work schedule, not his ability to solve these things. I have the utmost confidence that he thoroughly understands what is going on.
clandestine
Speaking of which follows some wallpaper that his friend rabbit Brazil Linux community did
anticapitalista
Site Admin
I really don't think that releasing a livecd/liveusb with a 2.6.32 kernel (as Squeeze will do shortly) is a problem especially as it is so easy to install the latest and greatest on install.
masinick
anticapitalista wrote:I really don't think that releasing a livecd/liveusb with a 2.6.32 kernel (as Squeeze will do shortly) is a problem especially as it is so easy to install the latest and greatest on install.
You're right, anti, as long as the desired level of hardware support is achieved. For antiX, it's probably not an issue at all, as long as the very newest and hottest hardware isn't missed (and that's probably not a big part of our market). I can tell you this; I am running Debian Live completely in memory right now from a build dated Feb 1, and it has a 2.6.32 kernel. It is very fast, very clean, and I have five tabs going on a Chrome browser that I was able to download and keep in memory. I have a GMail tab, a Yahoo Mail tab, an antiX forum tab, a Debian Project Identi.ca feed to follow the announcement, and a Josh Groban Youtube song going, and its all fitting nicely into memory!

I was running antiX from memory less than a week ago and did similar things with antiX, and have many times over the past five years.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Squeeze has now been released. Congrulations to the Debian team.
masinick
anticapitalista wrote:Squeeze has now been released. Congrulations to the Debian team.
Absolutely! This was a great effort, lots of cooperation, and the Debian team did an excellent job updating
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://debian.org/"
linktext was:"http://debian.org/"
====================================
too!