topic title: Conky at startup
eriefisher
Wow, that's really cool!! I didn't know it was that flexible. OOi, do you just grab icons from various sources & use them (jpg's, png's, xpm's etc) or are there icons supplied?
I think the only format not supported is svg.

I have to go so I will send the files when I get back.

eriefisher
Subito Piano
Oh - but i LIKE the roxified desktop!!! Mostly, i am constantly thinking of those i introduce Linux to. They kinda get lost without those familiar desktop icons...although certainly icewm looks kinda familiar even without them.

I like the earlier suggestion of having options at bootup to pick whether or not to use the panel. I once tried another distro (Vector Live, i forget which version) that had several wm options at the login screen, including:

icewm
roxified icewm
fluxbox
roxified fluxbox

I only say this because it was great to be able to choose from several preconfigured window managers and have every one of them working correctly"out of the box." Since i was less familiar with the various desktop environments then, i booted into one and tried it, logged out, tried the next, etc. It was great and i quickly found one i liked!

So there, i've said it (again!) -- my two bits. My next stop is to download and test the antiX-KDElite version. (Probably i will find it even more newbie-friendly since it's KDE.)

Now that i am voting for more work and headaches for anticapitalista, maybe antiX could come with all that complicated tweaking already done so users can have both the icons AND conky going at the same time. (I could donate some bottles of Exedrin... __{{emoticon}}__ )

Kidding aside, you are doing really cool stuff! It is wonderful to have so many choices in the Mepis family. Thank you!
impuwat
Sorry...this is a little late but life (or death in this case) has had me sidetracked for a month or so.

I will always vote for the fluxbox desktop as the default. I see the value of rox set up with some default icons but would rather have it as the secondary choice.

Keep up the good work!
OU812
Subito Piano's suggestion reminds me of older vector linux releases.

If your wallpaper has"gray bars" on the sides, then this is probably related to the way rox is displaying the wall. You need to enable the stretch option (I think that's what it's called - or maybe scaled). Right-click on an icon and you should be able to figure it out from there (I'm using a kde desktop right now so I can't give you specifics).

So maybe using rox to manage the desktop is not to everyone's liking; in fact, I don't like it much either (or the way pcmanfm mangages desktop is perhaps more awkward). Perhaps it would be better to use idesk for icons or go all out and use wbar as vector linux has done. The gains from using rox are outweighed by the losses?

Overall, I like the direction in which antix is heading. The repos are still a bit of a sticking point though - there's pros and cons to using the mepis 7.0 repos and the antix ones. Keep up the good work and the dialogs.

john
DJiNN
I've tried a few times to get into using Rox as the manager, but it just doesn't work for me. That's why i think idesk (or something similar) is better.

Isn't there something called fbdesk for fluxbox which will give you an iconified desktop?
harii
Don't fbdesk only work with fluxbox ?
If we use idesk it would work with icewm & fluxbox.
Idesk, Yab, wbar or tablaunch bar on top with only the basics?

Mail
Files/Home
Chat
Web
OU812
I tried wbar once. It took a little work to get it going. One problem I didn't solve was changing wallpaper messed up the wbar background a little bit. I took a look a vector linux's config, but never had a chance to implement it. When antix goes final, I'll give it a try on my desktop.

john
harii
i think SAM linux uses wbar as well.
i downloaded it up to look where the config files went but never got anywhere.
easier fish to fry--other things to try
DJiNN
wbar is really cool (at the moment) & possibly moreso than idesk, and that's why it's so popular. It does look slick/cool, and also does it's job very well, when it's set up correctly, which is easier said than done (at least in my limited experience) __{{emoticon}}__

Does anyone here know if awn (Avant Window Manager) will work within fluxbox (GTK etc) or is it"Gnome Only"? Shame if it is, because it looks great! Don't you just love eyecandy!? __{{emoticon}}__