lagopus
Hello, I need some help!

When I boot 8.2 from my USB stick (fromiso mode), screen gets back when I expect the X session to start.
This happens on my eeepc 701 and on my professional lenovo laptop.
On the same stick, 8.0.iso and 8.2-base.iso work fine.

On the eepc the keyboard is messed up:
qwertyuiop give me qwerty456*
asdfghjkl become asdfgh123
The lenovo has not the keyboard issue.

I changed the boot options to"lean nogui single"
After entering Ctrl-D, I get to the console login
Then, login has root, on the lenovo, I can start the X session entering the command:
#slim
It solves the problem (not on the eeepc, I cannot enter the"root" string !)

I booted 8.2-base without these problems on the eeepc, and the installation (mepis installer) on a 8 GB SDHC was strightforward.
I would like to install 8.2 full (I do prefer icewm)

Have you any hint?
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Hi lagopus.

For the boot on usb, try the vesa option. (or maybe there is a bad iso. Check the md5sum)

I got the same keyboard problem on a laptop, but it fixed itself once I did what you did.Sorry I can't be of more help.
rokytnji
I had a few issues booting AntiX 8.2 full on my Asus EEE 900 as a live Usb before I finally got it installed on my External SD card. Issues like the mouse freezing .

I found that I had to reformat USB and reinstall live Iso with Unetbootin a couple times. I would test it till I finally got a working Live session going on another laptop. Then I would insert the USB live AntiX into the Asus and it would act up again. I then knew the problem wasn't with AntiX or my USB Drive. It had something to do with which USB port I would plug the drive into on the Asus. I kept rebooting with the SD card pulled and trying the USB in different USB Slots on the Asus. Finally I got a working live interface(I did nothing special) . I left the USB in the slot that worked best and Inserted SD card while running live. I unmounted it in Gparted. Formatted it as Ext2. Then ran the installer. Worked out for me.

I don't know why Asus USB slots had a fit. But they did. I just had to experiment till I got everything working like it should. I did nothig special. Just what I stated above. I have the stock bios that came with my 900. I never upgraded it. To afeared to do so as it recognizes
my 2 gig ram stick. And if it aint broke, I won't tinker with it.

I don't know if this helps you much. But this was part of my experience going through my install on My Asus 900 annd AntiX 8.2 full on External SDHC Dana Electric 8 gig Flash Card.

Oh yeah. I used a Kingston 2 gig Data Traveler for my Live USB Drive.
eriefisher
On the eepc the keyboard is messed up:
qwertyuiop give me qwerty456*
asdfghjkl become asdfgh123
The lenovo has not the keyboard issue.
Is there a numlock key? Do the number share keys with the letters. I have used an asus that you had to use the Fn key and numlock to turn off the number pad. My Compaq is the same way as well.
lagopus
Thanks to all of you for the quick replies!
I have to find the time to experiment further.

rokytnji,
Your tutorial on blogspot:
Install AntiX 8.2 Final on External Flash Drive
is great!
rokytnji
Thanks lagopus. __{{emoticon}}__
rokytnji,
Your tutorial on blogspot:
Install AntiX 8.2 Final on External Flash Drive
is great!
I know that my tutorial lacks instructions for a 701 install and because of that different issues arise. Things like screen resolution is different on a 701 vs a 900 or 1000 . I don't have a 701 to test out a install with or otherwise I would do another just for the 701. I hope some one who has a 701 will add a install tutorial in the wiki to go with mine and maybe a 901 and 1000 also. These Netbooks Models come with all different hardware configurations so what works for one may not work for another,
lagopus
lagopus
Hello rokytnji
About your tutorial:
I think the 701 and the 900 have the same hardware apart from the screen.
Your tutorial is fine. Just a point: I removed the USB key after the installation on the SDHC card, before rebooting. I had to edit the first line (hd1,0) to (hd0,0), and also the second line, changing /dev/sdc1 to /dev/sdb1

About 8.2:
My problems with 8.2 are related to the X session startup: trying to boot from live USB several times on the laptop (maybe 6 times or more), I got into a full graphical session once (not really successful, slim started, but with touchpad and mouse frozen, nothing to do but power off the device!), and once I got the small 'x' in the center of a black screen, but without the traditional X grey background.
The other tries failed: could not go back to a terminal to look at some log (Ctrl-Alt-F1, F2... Ctrl-Alt-Backspace not working). And the capslock light was blinking...

I am posting now from a live 8.2 session, on the live USB, but I started in single mode, and launched slim from the command line.
The investigation remains open.

Yves
(I apologize for my rough english, and time to go to bed - UTC+2)
rokytnji
I am smiling like crazy right now. I figured I would google because I remember reading some where about installing AntiX 7.5 on a EEEPC 701 to see If I could find you some useful info. I am still cracking up after I see that you wrote the how to lagopus. So I see you are not new to this. I am more of a virgin than you are.

I was wondering if instead of editing /boot/grub/menu.lst first. Because this was how I figured out how to edit /boot/grug/menu list. Is when you get the grub screen. To edit vga from there first till you get a successful boot up with slim login and Desktop.

I've heard changing vga=normal gets you to slim login. Might be worth a shot maybe.

Borrowed these numbers from
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_BIOS_Extensions"
linktext was:"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_BIOS_Extensions"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

For 800x600
vga= 770,771,787,788,789,814
lagopus
Thanks rokytnji

I tried vga=normal mode; I do not believe the problem is with the display mode.

Finaly I got it working, thanks to Eriefisher !
Is there a numlock key? Do the number share keys with the letters. I have used an asus that you had to use the Fn key and numlock to turn off the number pad. My Compaq is the same way as well.
Booting in single mode, after hitting Ctrl-D, I logged in as root at the shell prompt, then after hitting Fn+F11(Num Lk), I was able to enter the command slim.

Now let's go with the insallation to the SDHC card!