topic title: certain problems
coyotito
tried full version.
Machine: toshiba Satellite 800 mhz, 196 SDRam.

Slow, Abiword is unusable, freezes. Had to get rid of slim due to login problems, wdm did not work, xdm works.
I was unable to install a working cups driver for my old Oki Microline 280 dot matrix printer, the PPD is not in the foomatic
package any more (I installed all PPDs). It included an unusable driver, which i don't need ;)
The system easily runs out of cpu time or memory or both and i have to kill X. Havent seen that before though I do need to run
a strictly minimalist desktop in order to have one or two applications running acceptably (f.ex Opera and abiword). Speed is important to me.

Could some of these probs be due to my reusing an old home directory? (Etch) That SHOULD be okay, no?

I'm considering going back to Antix 6.5
This would be fast and stable on this machine (the sdram makes it rather sluggish, 196 mb is not much either)
I know the kernel and ndiswrapper that goes with the 2.6.15 kernel works with my Aircruiser G USB wificard.

I guess wifi worked okay on this version-?

And it had such a nice theme :))

But i will go back to M8 base first, I noticed no probs there but wanted to check out features of full version. Nice, but really not necessary for me.

good things: kernel now accepts my IDE disks, this has until now kept me from using antix much (annoying error mesages) as I had to use older kernels.
And more locales :)) but it does not work as well as in Debian.
mariel77
You could try to add a new user and see if you have the same problems. (If you do still have problems, I would suggest burning the cd at a slow rate (4X) and then reinstalling.)
coyotito
Installed M8 base again, now everything i want works and system is rock stable.
i don't think the cd was faulty, I could have ironed out the probs but it's easier
to reinstall and base is right for this machine.