topic title: Biker strikes back
rokytnji
My wife is the Animal Control Officer in this one horse town.
She in the performance of here job saw one dog chained up and starving, (skin and bones), was in a back yard looking half dead.
She decided to feed it but another dog in the back yard. A bull dog. Would not let the other dog that was chained to eat.

So she fed both dogs to stop the fighting. After things settled down. She checked out the dog on the chain and decided to take him to
the local vet. She called a police officer to supervise. Since no warrant was issued.
She did this because she considered the dog in imminent danger. Like a dog in a burning building. A warrant would be too little too late.

The police officer showed up and did not dispute her reasoning. The vet even said the the dog was on his last legs.
Now for my gripe. The owner of the said dog is a buddy of the police chief here. He called the police chief and told him my wife had no
right to remove the dog and take it to the vet without a warrant. So the police chief opens a can of worms and my wife is the center of
attention and has to prove that she is in the right. Never mind that our police chief is not educated enough to know the law.

Good Ol Boy Network rules West Texas.

So this Biker had to come to his wifes defense and edjumecate these back woods yahoos.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.animallaw.info/cases/caustx540sw2d717.htm"
linktext was:"http://www.animallaw.info/cases/caustx540sw2d717.htm"
====================================

This brings us to the question of whether this evidence was illegally obtained. First, we note that the 'search' on April 15 and the 'seizure' on April 23 were both conducted by the Humane Society or persons acting in their capacity as members of the society and not by police officers. Miss DeStefano testified that the county attorney advised her that the Humane Society was authorized to seize the animals under Art. 184, V.A.C.S. The statute was repealed after the seizure of the animals in the instant case, but appellant concedes that Miss DeStefano may have had the authority to take charge of the animals. It is appellant's contention that once the animal is properly seized by a 'civil authority' for the purpose of protecting the life of the animal, any evidence concerning the animal would not be admissible in a criminal proceeding. To allow the admission, appellant contends, would place the civil authority under Article 184 in direct conflict with the constitutional rights guaranteed under the Fourth Amendment. It is the determination of this Court that the search in the instant case was not unreasonable.

We find that in the present case a police officer could have done what Miss DeStefano did. It is well recognized that the Fourth Amendment protects people and not places. What a person knowingly exposes to the public is not subject to Fourth Amendment protection. Long v. State, 532 S.W.2d 591 (Tex.Cr.App.1976); Katz v. United States, 389 U.S. 347, 88 S.Ct. 507, 19 L.Ed.2d 576 (1967). A search means, of necessity, a quest for, a looking for, or a seeking out of that which offends against the law. This implies a prying into hidden places for that which is concealed. It is simply not a search to observe that which is open to view. Turner v. State, 499 S.W.2d 182 (Tex.Cr.App.1973); Long, supra.
What gets to me is that I got to show a city official how to do his job. My wife is a paid peace officer. She is doing her job.

She had a patrol officer there. But she is in the wrong? __{{emoticon}}__
Don't mess with a Bikers family.
He'll take you to combat. __{{emoticon}}__
duncan_mk
Interesting! Here in the UK the Royal Society for the Protection of Animals (RSPCA) have very considerable powers. A friend of mine had an old Spaniel. He & the dog were very fond of each other. Things went wrong. His wife of 30 odd years ran off with another man. Eventually, Dave (my friend) came home one night, found that his wife had moved back in to the marital home, changed the locks & dumped his possessions outside. Finally the landlord of his business premises - in which he ran a (successful) Fish 'n Chip shop - terminated the lease and his (the landlord's) son took over the business. Dave now has no wife, no job, no home and an acrimonious divorce

Well, after quite a while - he sort of got himself back together. Got a house for himself & the dog (Alfie), found a rather dubious job in as pub (paid less than minimum wage, cash-in-hand) where he cooked & served behind the bar. Alfie was by now getting old, infirm & unwanted by the wife, Dave worked long hours. But in the morning, before work, Dave would walk Alfie, leave him in the house with food & water and not get home 'til late.

Now, this pub was a bit of a late night drinking shebeen. No-one lived on the premises but the Landlady's Son slept there overnight (we're talking large, many-roomed, premises here) and one night, after a late session (presided over by Dave) the son hadn't returned home & Dave had to stay on as custodian. The upshot is that he didn't get home 'til the following night - when he discovered that Alfie had been crying, a neighbour had reported it to the Police, the Police & RSPCA had broken into the house, removed the dog & he was in deep shit.

The whole event was reported in the local Press in very lurid terms. Dave was charged, fined (quite a lot) and banned from having a dog for 3(?) years. The description of him in the Press branded him as callous & uncaring. No one knows what happened to poor olod Alfie!

Your man wouldn't stand a chance over here.

dmk

A Staffordshire Bull Terrier man (lovedly, gentle, sweet natured dogs)
rokytnji
A Staffordshire Bull Terrier man (lovedly, gentle, sweet natured dogs)
You'd like my Mommas then

She is in guard/alert mode as there are some high school kids walking down the street raising hell when I took that picture.
duncan_mk
I certainly do. She has very much the look & build of my bitch (7 1/2 yr old). My wife & son are the photographers - I'll get them to dig out a pic & post it.

The press over here is going thru' one of its periodic bouts of moral indignation about"dangerous dogs" and Staffies feature. The last major bout blew up about 25 years ago & resulted in The Dangerous Dogs Act which said that a Pit Bull was any cross bred Staff & mandated that all Pit Bulls should be destroyed!. There was a case at the time where the Constabulary decided that some elderly & innocuous family pet was a Pit Bull and took it for destruction. The owner went to Court over it, the local Magistrates backed the police & the whole thing ended up before a Judge. I can't remember the upshot but I think the dog got off in the end.

There are 6 to 12 Staffs in this village. All good with one exception - a huge, rescued, bitch probably trained for fighting, fine with people but goes berserk around other dogs.

dmk
duncan_mk
Here's Bod

ImageImage
duncan_mk
duncan_mk
Hmm - didn't work out quite as I'd hoped.
duncan_mk
Sorry about all this - got there at last

rokytnji
Nice __{{emoticon}}__ . Bod could pass for Mommas brother. Funny that we are continents apart yet so alike. __{{emoticon}}__
duncan_mk
Umm! Well, yes! Apart from the fact that Bod's female.

Glad you like her

dmk