NamiG
Hello!

As it says in the title. Antix freezes randomly everytime i start it without exeption. Sometimes its after an hour from booting and sometimes after 10 minutes. It doesnt seem to be related to what im doing with it or what programs im running.

I havent istalled anything else yet except for the LXDE desktop BC somebody told me that the desktop could be the problem. But it wasnt, still freezes.

Im runing it in an old toshiba satellite with 356mb of ram at 1195 mhz and a 6gb hard drive (but at some point during the instalation antix created a 1.03gb swap partition and 4.37gb for storage.

TIA
rokytnji
Post a

Code: Select all

inxi -F
so members can see what you are running.
NamiG
rokytnji wrote:Post a

inxi -F
so members can see what you are running.
Heres the info:

System:    Host: Luna Kernel: 4.0.5-antix.1-486-smp i686 (32 bit)
           Desktop: Fluxbox 1.3.5
           Distro: antiX-15-V_386-full Killah P 30 June 2015
Machine:   System: TOSHIBA product: Satellite 1405 v: PS140U-027XFX
           Mobo: TOSHIBA model: Portable PC v: Version A0
           Bios: TOSHIBA v: Version 1.30 date: 07/02/2002
CPU:       Single core Intel Celeron (-UP-) cache: 256 KB
           speed: 1195 MHz (max)
Graphics:  Card: Trident Microsystems CyberBlade XPAi1
           Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 driver: vesa
           Resolution: 1024x768@61.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.5, 128 bits)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.3.2
Audio:     Card ULi M5451 PCI AC-Link Controller Audio Device
           driver: snd_ali5451
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.0.5-antix.1-486-smp
Network:   Card: Intel 82551QM Ethernet Controller driver: e100
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: 00:00:39:33:a1:c4
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 173.9GB (2.1% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MK6015MA size: 6.0GB
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: 2AS size: 160.0GB
           ID-3: USB /dev/sdc model: SD_MMC_Reader size: 7.8GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 4.4G used: 2.5G (61%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 1.10GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda2
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 60.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 99 Uptime: 2 min Memory: 80.4/355.5MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.25
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Have you checked to see if the RAM sticks are ok? It might be a hardware issue.
NamiG
anticapitalista wrote:Have you checked to see if the RAM sticks are ok? It might be a hardware issue.
Thanks for the suggestion. Just finished checking but it doesnt seem to be the problem. They dont look phisically damaged and memtest gives no errors.
rokytnji
60C cpu temp on low spec gear like you have can climb after a hour after some hard loads.

My P3 1000Hz runs at 100% cpu on my IBM T23 if I am not careful.

Htop is your friend (it is in the menu) to monitor what processes are eating hardware and graphs are there for ram.

In /var/log there are some zipped up dmesg files from previous runs you might want to copy over to ~/home/Documents.
Extract there using xarchiver. Then read the end of those files to get a hint of what causes the freeze ups.

Heat is usually a cause or hardware failure. On low spec gear on yours. You need to dig around a look for a root cause.
NamiG
rokytnji wrote:60C cpu temp on low spec gear like you have can climb after a hour after some hard loads.

My P3 1000Hz runs at 100% cpu on my IBM T23 if I am not careful.

Htop is your friend (it is in the menu) to monitor what processes are eating hardware and graphs are there for ram.

In /var/log there are some zipped up dmesg files from previous runs you might want to copy over to ~/home/Documents.
Extract there using xarchiver. Then read the end of those files to get a hint of what causes the freeze ups.

Heat is usually a cause or hardware failure. On low spec gear on yours. You need to dig around a look for a root cause.
I never had heating problems with before but i checked it anyways and it froze right after I checked the temperature so im 100% sure it was at 44c (thats good, right?)

The process that was consuming most was /usr/bin/x11/X (which i believe its the GUI) and it was at 10%cpu usage and 4.7 memory. That doesnt seem to be much but im not sure.

The overall hardware usage at the moment of the freezing was CPU at 16% and ram at 109Mb

As for the logs, i really dont understand them but the last lines were the same in all of them:
FS-Cache loaded
FS-Cache: Netfs 'nfs' registered for caching
Installing Knfsd something something about a copyright.
masinick
44 degrees Celsius is equal to 111.2 degrees Fahrenheit. That's on the warm side.
60 degrees Celsius is equal to 140 degrees Fahrenheit. That's getting"up there". Not quite egg frying temperature, but pretty close!
rokytnji
nothing useful showing in dmesg. Htop did not show anything I can help with either. Hmmm. You are running the vesa driver which is good.

Now it is experiment time. Older gear likes to run on older kernels, I keep a real old one bookmarked for hard cases like yours.

So download kernel image and header from here. Install with gdebi or dpkg -i inside the folder you download them to.

Then run

sudo update-grub
to include it on the menu list in grub boot spalsh screen in AntiX.
You will need to used the advance boot menu to find it since it will be under kernel 4 and scroll down with the arrow key to boot this kernel.

Good luck with it.
SamK
There have been some reports that the kernel shipped with antiX-15 can produce issuess on older kit, including overheating. There seems to be a problem in controlling the fan.

Both the following were resolved by installing kernel 3.7.10-antix.7-486 which was produced for antiX-13.2 and recently added to the antiX-15 repos.
noisy-fan-and-high-temp-t5765-15.html
catastrophic-power-off-t5757.html

It's more recent than the one suggested by rokytnji and may be an alternative worth trying.
rokytnji
Yeah, SamK is better than me on these old kits. Follow his advice instead of mine.
NamiG
rokytnji wrote:Yeah, SamK is better than me on these old kits. Follow his advice instead of mine.
Thank you so much! I will.
SamK wrote:There have been some reports that the kernel shipped with antiX-15 can produce issuess on older kit, including overheating. There seems to be a problem in controlling the fan.

Both the following were resolved by installing kernel 3.7.10-antix.7-486 which was produced for antiX-13.2 and recently added to the antiX-15 repos.
noisy-fan-and-high-temp-t5765-15.html
catastrophic-power-off-t5757.html

It's more recent than the one suggested by rokytnji and may be an alternative worth trying.
Which one do i install? The one named headers or the one named image.
Will it be automatically added to the boot menu?
dolphin_oracle
image is the kernel. the headers have information required for compiling driver modules and such. I usually install both the image kernel and the matching headers.
NamiG
dolphin_oracle wrote:image is the kernel. the headers have information required for compiling driver modules and such. I usually install both the image kernel and the matching headers.
I will install both then. Thanks!
NamiG
Nope :c The kernels didnt solved the problem

First I installed and runed kernel 3.7.10-antix.7-486 but it still froze. It took longer for it to freeze though.

Then I tried the one rokytnji shared but i couldnt install the headers because libqt3-mt dependency was missing. So Installed the image anyways and tried the kenrnel with no luck. It froze again.