terrybull
I am trying Antix 15 on a Panasonic cf27 toughbook. The screen resolution loads at 1024 X 768 which means it is too large and only shows part of the desktop. Can I change it to 800x 600 please.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Running live or installed?

If live type in vga=788 at boot menu

If installed - In antix control centre - Set Screen Resolution
dolphin_oracle
terrybull wrote:I am trying Antix 15 on a Panasonic cf27 toughbook. The screen resolution loads at 1024 X 768 which means it is too large and only shows part of the desktop. Can I change it to 800x 600 please.
the control center >session > set resolution app can change the resolution, but it won't stick on reboot. In the menus of the app is an option to generate a script with the new settings. generate the script then run it from your startup file, and the resolution will be set every login.
terrybull
I've been busy on other things and just getting back to this. I have installed and when I go to session set screen res I get asked for root password which I type in and get nothing. Just back to control centre again. Help please.
dolphin_oracle
dolphin_oracle
terrybull wrote:I've been busy on other things and just getting back to this. I have installed and when I go to session set screen res I get asked for root password which I type in and get nothing. Just back to control centre again. Help please.
I do believe its actually asking for your user password. Try that.
terrybull
You were correct (as usual). However the resolution has changed but it looks awful. Like a fog over the screen and quite dim. Going back to 1024 X 768 it remains dim. The brightness is full.
dolphin_oracle
terrybull wrote:You were correct (as usual). However the resolution has changed but it looks awful. Like a fog over the screen and quite dim. Going back to 1024 X 768 it remains dim. The brightness is full.
well, you can try a different color depth. i don't know much about those machines. Roky I think used to run toughbooks.
rokytnji
Mine is a CF-48 which I still have.

Code: Select all

xrandr
was my friend.

xrandr -s 800x600
for a test run. If happy. Use that line in your startup.

Edit: I had to change out my LCD cable from inverter to back of lcd screen. Panasonics are not as tough as they advertise.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://oi47.tinypic.com/nbybsj.jpg"
linktext was:"http://oi47.tinypic.com/nbybsj.jpg"
====================================

Slapping side of screen would sometimes clear the screen of cloudiness. Replacing screen cable fixed it for good.
I really like mx
Moved thread to MX-15 Fusion so it gets the attention it deserves.
Last edited by rokytnji on 29 Jan 2016, 12:08, edited 1 time in total.
terrybull
I'll try that. There is nothing wrong with the laptop screen, physically I mean. This is a software issue. I really like mx but this machine doesn't quite have the 'legs' to make it a practical option.
Jerry
I really like mx but this machine doesn't quite have the 'legs' to make it a practical option.
That's interesting. Can you please post the output of

inxi -F
terrybull
I've uninstalled antix at the moment as I couldn't get get the screen correct. I'll put a spare HDD in and do a inxi -F soon as I get chance. This toughbook only has a Pentium M 300mhz and 256 mb ram.
rokytnji
Pentium M 300mhz and 256 mb ram.
Sounds like MX is not for you. If I was in your shoes. I'd bump up the ram. On my CF-48. I bumped the ram to 1.2 gig.
My Pentium M cpu on it is a P4 also. Yours looks to be a P2.
I run AntiX 15 on it instead of MX-15 on it out of personal preference on my part.
Sounds like you need to rethink a few things.
Because your specs are woefully low.

url was:"http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-toughbook-cf-27-owners-thread.708213/"
linktext was:"http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads ... ad.708213/"

Since I do not know your location or financial situation. If I was in your shoes. I'd sell/craiglist the cf-27 after putting Windows XP on it. Then use the 20 bucks or whatever I got for it to upgrade to this instead.

url was:"http://www.ebay.com/itm/Itronix-General-Dynamics-GD6000-Core-2-Duo-2-53GHz-4GB-RAM-120-160GB-HDD-/231822576747?hash=item35f9b3cc6b:g:lCUAAOSwv-NWaY9t"
linktext was:"Link"

Because that will be cheaper than upgrading that CF-27. Hell. I might sell my CF-48 or IBM T23 and use what funds I get for those to do this myself (in another auction, of course).

They are good units. I speak from experience because
url was:"http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAVE-200-ON-RUGGED-ITRONIX-T5200-HANDHELD-PC-TOUCHSCREEEN-WIRELESS-SOFTWARE-/201490128508?hash=item2ee9bf5e7c:g:MPwAAOSweW5Vcgkm"
linktext was:"this was my 1st computer."

It was stolen out of my pickup truck way back when in 2008.
It recieved internet off of a ,
Since Itronix considers itself a leader and expert in wireless communications, it comes as no surprise that the T5200 was designed from the ground up as a wireless communication device. Shielding is always an issue when you integrate a wireless radio into a computing device, and Itronix took that into consideration. Depending on a customer's needs, there is a variety of wireless radio options using either ARDIS or the BellSouth Wireless Data network. Units equipped with a wireless radio also have a flip-up antenna in the left screen hinge.
I would not how ever buy a T5200 now. Though rugged and tough. They are woe fully like your CF-27 when it comes to internal specs. Just a museum piece now, or hobby gear. I loved how the battery would hold a charge for 2 days though.
Processor PR31700 RISC/73.7MHz
OS Windows CE 2.0 and higher
Memory 16-32MB RAM, 16MB Flash
Display 7.3" 640 x 240 mono backlit LCD
Digitizer Pressure-sensitive panel
Storage System RAM
Size 9.8 x 5.0 x 2.2 inches
Weight 3.0 lbs (base unit including battery pack)
Power Li-Ion 1,500mAh
terrybull
I can't up the ram as this is the max the bios will recognise. I do have other laptops but trying to get this running stuff is a challenge and sort of hobby in itself plus I learn. It really wont run xp even. I am typing this using Antix 8.5 which runs brilliantly on it.
terrybull
I note that this thread has been moved to the MX forum but I don't think it should have been as it is specifically an Antix 15 issue. I can and have used MX on this machine but it is just a little too resource hungry for its feeble specs. Antix 8.5 runs brilliantly on it but is well out of date. Anyway for the time being I am using antix 13.2 which is fine. I cannot get past the screen resolution issue with version 15 though but my Linux knowledge is really basic.