cpufreak101
so i recently got antix for an old laptop i got, i'm trying to get it to be in a dual boot with xp so i partitioned it to have 19 gigabytes with 1 gig of swap space (note, the xp partition is 20 gigs) and i tried installing antix, everything goes well then it hits 95% complete before the computer freezes and the screen cuts to black after a few minutes. i even let it sit overnight to do it's thing but nothing ever happened, might i get some help with this?
jdmeaux1952
First things first. What type and model of laptop? This lets us know what you are working with.

Secondly, which version of antix are you installing?

With that info, maybe the sleuths around here can figure it out.

Usually when a screen goes black, it is because 1- the incorrect video driver is being used, or 2- the incorrect resolution is being utilized. Antix does have"cheat codes" to solve this problem.

post30377.html?hilit=cheat%20codes#p30377
cpufreak101
jdmeaux1952 wrote:First things first. What type and model of laptop? This lets us know what you are working with.

Secondly, which version of antix are you installing?

With that info, maybe the sleuths around here can figure it out.

Usually when a screen goes black, it is because 1- the incorrect video driver is being used, or 2- the incorrect resolution is being utilized. Antix does have"cheat codes" to solve this problem.

post30377.html?hilit=cheat%20codes#p30377
it is a dell Latitude D810 (explosive battery replaced) and if i posted it under antix 15 what do you think? i know i used the latest one when i burned the disk, and i will include when i had it use the entire disk i had no issues, only when i try to install in a dual boot i have issues
cwilliams
I feel your pain , some laptops can be a stinker to get the graphics up properly.
It sound like you will need a fglrx (ATI) driver for the machine.
Here's some info to start.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.linlap.com/dell_latitude_d810"
linktext was:"http://www.linlap.com/dell_latitude_d810"
====================================

Looks like the driver takes a bit of fiddling.

url was:"http://www.linlap.com/configuring_the_fglrx_module_for_ati_graphics_chips_in_debian_gnu_linux_5.0"
linktext was:"http://www.linlap.com/configuring_the_f ... _linux_5.0"

I think you can do most of it with the smxi script from the prompt.
The important thing to know is the video card type.
ATI Mobility Radeon x600 is probably it.
From the prompt , as root , try inxi -F
Write it down.
Try the smxi script and check back , lets see what you have so far.
Colin
cpufreak101
cwilliams wrote:I feel your pain , some laptops can be a stinker to get the graphics up properly.
It sound like you will need a fglrx (ATI) driver for the machine.
Here's some info to start.

url was:"http://www.linlap.com/dell_latitude_d810"
linktext was:"http://www.linlap.com/dell_latitude_d810"

Looks like the driver takes a bit of fiddling.

url was:"http://www.linlap.com/configuring_the_fglrx_module_for_ati_graphics_chips_in_debian_gnu_linux_5.0"
linktext was:"http://www.linlap.com/configuring_the_f ... _linux_5.0"

I think you can do most of it with the smxi script from the prompt.
The important thing to know is the video card type.
ATI Mobility Radeon x600 is probably it.
From the prompt , as root , try inxi -F
Write it down.
Try the smxi script and check back , lets see what you have so far.
Colin
does it matter if Antix isn't installed yet? and what would be causing it to work without an issue if i wasn't trying to dual boot?
Dave
I do not know what is wrong with the installer in your particular situation. All I can suggest for the moment (till a time which might provide a new installer) is to fall back on the cli-installer. (I think that you can run this in terminal as root, though I have always ran it out of X)

Open terminal
Type: su
Type: root (for live password)
Type: cli-installer

Follow the prompts.
I normally build the partition scheme with gparted / parted so I cannot guide you with the fdisk progam at the beginning of the installer. However if you run blkid before running the installer you should get a clear idea of what the partition dev node is (ex: sda1). You will need to specify it in the installer and you sure do not want to specify the xp partition by accident
cpufreak101
Dave wrote:I do not know what is wrong with the installer in your particular situation. All I can suggest for the moment (till a time which might provide a new installer) is to fall back on the cli-installer. (I think that you can run this in terminal as root, though I have always ran it out of X)

Open terminal
Type: su
Type: root (for live password)
Type: cli-installer

Follow the prompts.
I normally build the partition scheme with gparted / parted so I cannot guide you with the fdisk progam at the beginning of the installer. However if you run blkid before running the installer you should get a clear idea of what the partition dev node is (ex: sda1). You will need to specify it in the installer and you sure do not want to specify the xp partition by accident
how would i run it under X? is it easier? and for the cli-installer will gparted formatted partitions still work in it, because i only ever figured out fdisk for MS-DOS
Dave
That is for in X.
Gparted will work fine just need to know what the dev names are for the partitions when installing. Press no when the installer asks if you want to repartition the drive
cwilliams
When you do the install , did you select to install grub on the MBR of the boot drive?
If everything is OK without windows installed , maybe the windows bootloader is giving GRUB a hard time.
Grub works well with XP , usually grub automatically lets you decide which OS to use.
Windows must be installed first though , or it will kill the GRUB install.
The only other thing to check quick is to see if there is screen blanking enabled in the BIOS power saving settings.
That can bugger things a bit , let the OS do the power saving , not the BIOS.
Keep us updated , I'm curious now ....
Colin
cpufreak101
cwilliams wrote:When you do the install , did you select to install grub on the MBR of the boot drive?
If everything is OK without windows installed , maybe the windows bootloader is giving GRUB a hard time.
Grub works well with XP , usually grub automatically lets you decide which OS to use.
Windows must be installed first though , or it will kill the GRUB install.
The only other thing to check quick is to see if there is screen blanking enabled in the BIOS power saving settings.
That can bugger things a bit , let the OS do the power saving , not the BIOS.
Keep us updated , I'm curious now ....
Colin
yes, windows was installed first, and i managed to get it to install through the cli installer, i did have GRUB be installed to MBR however it dtill boots right into XP, doesn't go to GRUB at all
Dave
That is strange.
As root in terminal on live cd run this and it should get grub manually installed (please keep in mind I will be using sda as an example. If yours is different change it but keep them the same style... sda~=sdb, sda1~=sdb2...)

Mkdir /mnt/sda1
Mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 (Note : this is the root partition)
grub-install --boot-dir='/mnt/sda1/boot' /dev/sda
chroot /mnt/sda1
update-grub
exit
umount /dev/sda1
reboot
cpufreak101
Dave wrote:That is strange.
As root in terminal on live cd run this and it should get grub manually installed (please keep in mind I will be using sda as an example. If yours is different change it but keep them the same style... sda~=sdb, sda1~=sdb2...)

Mkdir /mnt/sda1
Mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 (Note : this is the root partition)
grub-install --boot-dir='/mnt/sda1/boot' /dev/sda
chroot /mnt/sda1
update-grub
exit
umount /dev/sda1
reboot
do i have to do the partition antix is installed in?
Dave
Yes and the booting disk
Sda is the booting disk, sda1 being the partition antix is installed on
cpufreak101
Dave wrote:Yes and the booting disk
Sda is the booting disk, sda1 being the partition antix is installed on
ah kk, it's on SDA2, so i'll try that and tell you how it turns out
cpufreak101
thank you all for your help, it worked!