malanrich
Using cdw for burning cd's in antiX-base M8.2 gives an error message because cdrecord (a component of cdw) is missing. Apt-getting cdrecord restores functionality.

BTW: cdrecord is not missing in regular antiX M8.2, only in base. (Not sure if that was intentional or an oversight.)
eriefisher
I find this unusual since if it's a dependency then the parent program should have not installed without errors??
malanrich
eriefisher wrote:I find this unusual since if it's a dependency then the parent program should have not installed without errors??
Yeah, I thought the same thing. But since I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, I did some googling to find out what cdw actually needed. It *looks* as though cdrecord may not be a dependency per se but one of several other apps for doing the actual burning of the cd. I may have this confused. But the burn failed repeatedly and the error message was consistently something like"cdrecord not present." It's not listed in Base's installed apps but is listed for the regular M8.2 version. It's a small download. Probably just an oversight. But at first I thought it might have been left out in case users preferred some other app with the same functionality. Since I'd never used a console burner, it took me a while to figure out what was blocking the burn.

Edit: I see in the list of M8.2 installed packages that cdrecord is a"dummy transition package for wodim." Short version: without it, you can't burn in antiX base. With it, no problem.
eriefisher
malanrich wrote: Edit: I see in the list of M8.2 installed packages that cdrecord is a"dummy transition package for wodim." Short version: without it, you can't burn in antiX base. With it, no problem.
This was actually my next question..Is wodim installed?...
malanrich
Yes, wodim is in antiX-base. I've never looked into what a dummy transition package does. I assume it's a bridge from one component of an app to another. So maybe without cdrecord, cdw can't use wodim? Anyway, the upshot is to get cdrecord into the next release of antiX-base.
eriefisher
I guess your just using the command line to burn, if so just call wodim.

Code: Select all

wodim [options] filename
malanrich
Gotcha. Now I'm getting clearer on how these parts fit together. The man page for wodim explains what's going on. And when I call up the man page for cdrecord, it takes me right to the wodim man. The thing is, I like using cdw, my first time using a console-based burner. It's a very helpful tool for getting new users over the hump from gui's like gnomebaker or brasero to console. But going completely command-line will scare off new users. So far, cdw is a great compromise.