santotomas
I am one of those people who still uses floppies (the 1.44 MB kind). I have a lot of data saved up on them from years of technical research and I was so glad that this Antix distro has enabled me to use my floppy drive flawlessly. Of course, I had to learn how to mount and unmount but other than that I've been using my floppies on this Linux machine for the past 6 months, no problem. UNTIL today! I get this error message when I try to mount any floppy:

Run: Mount/dev/fd0

Progress bar here-----

udevil: error 63: no media in device /dev/fd0 (or specify type with -t)

I don't get that message when I'm using other media types like a CD or my USB's.

My Antix version is Antix 13.2 stable. And I use the SpaceFM file manager, BTW.

Please help as I have a lot of data that I need to access. I just hope this is just a temporary thing and that it is fixable.
fatmac
Try from the command line;
sudo mount /dev/fd0 -t vfat /mnt
or
sudo mount /dev/fd0 -t msdos /mnt
then see what is on them with;
ls /mnt

If that works OK, it is just something to do with the SpaceFM configs.
santotomas
FatMac

Thank you for this general solution. Although not ideal since I can no longer mount or unmount from SpaceFM, it is OK for now. I do get to see and work with documents I already have on my floppies. From Paul Sheer's tutorial I also learned the unmount command to close my floppies safely: umount /dev/fd0. My question now is for the NEW documents I might want to add to the floppies. When I go to Save As, I cannot find the fd0 (floppy drive) to save it. So, I wind up saving to desktop. Any way to save new files to my floppies? Also, is there any way of removing the error 63 that it keeps alerting me to? It would be so cool to get the full use of SpaceFM with regards to my floppies back.

Again, thank you for your prompt help.
fatmac
OK, that was to see/let you know your data is still there. __{{emoticon}}__
This posting has the answer for you, I think, viewtopic.php?f=49&t=5231&hilit=spacefm%20mount%20problem
Who or what is mounting my USB's? SpaceFM of course. But - bless spacefm! - that filemanager makes the mount process configurable! Under the menu /Devices/Settings/Mount Command I saw I was able to choose between no less than 4 different mount commands.
santotomas
FatMac:

Thanks again for getting back to me and helping out with this little problem.

I read the thread through and focused on the quote you posted above. So, in a nutshell, my route is to:
Found the culprit!

Who or what is mounting my USB's? SpaceFM of course. But - bless spacefm! - that filemanager makes the mount process configurable! Under the menu /Devices/Settings/Mount Command I saw I was able to choose between no less than 4 different mount commands.

Default setting is
Code:
/usr/bin/pmount %v

but changing that to
Code:
/usr/bin/udevil mount -o %o %v

did the trick.

My USB's still automount, but when I look at the mtab file sdb1 is mounted with the option
Code:
errors=continue

in stead of
Code:
errors=remount-ro.
When I go into my SpaceFM's Mount Command options, this is the list it gives me:

Enter the command to mount a device:

Use:
%v device file ( eg /dev/sda5 )
%o volume-specific mount options

udevil: /usr/bin/udevil mount -o %o %v
pmount: /usr/bin/pmount %v
Udisks2: /usr/bin/udisksctl mount -b %v -o %o
Udisks1: /usr/bin/udisks --mount %v --mount-options %o

Leave blank for auto-detection.

Since the thread was dealing with someone's specific problem with a USB, exactly which one do I change/correct to enable my floppy drive (fd0)? And where do I make these changes?

BTW, thanks a heap!!!!! __{{emoticon}}__
fatmac
Not certain but /usr/bin/udevil mount -o %o %v looks like the one to use.
Under the menu /Devices/Settings/Mount Command I saw I was able to choose between no less than 4 different mount commands.

Default setting is
Code:
/usr/bin/pmount %v

but changing that to
Code:
/usr/bin/udevil mount -o %o %v

did the trick.
santotomas
FatMac,

In Devices menu, Devices/Settings/Mount Command I copied and pasted the suggested command (/usr/bin/udevil mount -o %o %v) to the small area below where it says"Leave blank for auto detection." Clicked OK and clicked out of that options box. I then gave it a test by trying to mount one of my floppies (diskettes) but it gave me the same error 63 message and wouldn't mount. I rebooted nd tried again and still no results. I think I'm not understand where to make the change. Is this something I have to do through command line?
fatmac
Open 'Devices>Settings>Mount Command', enter '/usr/bin/udevil mount -o %o %v', then click on the 'OK' button, that should do it.

Edit: Just do the same with one of the other options if that one doesn't work.
Also check 'Auto Mount' to ensure 'removable' & 'unmount on exit' are checked/ticked.
santotomas
I'm not getting any results with the suggested fixes. I believe my Spacefm configs got corrupted or something. I'm on the verge of doing a fresh install of Antix 13.2 stable to get back my full functionality in so far as my floppies are concerned. I need it for a project I've put on hold. Is there anyway I can update just SpaceFM and perhaps get rid of the error 63 it keeps giving me when I try to mounty my floppies? __{{emoticon}}__
fatmac
You could try running, in a terminal,

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge spacefm
followed by

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install spacefm
spaceman
santotomas I feel duty bound to say something. 3M a major global manufacturer of floppy disks used to offer a guarantee on their product. They guaranteed floppies for 5 writes and 15 reads. After that the diskette was not guaranteed to work. If you really have important and valuable data on floppy disk for your own sanity please back it up to something more reliable (like a USB stick, cloud storage or even hard disk drive).

As you probably know it's not backed up if it isn't backed up in three places...and even then it's vulnerable. __{{emoticon}}__

Good luck and have fun.