dieselbenz
In case you've wondered what would happen if you tried to use a 64 bit OS on a 32 bit CPU I'm here for you.
I get"Can't start in large mode, use a 32bit distribution"

AntiX 32 bit works fine of course. Mepis 6 has gotten very wonky on this system (acknowledged issue with that version of that distro) so I'm pondering my next move. Not sure if I should go to Mepis 7 or wait for Mepis 8 or maybe try AntiX on it.
Plenty of horsepower, 2.4Ghz processor on an Intel workstation mobo with 2GB of RAM.

-Curt
dieselbenz
Just to clarify -- I didn't cut/paste from one of my own posts, but from what someone else had posted.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Hi dieselbenz.

Curt's box is plenty powerful enough to run MEPIS. I would suggest he install MEPIS 8rc3 (final should be released just after Lenny - around Feb 14th) if he wants a complete desktop environment.

antiX-M8 should go final at the end of this week.
eriefisher
What made"Curt" try a 64bit OS on 32bit hardware?
dieselbenz
eriefisher wrote:What made"Curt" try a 64bit OS on 32bit hardware?
You'd have to know Curt to understand -- this is the sort of thing he would do. Don't lose sight of the fact that the list from which his post came exists for folks like me who nurse antique Mercedes back to life, fix them up, keep them running for as long as possible, and then ... well, that is about all we do. I have a '77 240D and an '86 300E. We are the sort of guys who like to push the envelope of what can be done.

And just for clarification, the original intent of my post was about how antiX had worked well for him. I had suggested it to him, he tried it and loves it.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Hey dieselbenz I think you (and your 'mates' on the list) do and know a bit/lot more than just fix old cars __{{emoticon}}__

Basically Curt will have to decide whether he wants to continue with the 'minimalism' of antiX or change to the 'comfort/bloat' of a full desktop like MEPIS.

In political terms, MEPIS is your confused RepoCrat, not sure where exactly it wants to position itself viz-a-viz other distros, but erring on the conservaive side.
antiX goes beyond this and towards putting the power into the users hands and away from the big powers and it has a social conscience as well .. __{{emoticon}}__ __{{emoticon}}__ __{{emoticon}}__
eriefisher
anticapitalista wrote:and it has a social conscience as well .. __{{emoticon}}__ __{{emoticon}}__ __{{emoticon}}__
That should be the tag line.

"Antix, an OS with a social conscience!"