vinoman
I have antiX 8.2, is it best to upgrade by running
# apt-get upgrade ?
anticapitalista
Site Admin
An upgrade of 8.2 will install a lot of apps. You might be better off downloading and installing antiX-M8.5-rc3 from here:

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/Test-releases/antiX-M8.5/"
linktext was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/Test-releases/antiX-M8.5/"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

If you want to keep antiX-M8.2 then you will need to make a few changes before upgrading.
vinoman
when will the final 8.5 come out? I may give 8.5 a try.
Last edited by vinoman on 27 Feb 2010, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.
vinoman
I also can't install K3b for the same reasons. What can I install?
Why are the dependencies a problem?
anticapitalista
Site Admin
antiX-M8.5 will be out pretty soon. rc3 is 99% ready.

Since antiX-M8.2 was released there has been a lot of changes in Debian Testing and MEPIS, one being the newer kernel that is needed for the newer udev. Another is the fast boot in latest M8.5. Also kde has gone from 3.5.10 to 4.3. Changes in config files and lots more mean that upgrading 8.2 is not as simple as it was a few months ago.

To upgrade individual apps, use aptitude instead of apt-get as it will offer a solution to dependency problems.

If you are not sure whether to accept the suggestion from aptitude, post for help.
vinoman
anticapitalista wrote:antiX-M8.5 will be out pretty soon. rc3 is 99% ready.

Since antiX-M8.2 was released there has been a lot of changes in Debian Testing and MEPIS, one being the newer kernel that is needed for the newer udev. Another is the fast boot in latest M8.5. Also kde has gone from 3.5.10 to 4.3. Changes in config files and lots more mean that upgrading 8.2 is not as simple as it was a few months ago.

To upgrade individual apps, use aptitude instead of apt-get as it will offer a solution to dependency problems.

If you are not sure whether to accept the suggestion from aptitude, post for help.
I installed 8.5 rc3 and Brasero was able to install. but what has been a problem is the confusing menu where its very hard to find the important settings that run antiX. Once the menu is better organized more people will be able to use it. I couldn't find where to change the background! In the last version is was easier to find.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
The change background app is in the same place in antiX-M8.5 as it was in antiX-M8.2 ie via the antiX control centre in the toolbar on the bottom.
vinoman
anticapitalista wrote:The change background app is in the same place in antiX-M8.5 as it was in antiX-M8.2 ie via the antiX control centre in the toolbar on the bottom.
Thank you. I really like antiX overall.

Mepis was the first Linux distro I used full time in 2004. The IceWM is very smooth once you know where things are. __{{emoticon}}__