topic title: Boot Repair
dolphin_oracle
mello wrote:
anticapitalista wrote:Did you install grub into the mbr of the live disk? You should have.
anti,
Please translate"live disk", which sounds like the LiveCD installer . . .

That was NOT an option, only sda (HD) and sdb (thumb drive destination device).

Q: Can the Grub boot loader be repaired?

thx
mello
* fix what's broken *
Which did you choose? The usb stick you were installing to or the internal hard drive?
dolphin_oracle
I don't know, but I suspect that what was sdb when you installed onto your usb stick is now sda.

So you could try editing the /boot/grub/menu.lst of the usb stick to reflect a possible change in drive designation.

Code: Select all

root (hd0,0)
This is a guess, but its worth a shot.
mello
male wrote: . . . in antiX they can use the Grub2 instead of Grub-legacy. Have I practiced several times (assuming the appropriate sources are set up).

apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
rm -rf /boot/grub
apt-get purge grub-gfxboot
apt-get install grub2 os-prober
In addition, if you want to install on a USB drive:

apt-get install fll-iso2usb install-usb-gui
update-grub
__{{emoticon}}__
male,

I need to gain access to the broken system's files along with some motivation for this to happen w/AntiX.

Q: What are the options?
mello
mello
dolphin_oracle wrote:
mello wrote:
anticapitalista wrote:Did you install grub into the mbr of the live disk? You should have.
anti,
Please translate"live disk", which sounds like the LiveCD installer . . .

That was NOT an option, only sda (HD) and sdb (thumb drive destination device).

Q: Can the Grub boot loader be repaired?

thx
mello
* fix what's broken *
Which did you choose? The usb stick you were installing to or the internal hard drive?
dolphin_oracle,

This sounds like my experience w/Slackware, where LILO needs to be installed to the first (sda) drive.
Going this route means the thumb drive must permanantly be connected!

Grub2 does NOT have this limitation.

mello
mello
dolphin_oracle wrote:I don't know, but I suspect that what was sdb when you installed onto your usb stick is now sda.

So you could try editing the /boot/grub/menu.lst of the usb stick to reflect a possible change in drive designation.

root (hd0,0)
This is a guess, but its worth a shot.

dolphin_oracle,

A constant reboot loop results.
mello
Last edited by mello on 06 Mar 2014, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
mello - you still haven't answered the question. A simple yes or no will do.

When you installed to your usb stick, which was sdb, whan it cam to the install grub part in the installer, did you install to MBR/sdb?
mello
anticapitalista wrote:
When you installed to your usb stick, which was sdb, whan it cam to the install grub part in the installer, did you install to MBR/sdb?
anti,
A: yes
Q: Doesn't the HD (sda) get involved, otherwise?
Last edited by mello on 06 Mar 2014, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.
mello
dolphin_oracle wrote:
I would think whatever limitations you see from a liveUSB may be mitigated with a liveUSB w/ persistence enabled approach.
dolphin_oracle,

Tried a liveUSB on a 1gb stick. Used a 128MB root and 128MB home persistance, which is VERY limited.

Q: What's a valid stick size for liveUSB and the ratio of root/home persistance?
My research indicates more home persistance is required.

mello
dolphin_oracle
I use a 4gb stick, with 1gb root persistence option. If you use root persistence, you also get the home automatically. I only use root persistence.

I did do an normal install to a usb stick...My devices got very confused, but my usb key ended up sda when it was sdc during the install. I never got a good boot though.

LiveUSB with persistence is a better option in my mind, and will work on any machine, not just the machine you used for the install.
mello
BitJam wrote: On the Live system there is a try= boot parameter that sets how long we try finding the boot device before giving up. The default is 15 seconds.

BitJam,
"try=30" boot code is not recognized on AntiX 13.x LiveUSB. What's the configuration that you claim uses it?
mello
mello
dolphin_oracle wrote:
LiveUSB with persistence is a better option in my mind, and will work on any machine, not just the machine you used for the install.
d_o,
Just installed LiveUSB as you did and find that Claws Mail cannot send or receive mail. Iceweasel browser is very marginal too.

mello
Last edited by mello on 06 Mar 2014, 21:19, edited 1 time in total.
BitJam
mello wrote:"try=30" boot code is not recognized on AntiX 13.x LiveUSB. What's the configuration that you claim uses it?mello
Use"retry=30". The"try" alias for"retry" was a recent addition which should work in MX-14 and antiX-14.

The internal functionality has changed a little too. It used to control the number of *times* we would retry looking for the linuxfs file. Now it controls the number of seconds we wait looking for the linuxfs file. In my mind it used to be retry this many times but now it is try for this many seconds.

Sorry for the confusion.
dolphin_oracle
mello wrote:
dolphin_oracle wrote:
d_o,
Just installed LiveUSB as you did and find that Claws Mail cannot send or receive mail. Iceweasel browser is very marginal too. Its preloaded bookmarks don't work, along with"Get Add-ons". . . VERY frustrating!

Please confirm on your end.

mello
I cannot confirm. works really well for me. I still use sticks I made in the videos

almost sounds like your internet connection is not working.
mello
dolphin_oracle wrote:
mello wrote:
I cannot confirm. works really well for me. I still use sticks I made in the videos

almost sounds like your internet connection is not working.
d_o,
Cold-Reboot is required, since that's all I changed to restore functionality.
mello
mello
dolphin_oracle wrote:I use a 4gb stick, with 1gb root persistence option. If you use root persistence, you also get the home automatically. I only use root persistence.
hi,
My 256MB RAM rig does NOT boot under these parameters:
Not enough space in RAM to hold persistance root.

TIME TO REMASTER!

Q1: Any chance resizing persistance w/o destroying data?

Q2: Is there a better way setting-up persistance w/low-RAM?
mello