Ninho
Bumping/changing subject title !

I can't for the salvation of me figure out how to browse my NTFS file systems in the filer ! I assume this antiX-16 has NTFS 3g (read only) support, yet we get an error pop-up (can't mount) everytime we try to view the contents of an NTFS partition under /media.

Solution, please ? I guess this is to do with setting necessary permissions and/or user/group rights ? I don't want to login to the desktop as root, do I ?
thriftee
To see if security is the problem, try running rox-filer from a root terminal.

I like spacefm better, but you need to tell it to show the devices..
Ninho
thriftee wrote:To see if security is the problem, try running rox-filer from a root terminal..

Great trick, much obliged ! The 'rooted' filer was able to auto-mount NTFS partitions on access, and let me opt to leave them mounted when I quit. Afterwards, I am able to browse said NTFS parts even in the regular, non-root, filer !
(edited, to add:) ...AND it is read/write, not read-only as I thought NTFS was restricted in antiX! WOW, GOOD __{{emoticon}}__ (/ edit)

Still better would be to be able to automate the process better, by having a"one click" way to mount the partitions (without having to open a root terminal and rox-filer under root).
I like spacefm better, but you need to tell it to show the devices..
Indeed I tried the spacefm and noticed it doesn't by default open /even/ FAT partitions __{{emoticon}}__
Praytell how you (as non-root) instruct it to mount the devices ?
dolphin_oracle
the thing with ntfs-3g driver is that it requires root permissions to mount/unmount. I set my ntfs data partition to automount to avoid this issue, and these setting in my fstab entry for my datapartition do allow my regular user access.

Code: Select all

UUID=E01EC8171EC7E51E    /media/datapart    ntfs-3g    uid=1000,gid=users,dmask=002,fmask=113,auto,comment=x-gvfs-show,locale=en_US.UTF-8    0    0
by the way, I've done a video series on spacefm. check it out on my channel. here's a particularly good video from the antiX 13 days, showing you how to configure 1-click mounting of internal devices (around the 14 minute mark)

^---- embedded YouTube-hosted video: https://www.youtube.com/JI3PMAPz8eY?list=PLTRkAa6x1htV9azsyuNzUXsKaxg7OiNDB

and the original video, showing all kinds of other more standard options

^---- embedded YouTube-hosted video: https://www.youtube.com/BJN9j8KHRZE?list=PLTRkAa6x1htV9azsyuNzUXsKaxg7OiNDB

the udevil method is the default in antiX 15/16 's version of spacefm, so you don't have to do that part in the video.
Last edited by dolphin_oracle on 01 Nov 2016, 12:28, edited 3 times in total.
thriftee
spacefm has a really nice way to display drive partitions, but its not the default

here is a screenshot of where to tweak the setup. you'd need a root window i'm guessing
thriftee
I see DO is assisting, I probably got that from his video once upon a time.

If you use IceWM you can add button icons to your toolbar to run things like a spacefm root terminal...

This is my ~/.icewm/toolbar file. After changing it you need to click the menu button, click Logout, then click Restart IceWM:

Code: Select all

# This is a default toolbar definition file for IceWM
#
# Place your personal variant in $HOME/.icewm directory.

### Commonly used applications
prog"Screenshot" /usr/share/icons/screenshot.png antixscreenshot.sh
prog"Volume Control/Mixer" /usr/share/icons/Faenza-Cupertino-mini/status/16/audio-volume-medium.png desktop-defaults-run -t alsamixer -D equal
prog"WiFi/Network Setup" /usr/share/icons/antiX/nm-device-wireless.png desktop-defaults-run -t sudo ceni
prog"Unplug Removable Device" /usr/share/icons/usb5.png unplugdrive.sh
prog"Web Browser" /usr/share/icons/Faenza-Cupertino-mini/apps/32/web-browser.png desktop-defaults-run -b
prog"Terminal" /usr/share/icons/Faenza-Cupertino-mini/apps/32/terminal.png desktop-defaults-run -t
prog"File Manager" /usr/share/icons/Faenza/apps/48/spacefm.png desktop-defaults-run -fm
prog"Root Editor" /usr/share/icons/programmers_editor2.png desktop-defaults-run -r -t -te
prog"Root Midnight Commander" /usr/share/icons/Ships-Wheel.png desktop-defaults-run -t sudo mc
prog"Root Terminal" /usr/share/icons/Faenza-Cupertino-mini/apps/32/gksu-root-terminal.png desktop-defaults-run -r -t
prog"Root File Manager" /usr/share/icons/Faenza-Cupertino-mini/apps/48/spacefm-root.png sudo spacefm
Ninho
Thank you both - great help !

Should I choose to mount the NTFS manually (/not/ in fstab), is it important
that I unmount before leaving the UI or shutting downg altogether, or is the OS
smart enough to unmount by itself in an orderly way ?
dolphin_oracle
Ninho wrote:Thank you both - great help !

Should I choose to mount the NTFS manually (/not/ in fstab), is it important
that I unmount before leaving the UI or shutting downg altogether, or is the OS
smart enough to unmount by itself in an orderly way ?
all drives get unmounted at shutdown, so it will be fine.