santotomas
I just installed the stable version of AntiX 13.2 on this formerly Win XP machine. I'm in love with this distro but I have just a fews small issues one being that I cannot open hear my music cd's. When I examine the drive in SpaceFM and side click on the device it gives me the following message box:

"missing codepage or helper program, or other error. In some cases useful info is found in syslog- try dmesg/ tail or so."

Anybody have a tip to correct this?

Thank you all for your help in advance!!!
jdmeaux1952
When you need help, answers are never too far away. First things first! You need to open a terminal screen, make it WIDE, and type in"inxi -F" (without the quotes). This will give us info on your machine (sound card/chip and driver, amount of memory, etc). Do a Copy-and-Paste, and post it here so all can see. Then we can start to work on it.

Have you done a search here on the forum for your sound card?
fatmac
Music CDs don't have a regular filesystem that can be viewed.

If you are not getting 'sound', try running alsamixer in a terminal & make sure it isn't muted.
dolphin_oracle
trying opening the disk in either gnome-mplayer (which has an option disc menu option) or in xmms (which uses a"Play Directory" option). the device would be either /dev/cdrom or/dev/sr0 (or sr1, etc...)

you can set an auto-run feature in spacefm by setting the"On Audio CD" option to either"xmms %v or"gnome-mplayer %v". The feature is a little weird though because you still get the mount error, but then the app should launch.
santotomas
jdmeaux1952 wrote:When you need help, answers are never too far away. First things first! You need to open a terminal screen, make it WIDE, and type in"inxi -F" (without the quotes). This will give us info on your machine (sound card/chip and driver, amount of memory, etc). Do a Copy-and-Paste, and post it here so all can see. Then we can start to work on it.

Have you done a search here on the forum for your sound card?
I did an ini-F and here it is:

Code: Select all

System:    Host: usual362 Kernel: 3.7.10-antix.5-486-smp i686 (32 bit) 
           Desktop: IceWM 1.3.7 Distro: antiX-13.2_386-full Luddite 4 November 2013
Machine:   Mobo: MICRO-STAR model: MS-7211 version: 4.1 Bios: Phoenix version: 6.00 PG date: 06/09/1906
CPU:       Single core Intel Celeron CPU (-UP-) cache: 256 KB flags: (lm pae sse sse2 sse3) clocked at 2661.407 MHz 
Graphics:  Card: VIA CN700/P4M800 Pro/P4M800 CE/VN800 Graphics [S3 UniChrome Pro] 
           X.org: 1.12.4 drivers: openchrome (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) tty size: 80x28 Advanced Data: N/A for root 
Audio:     Card: VIA VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller driver: snd_via82xx Sound: ALSA ver: k3.7.10-antix.5-486-smp
Network:   Card: VIA VT6102 [Rhine-II] driver: via-rhine 
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: 00:16:17:76:f8:12
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 82.3GB (3.7% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: ExcelStor_Techno size: 82.3GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 74G used: 2.9G (5%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 2.17GB used: 0.10GB (5%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 70.0C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 86 Uptime: 3:53 Memory: 232.2/436.2MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 1.9.16 
Hope you can get me out of this one as I cannot access Synaptic either it tells me there was an error in installing Dropbox (dpkg).
dolphin_oracle
Hope you can get me out of this one as I cannot access Synaptic either it tells me there was an error in installing Dropbox (dpkg).
the nautilus-dropbox package from the repos is currently broken upstream. The debian downloads directly from dropbox.com are OK.

here's how to unlock synaptic/apt.

1. from the terminal, go root

su
2. kill any dpkg and dropbox processes that might be running

pkill dropbox
pkill dpkg
3. reconfigure dpkg. When the dropbox download starts, press CNTRL - C before the counter gets to 100%. This part is important.

dpkg --configure -a
when the dropbox download starts, press CNTRL - C before the counter gets to 100%. This part is important.

4. Now that you are back at the prompt, use apt to remove nautilus-dropbox

apt-get purge nautilus-dropbox -f
5. you can download a working install package directly from dropbox.com and install with gdebi.
santotomas
dolphin_oracle,

Thank you much! I got Synaptic unlocked finally with your instructions!

Back to my music cd problem. I tried opening it with all the apps available on this distro. I also installed sound juicer, which I tried and liked from before I installed this stable version of AntiX on my PC. It played my cd's fine- great audio quality on sound juicer. But now I cannot get it to play on any of the players. I believe my sound cards are just fine as I didn't have any problems before.

Any hints? Thanks again.
santotomas
dolphin_oracle wrote:trying opening the disk in either gnome-mplayer (which has an option disc menu option) or in xmms (which uses a"Play Directory" option). the device would be either /dev/cdrom or/dev/sr0 (or sr1, etc...)

you can set an auto-run feature in spacefm by setting the"On Audio CD" option to either"xmms %v or"gnome-mplayer %v". The feature is a little weird though because you still get the mount error, but then the app should launch.
YES! YES! YES! I persisted until I got my favorite Sarah Vaughn CD to open in gnome mplayer. Beautiful sound. This points up another problem I've been having since this PC was a Win XP machine. But,...right now I'm enjoying"Black Coffee" too much. Groovin. I'll resume the thread later.

Thank youoooooo.....! __{{emoticon}}__ __{{emoticon}}__
jdmeaux1952
Because your machine was an XP machine now means you have improved it by installing antiX=13.2. __{{emoticon}}__
fatmac
That's known as upgrading....... __{{emoticon}}__
santotomas
jdmeaux1952 wrote:Because your machine was an XP machine now means you have improved it by installing antiX=13.2. __{{emoticon}}__
You are so right! This machine never worked as well as when it was Win XP. Even my Skype transmission is much better.