CrunchBang...The End

KrunchTime
The developer of CrunchBang has opted to cease development of the distro.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=416493#p416493"
linktext was:"http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 93#p416493"
====================================

I'm planning to run all antiX now; one partition with stable and one with testing. I'm glad I began checking out other distros when there were rumblings in the CrunchBang forums about the distro ending.
DeepDayze
Welcome to AntiX, KrunchTime! You can't go wrong with switching to AntiX and if you have issues or questions feel free to bring them up as there's a great community here.
KrunchTime
Thank you DeepDayze. I have, but the activity on the forums here pales in comparison to the activity on the CrunchBang forums.
thriftee
I guess that happens. I don't agree with his comment there that everyone would be better off running stock debian, though. I mean it works and is solid, but its just too much heavy lifting for any older machines. But I can understand if after 10 years he's wanting to devote time to other things instead. Anyway, I think it was a good distro with some nice features, but he's also right that there are more good choices now than 10 yrs ago, too.

I guess with Debian 8 out soon and the systemd debate adding to the fray, a lot of people will also be trying to find new home distro, so its not just you. Its good for you that you were thinking ahead early on.

So welcome to antiX, who knows, maybe you are just one of the first coming this way. It is what you make it __{{emoticon}}__
fatmac
Welcome aboard.
I came here from #!, my choice, as I found Antix to be a lighter distro all round.
I started with 'base' which used (my favourite WM) Fluxbox, so it was win win for me.
Also, I found that AntiX is quite straight forward to remaster, providing you read the docs.
Two other distros I like are TinyCore & SliTaz - TC is basically a modern improved DSL.
(All three distros are live/installable/remasterable.)
KrunchTime
thriftee wrote:I guess with Debian 8 out soon and the systemd debate adding to the fray, a lot of people will also be trying to find new home distro, so its not just you. Its good for you that you were thinking ahead early on.
Actually, most people seem to be acceptable of systemd. I'm not happy about it because I think it tries to do too much, which isn't the spirit of Unix/Linux. However, I think it's futile at this point to fight it. I looked at possible alternatives (Salix), but even someone in the Salix forums stated that Slackware (and hence, Salix) may have no choice but to use systemd. I guess that leaves Gentoo, but that is way more fiddling than I care to get involved in.

@fatmac: Yes, I remember seeing your username over at the CrunchBang forums.
thriftee
I see a lot of resistance to systemd sprouting up. At Manjaro, there is now an OpenRc spin, which I did generated static menus for and it works well. Slackware itself is too much a heavyweight, but Slackopup, Slitaz, Slackel and Salix all have good points. The only issue I have with Slack distros is the dependence issue, and I prefer Debian and Arch solutions as far as packaging. Slackopup is not too bad in that regard, and is more flexible about running all kinds of code, and by default brings in its own repo, slackware, salix, slitaz and one called slacky, I think.

Anyway, myself I see systemd as counter to the basic intent of linux. My old clunkers need efficient code, or they are off to the junkpile. If I wanted to run code that I couldn't understand and couldn't tweak or tune, I'd just reload the MS garbage that came with the machines.
KrunchTime
thriftee wrote:Anyway, myself I see systemd as counter to the basic intent of linux. My old clunkers need efficient code, or they are off to the junkpile. If I wanted to run code that I couldn't understand and couldn't tweak or tune, I'd just reload the MS garbage that came with the machines.
I read a similar response somewhere else recently.
thriftee wrote:So welcome to antiX, who knows, maybe you are just one of the first coming this way. It is what you make it __{{emoticon}}__
I've put in a plug for this distro more than once over at the CrunchBang forums. In fact, I recommended the distro to a user today.
DeepDayze
KrunchTime wrote:
thriftee wrote:I guess with Debian 8 out soon and the systemd debate adding to the fray, a lot of people will also be trying to find new home distro, so its not just you. Its good for you that you were thinking ahead early on.
Actually, most people seem to be acceptable of systemd. I'm not happy about it because I think it tries to do too much, which isn't the spirit of Unix/Linux. However, I think it's futile at this point to fight it. I looked at possible alternatives (Salix), but even someone in the Salix forums stated that Slackware (and hence, Salix) may have no choice but to use systemd. I guess that leaves Gentoo, but that is way more fiddling than I care to get involved in.

@fatmac: Yes, I remember seeing your username over at the CrunchBang forums.
I have systemd running on my AntiX (with Debian Sid as a base) T42 laptop and haven't had any real issues relating to systemd as yet, but yes on older slower machines there might be some slowdowns with it. Yes I agree systemd should not be the only choice but merely another choice. However devs are reluctant to maintain packages built for 2 different init systems (SysV and systemd).
coyotito
installed Salix on a desktop machine from Xp era.
I expected dep probs as I was used to Debian but much easier than feared - no prob at all getting what
was not in repo set up through compiling manually, the gslapt frontend and even the automatic compile frontend they have works (sometimes).

Salix is a real alternative if Slack keeps systemd out or an option.
thriftee
You might get into problems with Salix if you find yourself wanting to run something that they don't have setup.

Slackel was similar, but better, IMO, especially when I ran it with a Sltaz cooker kernel (same kernel version as Debian Wheezey)

Tried Slax, too. The best of all the Slackware distros so far has been Slacko Pup.

I think either the Debian Developers have underestimated how strong the anti-systemd sentiment is, or maybe they just don't care. I'm avoiding anything with systemd like the plague. I have no interest putting any effort whatsoever into any distro that includes it by default. I bet there are a lot of others like me in that regard, too.
rokytnji
@coyoto. Learn Sourcery in Salix also.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://docs.salixos.org/wiki/Sourcery"
linktext was:"http://docs.salixos.org/wiki/Sourcery"
====================================

I still find Salix more of a jockey shift vs handle bar control type of distro.
It can be driven and works fine and dandy. Just takes a different skill set and if you don't know what
you are doing. You fall over.
fatmac
If Linux does succumb to systemd - I may move full time to BSD, they are still faithful to the unix philosophy.
coyotito
agreed thriftee, it did not feel like you have it all set up like Debian.
Now my needs are simple and I think i could make do with it. It is cool to get latest versions, compiling is most of the time easy.
It's not for new laptops though, not default kernel anyhow

thx roky will try sourcery (pc was put away for now)
coyotito
I believe Salix has improved a bit too.. as Corenominal states in his closing announcement for Crunchbang other distros (Debian, (X)ubuntu have improved to the point of making !# less relevant.
Certainly the improvement in Xubuntu is quite fantastic, this has now pretty much the stability of Debian, you can run it and forget about it.