larrys
The install went perfectly. I was asked to set a machine name, username and password, and a root password. When I rebooted after install it asks for username and password and every time I enter the password its like it doesn't recognize it and asks for username and password again. I set the same password for root and the default user. The GRUB menu at startup offer four possibilities, three versions of antiX (or so it seems), and a memory test. All three versions have the same problem.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Maybe the problem is having the same password for user and root.

Boot the init 3 option, login as root and give your root password., then type (without brackets)

passwd (username)

And it'll prompt you to enter a new password.
secipolla
anti, just asking, did you ever see any problems in having the user password the same as the root one? It just doesn't make sense (one has nothing to do with the other), besides the user getting confused with it. I always use like that and even Open SUSE's installer defaults to that.
I'm inclined to believe that larry made some mistake with the passwords or it's a keyboard issue (Caps Lock on or different locale) but of course changing the password as you said solves it anyway (just again, I'm inclined to think that he could set the same password as the root account and it would work fine).
anticapitalista
Site Admin
I think someone else posted something similar. Still there should really be any problem with having root ans user password the same, though I don't think it is a good idea myself.
mikeg
I've installed twice now and have a problem where I can not login as root using the password I entered during the install. I tried the boot init 3 suggestion above to change the password but when doing su to begin it does not accept the password there either. I know it's not a caps lock problem because the 'normal' user account I created works OK.

Any help?
anticapitalista
Site Admin
You could try setting up a new root account if you can login as user and su to root, by

su to root
Type"passwd" (without quotes)

It will then prompt you to type your new password, and then to confirm it.

Did you install to a saved /home partition?
mikeg
anti -

I did install with a separate /home partition.

OK. I logged in with the normal user account. I started a terminal session. Typed su and for giggles typed what should be the root password. It was accepted! I then exited the terminal session. I then started GParted, Synaptic and MEPIS User Assistant apps. Each requested the root password and it was accepted.

I then logged-out of the session to switch users. I enter username: root and the root password. Logon not accepted. I repeat all the above again. Same results.

Very unusual.
mikeg
secipolla
mikeg, slim won't accept the root user.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Ok, I get you.

By default you cannot login to X as root. If you want to do so, it is very easy. Just copy the .xinitrc from your home user directory to the root directory.
mikeg
secipolla and anticapitalista -

Well that is a nice security feature (correct?). I guess now I will stop trying.

I really like antiX so far.

Thanks,
mikeg