Notorik

16 Apr 2009, 14:55 #1

I have a Dell PowerEdge 2300/750 server. It has a Pentium III Coppermine processor. Sound card is opti93x, OptiAudio16. It has six drives. When I attempt to boot the live cd I get the following:"BAR4: can't allocate resource. no available native port. Can't find MEPIS filesystem, sorry. Any ideas? Love this distro and would like it to work on my machine.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Not seen that error message before.

You might have better luck booting from usb stick (if your bios allows it) and fromiso ie the hard-disk if you have a spare partition and grub already installed.
Notorik
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately this is a really old"retired" server and as such it does not have any USB ports.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Do you have a spare partition on hard-drive?
What is on the box at the moment?
Notorik
Currently running Wolvix. I don't have a spare partition at the moment but I do have a habit of messing around with different window managers and such resulting in frequent reinstalls. When this happens I usually try installing a few distros before I go back to Wolvix. I am unable to boot Mepis 8.0 from the live cd as well.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Ok what you could do is create a small partition in Wolvix (500MB is enough) and put the iso on that partition in a folder as well as the extracted vmlinuz and initrd.img file (mc does this)
You would then need to edit the Wolvix grub menu to boot from the iso on the hard-drive partition.

It would be like running a livecd, but much faster and, hopefully it will boot without the errors. You could test it out and if you like it, install over Wolvix.

Added: You could try booting the livecd using the various cheatcodes. In antiX, try the second option"Extra Options" and the"antiX-Failsafe" option.
Notorik
Wow, I know I have been a long time responding but thanks for those tips! I am currently running Ubuntu Karmic on that machine with Grub 2. I am actually going to stick with that for now but I have another machine that is running AntiX and I am really liking it a lot. I do have one problem I will post in another area of the forum. Thanks again.