topic title: Compile kernel
luker
Hi fellow Antixers,

it seems that I need to have ISA support in order for my Yamaha Opl3Sa2 sound chip to work. And it seems that ISA has been kicked out of the kernel.

Is there a step-by-step instruction on how to compile the exact same kernel that antix uses now, with just the bit"Include ISA" changed?
thriftee
Hmmmm, I have 2 otherwise capable machines with ISA sound cards, so it will be good to know if there is a reasonably reasonable way...
BitJam
Here are
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://kernelnewbies.org/KernelBuild"
linktext was:"Instructions for building a kernel"
====================================

One key thing is to clone the git repo for the kernel. Then checkout the version that matches the kernel you want to build. The config file for your current system should be at /boot/config* on your system.

The trickiest part might be applying patches. I think our kernel uses at least the
url was:"http://www.mepiscommunity.org/fbcondecor"
linktext was:"fbcondecor patch"
, which should be easy to apply, and the
url was:"http://forum.lemaker.org/thread-442-1-1-.html"
linktext was:"aufs patch"
which can be a little more tricky.

So:
  • Install the tools you will need (see first link)
  • Clone the linux git repo
  • Checkout the version you want with git
  • Download (and/or git checkout) the patches for your kernel version
  • Apply the patches
  • Copy in the config file to .config
  • Run"make oldconfig" just to be sure
  • Run"make menuconfig" to change the configuration
  • Build the kernel (see first link)
If you don't want to boot your kernel live then you don't need the aufs patch. You probably don't need the fbcondecor patch. But without these patches there might be some trouble with the config file. Running a new kernel on an existing system is probably a little easier than building an iso file or LiveUSB that uses the new kernel. More steps are involved.

If you are new to this sort of thing then it may take you a few days to put all of the pieces together. Think of it as a little hobby project like building a model plane or something. Read the instructions over several times. Work on it a few hours then set it aside and pick it up again the next day.
thriftee
Its not my thread, but thanks for the detailed reply, bitjam.

I was thinking of how would I go about doing something this major. It would seem rational to me that if I had all the correct pieces in place, that I should be able to regenerate the same kernel I have now if I use the same input pieces and current config file. Then, once that works, THEN I could change the config file, and redo the process from that point forward to a new kernel to try.

How does that sound?
coyotito
I simply compiled 3.19 following some basic Slackware instructions. Get some complaints about firmware etc but everything works.
this is an AMD 2kernel desktop X2 6000 or smth about 5 years old.

on a simple setup with old hardware this should be ok. copy old config and then enable what you need.