topic title: black screen
zpimp
i run antix15 x64, acer laptop
t9500 /4gb ram/ ati hd 4650 1gb
i dont have swap
system is installed for about 2 years, i installed lots of packages, but never had any problem

yesterday, i was browsing reddit
on iceweasel, with youtube(html5)
not more than 40 tabs, done this before, never reached 2gb ram usage

suddenly i get black screen, but youtube sound was working

i tried to switch console ctrl-alt-f
not working

i also wanted to try sysrq, but didnt even know how to do that

what could have happened and how can i prevent it in the future
rokytnji
Next time it happens. Shine a flashlight on the lcd screen. Sounds almost like your backlight bulb burned out. Or the backlight connector is loose. Sounds like a hardware issue to me.

Maybe even video chip going out ? I only mention this because I got rid of my Axer laptops.
The netbook AA01 ZG5 I gave to my father-in-law. The other I sold.

I always had something to fix on Acer equipment hardware wise.
zpimp
i realised that it has to do with my smartphone (galaxy s5) and my laptop (acer 5738zg)
i had it over the laptop keyboard, when it ranged, the display instantly shut off
checked again, it happens when i slide the active smartphone (in a call) over the laptop keyboard in the left-down corner xcv, space keys
it also does it in windows, i suspect, it has something to do with a hardware component not necesseraly a bug

can someone try initiating a call and sliding the phone over the laptop keyboard ?
i think i saw this before, when i had some hp laptops, when stacked one over another it didnt display anything on screen
this doesent happen when the phone is running on wifi, but its a gsm only problem, when im in a call

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8900-series-discussion-javelin/188118-phone-turns-off-my-laptop-screen.html"
linktext was:"http://www.blackberryforums.com/general ... creen.html"
====================================

it seems the culprit is a magnet in the laptop"mating" with one in the phone basically shuts down the display
is there a way to wake up the display if i accidentally do this again?

they say: The solution is to not do this anymore.
i feel relieved, antix is still rocksolid

also acer is fine, 7 years, its been through 3hdds, 3 keyboards (spilled coffe and or juice on it), upgraded cpu (1mb->6mb cache)
dropped it 1 time, break a little piece, glued it together, dissasemble it every year for cleaning dust and changing thermal paste
runs like a champ, i guess a thinkpad would be better, but i cant really complain, except its kinda hard disassembling, heard thinkpads are easy
rokytnji
Sounds like a hardware issue to me.
Well, kinda sorta right. First time I ever heard of aphone shutting down a laptop screen when passing over the keyboard though. __{{emoticon}}__
they say: The solution is to not do this anymore.
Seems reasonable to me anyways. __{{emoticon}}__

No time tonight to experiment with my iphone and my dell,panasonic,companion,and ibm laptops.
Sorry. __{{emoticon}}__
jdmeaux1952
Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I do this.

Groucho: Then stop dong that.

__{{emoticon}}__ JD