colinkeenan
Gateway Profile 3
633MHz Intel Celeron, built in math processor, 128kb external cache
256MB SDRAM
Wired Ethernet access via a CardBus Realtek RTL8139 based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
antiX-M8.5-686

Found this machine in the trash and it worked but was running Windows ME so no modern browser was possible. Lubuntu didn't install at all and although Mint installed, it couldn't see the Ethernet adapter hardware so no driver could be used.

Finally, antiX-M8.5-686 got this machine on the internet, but for some reason, the install program would not let me enable Samba so I can't get this computer on my Windows network.

After figuring out that I have to login as root using"su" and not"sudo", I tried"apt-get -f install samba" but got the following error:

"Package samba is not available, but is referred to by another package. This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another source
However the following pacages replace it:
samba-common-bin samba-common"

How do I enable samba and get this machine on my Windows network?
afab4
if all you want to do is be able to access other computers on your network, following the instructions in this link will get you there:

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.mepislovers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22544"
linktext was:"http://www.mepislovers.org/forums/showt ... hp?t=22544"
====================================

The only program you will need to install is smbclient if you want to be able to access printers via samba.
colinkeenan
Thank you afab4, but I was not able to install smbclient. I got the following error:

smbclient: Depends: samba-common (= 2:3.2.5-4lenny13) but 2:3.4.7~dfsg-1 is to be installed

I got a similar error on some other packages I tried to install but don't remember which ones at the moment. I don't understand if it's saying my version of samba-common is too new for the most current smbclient or if it's saying my version of samba-common is too old. I've already done apt-get upgrade and it upgraded everything except 4 packages it kept back: libgphoto2-2, libgphoto2-port0, musicmanager, and synaptic. So, as far as I can understand, I have the most up to date version of samba-common but smbclient wants the older version. How do I fix this?
colinkeenan
I found another way to try and install samba.

anXti menu/Applications/Accessories/metapackage-installer

When I chose to install samba from there, it did a lot of work and ended with some errors I don't understand. I don't know if it helped or not. Synaptic package manager still shows that samba and smbclient are not installed.

However, I decided to click on that link afab4 supplied and it worked anyway! Maybe you don't need smbclient. My antiX computer still doesn't show up in the Windows network or any other network either, but at least I can access the Windows Network.

Almost forgot, I had also found from antiX Control Center/System/Configure System, I could set the SaMBa workgroup, but not sure that helped anything.

I just did a search on samba in Synaptic package Manager and I see that smbc (samba-commander - curses based samba network browser) is installed. I guess that's why the instructions in the link afab4 supplied worked without smbclient. antiX must now be using smbc instead of smbclient.

Also, as a bonus, in that link it explains how to make applications start on login which was the next thing I wanted to know.

So, thank you very much for that link, afab4.
colinkeenan
Well, the explanation for how to make applications start on login doesn't work. But I think I'll find what I need in antiX Control Center/Desktop/Edit Fluxbox Setting/Startup (and I'm also changing the menu to have Browser be google-chrome.
colinkeenan
Well, I wasn't actually using fluxbox but having edited fluxbox settings instead of icewm, I tried it (by pressing f1 before logging in) and it worked great. I'm staying with fluxbox now because it's increadibly faster than icewm on this machine. The most obvious difference is in launching mplayer when clicking on a movie file on the windows network.
Last edited by colinkeenan on 05 Nov 2010, 05:01, edited 1 time in total.
colinkeenan
If anyone can tell me how to get samba working so this computer will show up on the Windows network, I would still like to do that. The error is the same as for smbclient (which I guess I don't need) but I do need Samba:

Depends: samba-common (-2:3.2.5-4lenny13) but 2:3.4.7~dfsg-1 is to be installed