Stuart O'mahony
At my /home directory a few unaccounted files seemed to have sprung up, each with seamingly random character names like buQiF6, additionally, video previews aren't showing up in ROX for newly created video files. Do you suppose this is corruption?

I did run clamav, but it stopped with an error message* after running for several minutes, and had ctrl-C out of the program.

Been running, and very happy with Anti-x for a good number of months now, everything setup how I like it -- should I re-install?

*not to flag up a virus! Just some 'incomprehensible' debug info.
secipolla
No virus there.
It must be some config files for some misbehaving app, have you any clues?

I wouldn't think it's the case for reinstallation but it wouldn't be that difficult now that there are updated ISOs and then you should make sure you check to preserve /home in the installer and also set the same user name that you currently use so it will use your current home directory.
Stuart O'mahony
Stuart O'mahony
secipolla wrote:No virus there.
It must be some config files for some misbehaving app, have you any clues?
None at all; it's twice this has happened, but on both occasions I just stumbled upon the files later.

I didn't reakise/ had forgotten you could preserve the /home partition, but so long as there's no corruption on my system i'll leave things be. The video profiles thing is a pain, I don't know what's happened here... (they're newly symlinked vid files, but this filetype is, and has been fine for older files -- same method of linking employed)
secipolla
Well, the configuration for ROX is in ~/.config/ROX/roxsourceforge.net or something like that (I'm in a system without ROX now). There are some folders, like for mime types and other settings.
When some config is messed up, usually deleting the files (or renaming just in case you need the old files as a reference) can solve it since the app will recreate them when needed. Don't delete the mime types for ROX otherwise you'll have to set up manually the default application to open every type of file. But do search for some file that you reckon to be the video-thumbnailer config file and delete or rename it as a backup so the app will start fresh again.
Consider also reinstalling/updating the video-thumbnailer app and see if makes any difference.

Also I've seen some video editing tools like Avidemux and the sort to create cryptically named files in the home folder, have you been using any? Note that they are meaningful files for those apps, but maybe a bit misplaced.