oldhoghead
Site Admin
My current fluxbox antiX 8.2 test
eriefisher
Looking good.

I notice your conky and swap is at zero. Mine has never left zero and i have even shrunk it once to use the space. Do you ever see you swap getting used?
oldhoghead
Site Admin
eriefisher,

I guess my ram is sufficent, as I have never used any swap on this laptop, now on my old laptop with only 384mb ram, I have seen it use swap. Might be interesting to try to start enough apps to see if swap is used.

cheers,
oldhoghead
plvera
oldhoghead:

It looks good!

erie:

My swap never moves, at least on my main laptop with 2G RAM. I've also noticed that during boot up, I get two fail messages, both dealing with activating swap. So, my guess is that, at least in this box, swap is not working. I'm not sure how to fix it or if it even makes a difference.

Pedro
dark-D
my biggest swap usage was 300 KB __{{emoticon}}__ ) i have 1 GB of ram. when i had 512 mb of ram on my old desktop the swap wasn't used there, either. after one ram fried and i remained in 256 mb of ram the swap was used about 80-100 mb of swap at full usage. that's why when i bought my laptop i asked around if i could delete the swap, but erie suggested it's good to keep it.
Hal343
I'm running 2 Gigs on my desktop and have never seen swap used. I don't believe it's really necessary when we have a Gig or more of ram unless we run several memory-hungry programs or try to program with blender or something. However, I keep a swap partition around just in case.
masinick
On my Gateway PA6A 17" portable, I have a 1.73 GHz Intel Duo Core processor and 2 GB of RAM. Even running with KDE 4.2.2 on other less memory efficient distributions, I never see swap being used, but I still reserve a big one so that I can suspend or hibernate on occasion. I don't drive the memory use very high; seldom do I use more than four or five applications running at a time. With antiX it barely tickles memory, and man is it fast, especially Live, loaded into RAM!