iamclueless
quick question

i now have exactly what i want setup with my antix base install

whats the easiest way to recreate this install if ever i want to do a reinstall or create the same installation on another computer.

i suppose i could just reinstall the base and run an apt-get install *list of packages... then copy /home and /etc from the old install.

is it possible to just copy all the packages i have onto a cd? do a a fresh install - copy all the packages back and dpkg them all?? then copy back /home and /etc?

am i missing something?

let me know
note to self - learn to remaster __{{emoticon}}__
rayburn
If you have the space, my favourite option is to make a copy of the entire partition using the dd command.

Another obvious alternative is to use partimage to create an image file of the install.

Very useful to have either one or the other on a different drive in case of hard disk failure.
Jerry
I agree, I would ghost the whole thing.
iamclueless
if i ghost the install.. it will end up on a DVD i imagine.

however, target machines i have in mind will only have CD drives. hence i was thinking the dpkg was one way to keep it small.

or is it possible to ghost an install over a few CDs?
eriefisher
If you use an image to install on different hardware you will have a load of config problems as well as having to reinstall grub.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
"i suppose i could just reinstall the base and run an apt-get install *list of packages... then copy /home and /etc from the old install."

This is a good way to do it, but it won't produce an exact copy of what you have as the Testing repo is constantly changing, but it will be close.

The problem with saving the debs is that they will be out-of-date quickly for reason stated above.

You could remaster from an antiX-base.iso and add your changes. (using a list of packages to install) Again it will not be an exact copy, but it will be a bootable livecd very similar to what you have installed.

There is a remaster script installed in versions of antiX starting with M7.2. Adrian has enhanced the script to include creating a livecd from an installed antiX on a partition. It is still in its experimental stages.
See the Mepis wiki, type remaster script.