topic title: aumix
OU812
Hello. I wanted to run alsaconf since my laptop's sound was too low. However, alsaconf seems to have been removed by a recent update. At anti's suggestion, I did

Code: Select all

apt-get install alsa-utils/stable alsa-base/stable
I had to run alsaconf about 3 times before everything seemed to work properly. However, aumix seems a bit off. The master slider seems fine, but when I move the pcm slider the headphone volume (I had alsamixer and aumix open at the same time) is adjusted instead.

Any ideas? Thanks.

john
OU812
Got an error message during boot about config files - specific to alsa. When the desktop loaded, I noticed that the volwheel icon looked muted. So I updated through synaptic. Now I have no sound. Any ideas? Thanks.

john
OU812
Did some research. Did two things and now sound works. Well, it probably worked before and I just couldn't hear it.

1. Open aumix. Choose File > Load from > /etc/modprobe.d/sound.conf

2. Open alsamixer. Turn up"front" volume.

I don't know if step 1 was necessary. Things are a little strange still, but sound works and is finally loud enough to hear. Weird things:

1. In aumix, pcm2 corresponds to alsamixer's headphone volume.

2. Xmms uses pcm to control volume. pcm can be seen in alsamixer, but not in aumix.

I'm wondering if maybe we should use gamix in antix instead. I think aumix may be a dead project. According to the homepage, the current version of aumix was released in 2002. Here's a screenshot (the only strangeness is that front in alsamixer corresponds to playback in gamix).

The additional window you see is a config window. Nice.

john
plvera
John:
Thanks for this tip. I was having problems with sound in one of my desktops. So I had to do the alsaconf install and also tried gamix. I like it better than aumix. I think it's a nice app.

Pedro