Eino

18 Jun 2013, 16:12 #1

The first thing I did was disable the on-board sound, and added a sound card with a good synthesizer, for midi music.

Items that I added to antiX

VLC an easy to use video player It works well within a home network, with an easy to change Aspect ratio to fit the output screen.

XBMC Great multimedia center for parties. Give the guests the selection of music without the OS environment.

Jack sound server. Need interface for Musical Instruments plugged into the computer, and for the use of midi devices.

FluidSynth Used as daemon adding MIDI support to ALSA.

Swami Great musical instrument editor.

Muse This is also good for editing MIDI's

SoundConverter For converting sound files to MP3

If anyone can see anything I may be missing let me know.
I'm more into sound, and video. Than anything else.
I may start a respin using antiX 13 64 bit base soon. .
Dave
Maybe you would like audacity and openshot for editing media?
I am not to much into movie/music making, but for what I have done those were the two I used.
Eino
Thanks Dave, I just installed Openshot. I'm going to give audacity a look now.
Alanarchy
Posts 0
Alanarchy
Rubyripper and Sox, the Swiss Army Knife for sound files __{{emoticon}}__ Rubyripper is the only ripper I know of that corrects the CDRom offset.
rokytnji

And in case I forgot something in the other 2 compressed files

These I use on the Motorcycle Shop Media Center as radio stations.
Eino
Thank's rokytnji. for the stream channels.
Alanarchy. Thank's I have already Sox I just need to find the repository for Rubyripper.
Alanarchy
Posts 0
Alanarchy
just need to find the repository for Rubyripper.
It's in Deb-multimedia testing.

I figured you'd already have Sox, but I figured I'd mention it anyway __{{emoticon}}__

You do know Antix comes with mp3blaster? All you need to run it is to copy .mp3blasterrc from docs to your home folder, edit it how you like it, and you've got a great player that can even be run outside X.
Eino
I just added Rubyripper.
I also added libasound2-plugin-equal, with alsamixergui.
I ended up with 55 controls for my sound card, and some of them don't make much sense..I guess it's still work in progress. The good thing is the plugin made the equalizer in goggles more responsive.

I have known about mp3blaster, and i have used it. Most of my music is saved as flac using lossless compression level 1. Makes large music files but it seems to be the best quality.
Alanarchy
Posts 0
Alanarchy
I also have clip-grab on my multimedia machine. Also a Liquorix kernel.
Eino
So far antiX 13 is performing well with all I have installed.
The only issue I was having is when I'm done with a midi session. The effects used like reverb, and echo carryover.to all the sound output Until I reboot, I have tried to go back and cancel the effects. But that just don't work.
If i cancel any effects used during the original midi session , It seems not to be an issue.
Eino
I just tried to upgrade from 13 beta3 to 13.1 and it failed.
The upgrade seems to have a conflect with, jackd sound server. Rather than tring to reconfigure it I desided to do a clean install, and start over.
I had to much garbage with the previous install going on anyway.
Eino
This time I'm going through my notes and including the stuff that worked.

Setting up the sound card, I have found that with Sound Blaster Live, Audigy and
Audigy 2. That “emu10k1-0” patch loader was needed. To get rid of some cracking noise during bass response.

Setting up XBMC worked as planed including adding it to slim, so it's in the f1 choices for desktops.

VLC installed correctly, without issues.

Next I will be adding Rubyripper, and timidity with sound fonts needed for MIDI playback.
This time I'm going to setup all the playback items, before adding musical instruments to the system.
rokytnji
Look into to running Miro also since you run XMBC. Hulu Desktop is another choice (for USA only). Though Hulu is a external install. I have even installed Hulu Desktop in MacPUP puppy linux.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.hulu.com/support/forum/162296"
linktext was:"http://www.hulu.com/support/forum/162296"
====================================

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/miro"
linktext was:"http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/miro"
====================================
Eino
rokytnji wrote:Look into to running Miro also since you run XMBC. Hulu Desktop is another choice (for USA only). Though Hulu is a external install. I have even installed Hulu Desktop in MacPUP puppy linux.
Miro looks good, Hulu is too commercial. Even with the Hulu plus account you get too many advertisements for my taste.

I just installed Rubyripper, Timidity, and Freepats, without an issue.
The only thing is freepats are missing instruments for some midi music playback.

Code: Select all

Eino@antiX1:~/midi
$ timidity leann_rimes-how_do_i_live.mid
Playing leann_rimes-how_do_i_live.mid
MIDI file: leann_rimes-how_do_i_live.mid
Format: 1  Tracks: 20  Divisions: 120
Track name: ACC PNO
Track name: FING BASS
Track name: ACC GTR NY
Track name: ACC GTR ST
Track name: STRINGS
Track name: STRINGS
Track name: FX7
Track name: DIST GTR
Track name: DIST GTR
Track name: SNARE
Track name: HATS
Track name: CONGAS
Track name: KICK
Track name: TOMS
Track name: TAMB
Track name: CRASHES
Track name: SIDE KICK
Track name: AHHHS
Track name: RPDOC@AOL.COM
No instrument mapped to tone bank 0, program 52 - this instrument will not be heard
(V1)(CH1)(V2)(CH2)(BR)(ch3)(END VAMP)Last 29 MIDI events are ignored
Playing time: ~262 seconds
Notes cut: 0
Notes lost totally: 0
Eino
The first thing I did was disable the on-board sound, and added a sound card with a good synthesizer, for midi music. I added a"Creative Labs SB 2" which the synthesizer has the capabilities of making very low tones, and very high tones.
The low tones, at the right volume will shake stuff off the tables in the house, and the high tones, will drive the dogs crazy in the neighborhood. Thus giving the capabilities of making an unlimited amount of sounds, and instruments.

The on-board sound synthesizer had mostly the mid-range sounds, giving limitations on the sounds, and instruments.

Earlier this week I was looking for a different sound card, not knowing the capabilities of the one I have. I'm glad I did some experimenting, and found it's full capabilities.
I just need keep adding to my MIDI SoundFont bank.