G.W.
Installed this Linux version, 'cause thought it would automatically make my graphics card run.
It doesn't. Finding out installing drivers is pretty complicated. In a forum, someone mentioned a Linux distro that did automatically detect and run the graphics card (not sure if it is true) but kinda stupidly forgot where that was, and don't remember the name, anyone here an idea?

Ps Fedora was kinda coming to mind, but can't find anything about automatically cards and graviks and well ya' know, that from earlier , in any searches.
BitJam
Almost all modern Linux distros (including ours) automatically detect the vast majority of graphics cards. To help us find out why your card is not being detected automatically, please post the output of the following two commands:

Code: Select all

inxi -F
lspci -nnk
Since the Rage Pro is 20 years old, it is possible it is no longer supported in the Linux kernel. The r128 driver is included in antiX-16 but it might not work with the older Rage Pro cards. The information I asked for should help us figure this out. On the *live* system you could try using the boot parameter"xorg=mach64". That would force the system to use the Rage Pro driver. But it if doesn't work then you will only have a command line interface available.
G.W.
Yeah, it is even older than i thought (bought it in 2006 ish). A little misunderstanding from my part, it is of course detecting the hardware while it is installing on the pc. But since i installed it on one, and then moved the hdd to the pc i want it to run on, it is detecting i am guessing not the pc i have in mind of using it on later while installing on the first. thought it would detect it at first startup or something for some reason, not really gave it a second thought i guess. Anyhow, the pc i want to run it on won't recognize the cd rom drive, and won't boot from usb, so that's why all the ..... that.

Now coming to mind may be the floppy drive will work, but have to do some extra moving parts around.

May try doing commands later, if it is still any use somehow.
ps If you read till so far, then thanks.
ps Were do i put in these commands? And what is"on the live system"? , if trying booting from floppy seems better, i'll try that first. Sorry for bit talkative mood i seem to be in.
rokytnji
Were do i put in these commands?
In a rox terminal. Then copy and paste the output in your next post using code tags <hash mark on toolbar> using the full editor button in quick reply.

example:

Code: Select all

harry@biker:~
$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Card: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
           Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1600x900@60.01hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.3.2
BitJam
G.W. wrote:I installed it on one, and then moved the hdd to the pc i want it to run on, it is detecting i am guessing not the pc i have in mind of using it on later while installing on the first.
Ah yes, that will bypass our automatic hardware detection.

Okay, now that we know the situation, this shouldn't be too hard to fix. The first thing to try is to delete the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf if it exists and then see if you can start X. For example:
ls /etc/X11/xorg.conf
sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
sudo service slim restart
If that doesn't work then the next step would be to create an xorg.conf that says to use the safe vesa driver. This is one of the steps used in our safe video mode. You won't get 2-D or 3-D acceleration but you should get X windows to start:
sudo make-xorg-conf vesa -o /etc/X11/xorg.conf
I would be surprised if that doesn't work. But if there is still no joy, then try making a safe xorg.conf where you repeat the above but use"safe" instead of"vesa":
sudo make-xorg-conf safe -o /etc/X11/xorg.conf
G.W.
All the commands got me spooked a bit , so tried some other things, like making bootable floppy and reinstalling it directly, but pc not recognizing the drive, and probably had no good install floppy anyway. So, giving up (at least for now). Thanks for the help.

Planned on using Ubuntu more on main pc, so may be after some more experience, i can take a look back here. So bye, for now anyway (and in case a random next person feels like posting a tip!).

PS countless hours, at least a workweek, to get a pc running i know i can order (better version) for 25 bucks incl, shipping, it's that just: if i quit now, all the time put in is for nothing, and when succeeding, then , not so much, or is it just me? Don't answer (like someone would!) Oké stopping now, bye.