adstaryoung
Hi, I have recently installed Antix, but I'm not able to access the Control Centre. I enter the password to access but it doesn't proceed any further. What can I do? And yes I'm using the correct password i entered during the install.
I entered the same password during the install for both the user & root. Could that be the problem?
Thank you in advance for your help

Other than this problem Antix is sweet on my 233mhz laptop!
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Hi.

Firstly, it is not a good idea to have the user password the same as the root/admin password and though I am not 100% certain, that could be the problem.

Secondly, to access the control centre, you don't need to supply a password, though to open some programs/apps you do.

Thirdly, which version of antiX have you installed? If you have a recent version, typing, in a terminal
inxi -F
will give us information that can help quicker.

Fourthly, nice to read that antiX is working ok (ish) on such an old laptop __{{emoticon}}__
adstaryoung
Hi, Thanks for the quick reply. The Control Centre does work...those apps that do not require a password to access. The problem occurs when I'm prompted with a password to access different apps.
Info below...antix-M8.2 I think!
May need to re-install with different root & user password? What do you think?

System: Host Vincent and Mary Kernel 2.6.27-1-mepis-smp i686 (32 bit) Distro antiX-M8.2 Tȟašúŋke Witkó - Crazy Horse 24 July 2009
CPU: Single core Pentium II (Deschutes) (UP) cache 512 KB flags (-) bmips 245 clocked at 0.00 MHz
Graphics: Card Neomagic NM2200 [MagicGraph 256AV] X.Org 1.4.2 Res: 1024x768@70.0hz
GLX Renderer Mesa GLX Indirect GLX Version 1.4 (2.1 Mesa 7.0.4) Direct Rendering No
Audio: Card Failed to Detect Sound Card!
Network: Card Realtek RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ driver 8139too v: 0.9.28 at port 1000
Disks: HDD Total Size: 6.5GB (23.8% used) 1: /dev/hda IBM-DADA-26480 6.5GB
Partition: ID:/ size: 5.5G used: 1.5G (28%) ID:swap-1 size: 0.53GB used: 0.00GB (0%)
Info: Processes 71 Uptime 1:53 Memory 105.5/248.8MB Client Shell inxi 1.0.17
secipolla
You can use alright the same password for user and root (i always did so since the apps that use 'sudo' ask for the user password - like pcmanfm - and then I prefer to have just one password).
I suspect it's a different issue of yours.

edit- yes, try like Pedro suggested below. Since the machine is a bit slow the issue may be related to something graphic having difficulties to open.
Last edited by secipolla on 23 Jan 2010, 15:00, edited 1 time in total.
plvera
I also use the same password for user and root and haven't had a problem. So, I agree with secipolla that something else is likely the problem. Have tried calling up any one of the things you are trying to get at from control center using a terminal to see if it works or what errors you get? For example, in terminal. type su, then your password, and then type synaptic. That should bring up synaptic.
adstaryoung
Yes thanks, used a terminal and worked. Thanks for your help.
Dave
If you open the run option in the desktop menu, run"gksu" or"sudo" and then type the program, does it work for you? I have the same problem and from what I can figure there is a problem within gksu and sudo that doesn't tell the program to run.
adstaryoung
Hi Dave, I'll try later today on my laptop and see. speak with you soon. It would be good to use the control panel as it was intended if you have ideas on how to fix.
eriefisher
Antix does not use sudo normally. For graphical apps use gksu and su in the terminal. You can set up sudo if that's what you prefer but I always found it a PITA.

If calling the app from a terminal or run command work fine then there might be an issue with the control center script itself. It may have been corrupted some how???
plvera
I'm having the same problem with CC with 8.5 RC1 in an old laptop. I guess reinstall is the best option for fixing this?
thanks.
adstaryoung
All good now, completed fresh install and all fixed up. Only took 20min or so. Can get into control centre with no problems. Thanks.