topic title: Core working
spaceman
Thanks anti and anyone and everyone who contributed to getting 15 and particularly Core out the door!

I don't see a lot of feedback and I wonder what the audience for Core is, but I love it. 15 Core works perfectly (for me YMMV). I encountered no errors with cli-installer or networking post install.

I installed xorg and slapped down the new Xfce 4.12 and ran it up the flagpole. No issues. None. Naddah. Zilch. Zero.

Truth to tell the only issues I have encountered thus far are Xfce related (I fix the greyed out restart / shutdown buttons regularly, but can I remember how, and I usually document everything AND THIS IS EXACTLY WHY!) and smxi, which I asked to change my Debian mirror to 36 UK and it did, but badly:

Code: Select all

deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
Sadly, that's not right and returns apt errors. I replicated this on the missus' PC too and the netbook. I used smxi to switch back to US mirrors thinking they'd work. FAIL.

The devil is in the detail and your web browser is your friend, I worked out (trial and error) that it should look like this:

deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ testing-updates main contrib non-free
Of course using Steam with proprietary nVidia drivers is almost as much fun as getting Wine1.7 to work (it doesn't yet...) I tried the nouveau drivers but I'm still getting a steamui.so error...related to 32 bit libraries on my 64 bit system. Now that rings a bell. __{{emoticon}}__
Edit: YAY! apt-get install libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386 fixed Steam! Next stop Wine. Yeah whatever.

But as I say, these are (user/) third party software issues. So happy days for Core. __{{emoticon}}__

I hate computers. __{{emoticon}}__
Last edited by spaceman on 07 Jul 2015, 13:02, edited 1 time in total.
rust collector
I have been missing an up to date core for some time.
I use it as an easier netinstall sort of thing.
(I also have to admit I have not tried 15 core yet, lol)
BitJam
spaceman wrote:smxi, which I asked to change my Debian mirror to 36 UK and it did, but badly ...
FYI: if you set the F3-Timezone or F2-Language in the Live bootloader then we will set the mirrors for you automatically based on the timezone city. These settings should carry over when you do an install.

I'm not certain the program /sbin/localize-repo survives the install process. If it does then you can use it to set your mirrors after you've done an install.
spaceman
BitJam wrote:FYI: if you set the F3-Timezone or F2-Language in the Live bootloader then we will set the mirrors for you automatically based on the timezone city.
Is this available in core sir? /sbin/localize-repo sadly does not survive the installation. Fortunately I've butchered more than my fair share of text config files in the last twenty years going all the way to Windows 2.x and Slackware in 1995/6 XD, and broken more installations than many people have had installations. __{{emoticon}}__

At the moment my main concern is how much performance I can squeeze out of the nouveau drivers once I get Wine working. Happy days are here again. SING WITH ME! __{{emoticon}}__

I'd quite like to be able to shutdown / restart from Xfce too...
Edit: Aha!

Create etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/consolekit.pkla with the
contents:

[restart]
Identity=unix-user:*
Action=org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.restart
ResultAny=yes

[stop]
Identity=unix-user:*
Action=org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.stop
ResultAny=yes
Almost forgot: apt-get install policykit-1

Like I say Core is great, the user...hmmm...
Last edited by spaceman on 07 Jul 2015, 13:07, edited 1 time in total.
spaceman
I re-fixed my repos et viola (as above, now corrected) and un-mired myself. Wine1.7 will install correctly form the liquorix repo as normal!

I have encountered something and I will continue plugging away at the issue independently, which may be a problem with antiX...or not. ;D

$ sudo apt-get install slim
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
slim is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 16 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] 
Setting up slim (1.3.6.5.10) ...
[ ok ] Reloading system message bus config...done.
Reconfiguring etc/slim.conf
var/lib/dpkg/info/slim.postinst: 50: var/lib/dpkg/info/slim.postinst: usr/share/antiX/lib/make-xinitrc: not found
dpkg: error processing package slim (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 127
Errors were encountered while processing:
 slim
E: Sub-process usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
I can only"fix" this at present by ripping slim back out. I can see no reason not to rip slim out (with it's dodgy Policykit security hole I just found out about) when LightDM works perfectly. Oh look usable restart and shutdown buttons! __{{emoticon}}__
BitJam
spaceman wrote:
BitJam wrote:FYI: if you set the F3-Timezone or F2-Language in the Live bootloader then we will set the mirrors for you automatically based on the timezone city.
Is this available in core sir?
Yes. I just checked antiX-15-V_386-core-libre.iso to be sure. Both the F2-Language and F3-Timezone menus are there.
/sbin/localize-repo sadly does not survive the installation.
Thanks for lettting me know. I will add it to the list of minor bugs to be fixed in 15.1.
spaceman
BitJam wrote:
spaceman wrote:
Is this available in core sir?
Yes. I just checked antiX-15-V_386-core-libre.iso to be sure. Both the F2-Language and F3-Timezone menus are there.
Er, I know I'm a dumbass but isn't this GUI-stuff, how does a numpty access this functionality? I am looking at my keyboard and pressing F2 and F3 and thinking"You're doing it wrong, moron..." __{{emoticon}}__

Sorry BitJam. __{{emoticon}}__
skidoo
if you set the F3-Timezone or F2-Language in the Live bootloader
the Fkey-accessible settings are displayed to the boot screen
rip slim out (with it's dodgy Policykit security hole I just found out about
???
what 'security hole'? Where did you hear/read about this?

p.s.
FWIW, I don't place much trust in lightDM

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=lightdm+vulnerability"
linktext was:"https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=li ... nerability"
====================================
spaceman
skidoo wrote:
if you set the F3-Timezone or F2-Language in the Live bootloader
the Fkey-accessible settings are displayed to the boot screen
rip slim out (with it's dodgy Policykit security hole I just found out about
???
what 'security hole'? Where did you hear/read about this?

p.s.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=lightdm+vulnerability"
linktext was:"https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=li ... nerability"
====================================
Oh, on teh boot screen! I said I was a moron. __{{emoticon}}__

"Light Display Manager could be made to expose sensitive information locally." If it is only locally, I can live with that. __{{emoticon}}__

Let me find the issue with slim, it has to do with the permissions required to allow Xfce users to shutdown reboot. I'll get back to you. __{{emoticon}}__

Edit: Dammit, finding it is proving as difficult as solving the issue I had getting shutdown/restart to work with slim. Short answer is that I couldn't get shutdown/restart working for any user account so switched to LightDM however, there was a suggestion the part of the Slim/Xfce4 solution would be to grant elevated rights to the user to permit shutting down, traditionally only possible with root (the login manager having root shutdown rights rather than the user), so it implied a potential security flaw in granting elevate rights to users...or something. I wish I could find it now. Long story story LightDM is a bit fatter than Slim but I can shutdown/restart like a pro. __{{emoticon}}__
masinick
Hi Bitjam, I'm not 100% positive that I was experiencing the exact same symptoms as Spaceman, but the few problems I had with antiX 15 were in the Core image, which apparently has not recently had as much code and user testing as it had in the early days, and the changes made seem to run a somewhat different code path in the configuration scripts.

What I've noticed so far in my admittedly limited testing of antiX 15 Core are:

Repo config: I believe I encountered a scenario where the repo chosen did not equal the one I selected. First time I attempted installation I chose Sid but was given the current stable release. The other issue I encountered was with reusing /home. I'm not positive, but I do not believe I encountered the same issues when I installed antiX 15 Full (32 bit) but it may have been because I made different selections.

My antiX Full installation as currently configured works great. Once installed, it works pretty much as expected; I have not exercised every possible code path or anything close to it, but what I have been using recently works perfectly. I've been primarily using the IceWM window manager with my 32 bit antiX 15 Full installation.
Jerry

p.s.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=li ... nerability
That was many versions ago. MX Dev Team has just put the most recent version of 1.6.3 into the mx15 repo, along with a nice settings editor.