THX1138
Oh right, so base probably would have xwindows then? I hope to try it pretty soon in that case. I still worry about the unanticipated pitfalls though.
figosdev
it does, here is a quote from anti:
antiX-full (c700MB) -4 windows managers - IceWM(default), fluxbox, jwm and herbstluftwm

antiX-base (c520MB) -3 windows managers - fluxbox(default), jwm and herbstluftwm

antiX-core-libre (c200MB) - no X. Just enough to get you connected (wired) and ready to build. Uses a libre kernel.
BitJam
Thanks for the quote figsosdev.  I don't know when it was made but I think the antiX-17 core system is slightly better than what anti said.  We have ceni for wireless connectivity and we  added the cli-aptiX package manager and the antiX-cli-cc Control Centre.    Old hands may not have much need for these new tools but I think they make the core system much easier for relative newcomers.  Command-line-only still gets short shrift in some areas such as the cli-installer but many of our home-grown tools such as live-remaster, persist-save, live-usb-maker, and others work in the command line as well as in a GUI.  It's been an interesting challenge to make programs that work well on the command line as well as in a GUI without massive code duplication.

I think the lack of Synaptic made the base system less usable by relative newcomers because it forced them to learn apt-get and friends, but the new cli-aptiX package manager now fills that hole in base as well as core.
figosdev
it was from a fairly recent point update for antix 16. but of course, 17 has new stuff.
skidoo
is there a table available, showing differences between

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"(viewtopi c.p hp)?f=58&t=6451&p=47303&hilit=base+full+packages#p47303"
linktext was:"(info) detailed comparison: contents of FULL vs BASE version"
====================================

^-------- can view here a diff list (packages in antiX16"full" which are absent from"base")
I want to get rid of everything in the Office folder and everything in the Music and Video (my system doesn't even have speakers) folder and also Games. It's quite a slow process when I have to open up the menu each time to find another apps odd name (they'd be easier to remember if they were called something I could pronounced instead of stuff like"GtpSib2k". It would be nice if more app names hinted at what the heck they do as well!
"I want to get rid of everything in the Office folder"
Do you actually mean in the Office category of the desktop menu?
If so, with an eye to the"checkboxes, options to uninstall" list you envisioned... a categorical picklist would be muddied by the fact that some items are associated with multiple categories. Also, the menu category assignments are primarily assigned"upstream" (at the discretion of the debian software repository's individual package maintaners)."ted" text editor winds up displayed under Office,"geany" and"leafpad" are pegged as Accessories...

"It would be nice if more app names hinted at what the heck they do as well!"
I agree ~~ far too many of the displayed app"names" (and packagenames) are unintuitive.
But it"is what it is", a shared TowerOfBabel namespace, shared across developers/users making contributions in 60(?)+ languages...

The"lightweight" desktop environments (er, window manager session) pre-installed in antiX are"light" (snappy, low overhead) partially because they forego some of the niceties provided by other desktop interfaces. For instance, ability to right-click a menu entry (to find out more about, or edit/clarify) is not supported. Also, the menus provided by WMs pre-installed in antiX don't support onhover/mouseover display of extended description for an item. Prior forum topics & videos produced by dolphin_oracle are available to coach you on installation of"Mate desktop" which, IIRC, provides these features, FWIW.
masinick
Starting with an extremely limited set of programs and utilities, as antiX Core does, it nowhere near as difficult as many of you (who do not want to risk doing anything without the help and benefit of a graphical user interface) may tend to believe.

It does take a bit of time and research, but if you do that research - especially right from a Web browser instead of a book or magazine, it's possible to collect and copy every single command that you need to install the necessary software you want.  You'd be surprised what you get.

For instance, just by installing a few key packages, which are either meta-packages or major infrastructure package groups, you can put together an entire system from collected information.  You do have to think about it in advance and copy all of the commands you want to use onto some removable media, putting them into either a single script or a collection of statements, so it's work, but truly not that much.

I'm not positive whether I shared some of my antiX Core excursions here or in other forums, but I've written more than one step by step tutorial over the years.  If you do a search with my name and antiX Core, you may find them.
masinick
Long, old, (not all relevant any more), but nevertheless, contains a number of commands you could either use or adapt to create your own personal system pretty much from scratch using antiX Core.  The main difference today is that you'd have to use newer links if you want a current starting point.

Check out 
url was:"https://brianmasinick.blogspot.com/2012/02/creating-your-very-own-antix-core.html"
linktext was:"https://brianmasinick.blogspot.com/2012 ... -core.html"
for some ideas, even if they are OLD ideas.  Many of them may work directly, and all of them can be tailored or modified and you can create whatever you want.
figosdev
masinick-- ive installed x lots of times. my concern is that (since my remaster process avoids using chroot) that on first boot, a remastered antix core might not go straight into x without some kind of initial fiddling. this isnt about whether i can install slim, or whether xorg.conf is needed, or typing startx.

given the simplicity of the remaster, it might just be easier to stick to distros that have x included. i certainly dont mind installing it on my computer. it needs to be ready to run live (if i experiment enough it might even work. im at least waiting for 17 to be out of rc.)

but no-- its not that much trouble to get x running without x pre-installed, per machine. i may look up those tutorials to find out if there are hints there.
skidoo
It's nice that you wrote blog posts, and interesting to hear that ninjas can avoid use of chroot when remastering but...
OP has mentioned that s/he just
url was:"(viewtopi c.p hp)?f=16&t=7170&p=53001&hilit=teleprompter#p53001"
linktext was:"wants to setup a system which will serve as a teleprompter"
and get on with life.
Long, old, (not all relevant any more)
yep, i resemble that remark.
rokytnji
Core install made easy

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
First

Then

harry@biker:~
$ apt search synaptic
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
apt-cacher/oldstable 1.7.10+deb8u2 all
  Caching proxy server for Debian/Ubuntu software repositories

packagekit/oldstable 1.0.1-2 i386
  Provides a package management service

python-brian/oldstable 1.4.1-2 all
  simulator for spiking neural networks

synaptic/oldstable,now 0.81.2 i386 [installed]
  Graphical package manager

xserver-xorg-input-synaptics/oldstable,now 1.8.1-1 i386 [installed]
  Synaptics TouchPad driver for X.Org server

xserver-xorg-input-synaptics-dbg/oldstable 1.8.1-1 i386
  Synaptics TouchPad driver for X.Org server

xserver-xorg-input-synaptics-dev/oldstable 1.8.1-1 all
  Synaptics TouchPad driver for X.Org server (development headers)

$ apt search leafpad
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
leafpad/oldstable,now 0.8.18.1-4 i386 [installed]
  GTK+ based simple text editor

lxde/oldstable 6 all
  Metapackage for LXDE

mousepad/oldstable 0.3.0-2 i386
  simple Xfce oriented text editor

$ su
Password: 
root@biker:/home/harry# apt-get install synaptic leafpad -y 

plus whatever applications like browser, IDE , or whatever else you wish or can think of.  Hell. If I can handle it. Anyone can. Old Kitchen sink hand made install by me ages ago.

url was:"https://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?t=31202&f=11"
linktext was:"https://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?t=31202&f=11"

I learned that LXDE and me don't get along. Runs fine I guess. Just not as light as I thought.  Plus all the crap a LXDE install can pull in can make ones head spin.

Info:      Processes 89 Uptime 2:59 Memory 160.7/492.4MB Client Shell inxi 1.7.9
skidoo

python-brian/oldstable 1.4.1-2 all
  simulator for spiking neural networks
WTH?

You're really a neurosurgeon, you've just been messin' with us, playing the role of BiKeRdUdE online, eh?
BitJam
rokytnji wrote: Core install made easy
Roky, give cli-aptiX and antiX-cli-cc a go.   The cli-aptiX program makes package installation in core even easier.  These were both added in antiX-17.  On a live boot, antiX-cli-cc is in your Bash history so <up-arrow> should bring up that command.   We tried to give core more love this time around.
rokytnji
Sure thing. Lot's of irons in the fire for me lately.
BitJam
rokytnji wrote: Sure thing. Lot's of irons in the fire for me lately.
I understand.  I'm often too busy coding to properly advertise new features and programs to the public.  I see you as an extremely valuable asset and ambassador so I will sometimes pass new information to you so you can eventually tell others.  I probably should have PMed.  The last time I tried to do a PM here there was no preview feature which for me is nearly a show-stopper.
fatmac
Interesting reading through this thread, so I'm getting the impression that 'core' now has/sets up wifi(?).
It is one reason that I always resorted to 'base' - I could just add 'X' , fluxbox & browser to get going. :)
(That would make things about as easy as I find setting up OpenBSD.)