cwilliams
I've been running an older version of antiX on my current system with great success .
My current system is a P4 2.4GHz , 4GB ddr333 , nvidia geforce 6200 512MB card.
I have ordered , a new mobo , i5-4570s , 8GB ddr3 1600 ram with onboard Intel HD4600 graphics.
My question is , should I use antiX-13.1_x64-full.iso for this new machine.
I am new to the 64 bit OS side of things , so any recommendations would be welcome.
Should I go with the testing repos this time , my current system uses wheezy.
Thanks a bunch , I usually get my answers here , and don't post much as there are far smarter people than me to give great answers.
Colin
BitJam
What make/model is the new motherboard? AntiX does not have a UEFI compatible installer so if your mb is UEFI enabled then you will have to use legacy mode.

I think you should use a 64-bit kernel.

I can't answer your question about using the testing repo.
cwilliams
Good question , I don't know about that , I'll find out though.
The Board is a MSI H87-G43
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130697"
linktext was:"http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813130697"
====================================

It looked like it would have some cool features and be really fast compared to my current machine.
Thanks for the reply , I'll check .......
Colin
cwilliams
Ok , I figured it out , if installing windows (first) it formats the drive with a GPT format setup.
Linux wants to boot from a MBR format instead , so the disk would be messed up by windows first.
Apparently if you only install Linux , like I do , and always partition the disk before an install as an MBR system , there would be no problem even with EFI enabled.
Legacy mode would be fine though if the need arises.
I was reading , if windows is installed with a USB stick instead of a DVD disk , the MBR option is then possible for the original windows install , which would make a dual boot pretty much normal.
Thanks for the input BitJam
Colin
qosmio
cwilliams wrote:Ok , I figured it out , if installing windows (first) it formats the drive with a GPT format setup.
Linux wants to boot from a MBR format instead , so the disk would be messed up by windows first.
Hi. First. Not all linux distro's supports only mbr, some supports UEFI. I used to run Arch on my new box that i buildt recently with a Asus motherboard. I wanted the mbr for my setup ( I installed windows first with GPT) so i had to convert my drive to mbr via command prompt before i installed windows again and Arch linux for a regular dualboot setup. I never gonna have more than 2 partitions on my ssd anyway. You can change a disk from GPT to MBR partition style as long as the disk is empty and contains no volumes. If you have a second drive wich are empty and want to put linux on that you can change the disk to mbr from windows 7 disk management tool, install antix on it and boot from that drive choosing linux or windows. If you only have 1 drive and already have windows installed with GPT style partition then you have to wipe that drive clean and convert the drive to mbr.

So, you enter command prompt from windows 7 install dvd and run diskpart. Then list your drives with the command list disk. You will then have the option to choose wich drive you want to modify. Lets use disk 1 here. Type command select disk 1 and the type clean (it will wipe your drive) and at last convert mbr and press enter and close the prompt. You can also convert the drive using gdisk in linux.

You now have a mbr partition style harddrive. Reboot and boot with Antix Live:)

Just a comment.

Cheers __{{emoticon}}__
cwilliams
Thay's pretty good to know.
I've setup a bunch of dual boot windows machines with Mepis and antiX , and it's cool that MBR can be done with the DVD install.
Thanks for the heads up qosmio.
Colin