crassone
Hi all

Just installed the latest release on my old dell laptop. Install went fine, and ran well in live mode. However once installed user cannot login - root can though. I'm getting 'failed to execute login command'.

When installing I preserved the home directory - not formatted. The installer allowed for this to happen. Could this be the problem?
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Yes, that is the problem.
To solve, as user, copy the .xinitrc file for /etc/skel to your home/username directory.
(Note the '.' makes it hidden)
anticapitalista
Site Admin
What was in the saved /home? From which distro and what did it use for 'desktop'? I ask as you may need to copy over more folders/files from /etc/skel.
crassone
Hi again,

I did not try the graphical login for root earlier this afternoon. I did ctrl+alt+f2 and loged in as root like that. Have just tried the graphical login for root and the same thing is happening. The root partition was completely reformated by antix installer - so it claimed!!

I was running debian-lenny prior to antix.

OK problem partly gone by copying over .xinitrc. Not as pretty as the live cd. Missing wallpaper and conky. Could be missing some more from /etc/skel.

Could you advise.

Also how to use the graphical login to logout. There appears to be no way to shutdown unless forcibly shutting down.

Cheers
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Copy over all the files in /etc/skel to your user directory. (except maybe Wallpaper and Documents folder, instead copy over the contents if those folders already exist in your home user directory).

Make sure that the permissions are kept, ie username not root.

Once you have done the above you should be able to shutdown via menu. (Maybe need to logout, login first though or reboot)
secipolla
Just for you to know, crassone, antiX doesn't log in as root in the graphical environment.
Also if you need to shut down or reboot and you don't have an entry for that in the menu or toolbar, you can just launch the commands 'sudo halt' or 'sudo reboot'.

What anti said should put your home folder in order.
crassone
Hi all,

Thanks for the info. I didnt realise that sudo halt/reboot was available.

I copied all from /etc/skel and seems ok.

SORTED!! __{{emoticon}}__