AntiX reports larger disk size than reality: advice, please

PDW42
I recently installed AntiX on a Thinkpad 570E, a very old but nice machine with 192Mb RAM and a 10Gb (I think, may be 12Gb) disk. Linux boots and seems to run OK, but the disk size is reported as 40Gb, much larger than the actual size. This has happened with more than one Linux installation on this machine so I suspect the issue is deeper down than the specific distro, but as AntiX is the current OS I hope you'll be able to help.

Windows XP, the previous OS for this machine, knew the right disk size, so I assume the basic hardware and firmware are OK.

Is it possible to correct the disk size by convincing Linux that the disk is smaller than it thinks - and are the consequences as worrying as I suspect they might be if I do nothing and hit the 10Gb physical maximum?
rokytnji
Post a

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
and a

Code: Select all

sudo parted -l
and if you wanna. Take a screenshot of Gparted being open also on your machine and post the it in your next thread.

Use full editor reply button on the reply box. When using antix screenshot utility . Use the custom from the drop down menu and highlight around gparted window and let go of the mouse left click button.

You'll figure it out. Howdy and Welcome.
fatmac
You sure you didn't upgrade your disk - 10GB (or even 20GB) disks went out of fashion a long time ago........if it isn't too much of a problem, just open up the drive bay & check on the disk itself.
PDW42
fatmac:"You sure you didn't upgrade your disk - 10GB (or even 20GB) disks went out of fashion a long time ago........if it isn't too much of a problem, just open up the drive bay & check on the disk itself."

Errr ... I did look at the disk as you suggested, and read the label. You were right. Could you please help me spell 'idiot' ... I retire embarrassed.

Thanks for your help, and apologies for wasting your time.
dolphin_oracle
welcome to the forum, PDW42! Your little escapade with your disk size marks you as one of us! __{{emoticon}}__
PDW42
Hhhmmm ... thanks (I think), dolphin_oracle __{{emoticon}}__
Shay
PDW42 wrote:fatmac:"You sure you didn't upgrade your disk - 10GB (or even 20GB) disks went out of fashion a long time ago........if it isn't too much of a problem, just open up the drive bay & check on the disk itself."

Errr ... I did look at the disk as you suggested, and read the label. You were right. Could you please help me spell 'idiot' ... I retire embarrassed.

Thanks for your help, and apologies for wasting your time.
Welcome to the club, but I think I beat you to that trick by about 15 or more years.
fatmac
__{{emoticon}}__ We all do it at sometime......welcome to the club! __{{emoticon}}__