woodsmoke
This is a very long post and prolly will be one of very few but:

Hello!

First, I would like to thank the administrators for very graciously accepting my application to post on the AntiX forum.

Second, as a kind of introduction for myself, I've been around in Lnux for a short while starting back in 2004 or thereabouts when I kind of got involved with Xandros.

I would NEVER have thought “back in the day”, that I would ever utter......as in Lee Marvin in Paint Your Wagon, never wanting to utter …...THOSE words....... lol....but, “Linux” , in general, has now become “so good” that it really is becoming a “tool” (not the nerdy “tool” lol )..... where ol' Bill said that he wanted his......note HIS......operating system to be a “tool” like a refrigerator. …..we now have Ubuntu being installed in refrigerators.........for free......... while certin other manufacturers are installing Windblows for a price...

But.....unfortunately I've been around in Linux for so long that........now it is a “tool”....which I use on a daily basis for everything I need to do........I teach physics.........and I now have students who are installing Linux......in the Midwestern United States......

So....how do I do that?...... I use “mainstream hardware” and do “stock” distributions.

However, I also do/have installed on the most cutting edge and also the oldest and worstest....

Anyone who knows my history may remember that I have “assembled”, from junque, over a hundred and sixty machines, with various Linux distros installed thereupon, to give away to people in need.

But.....I figure that if the “stock distro” doesn't work then I would probably need to move on.

Third.........Because of that history, and because the Johnnieman who used to grab hardware from the beltways has passed on.......... with him I built my very first gaming machine.... his passing was mourned by many, many, people in the local area.....

And the Gregman........who encouraged me to install on my very first donated, and modded system....a Mepis of.........ancient lineage......when was that.........2005?

He......disappeared...... after showing me how to take..........”stuff”.............from the beltways and somehow cobble together an operating machine............

I remember one time when before such a thing had even been thought of at the “overclock/mod” forums.........he had “maker” built a cooling plate that sat atop the CPU and had clear plastic tubing with ANTIFREEZE in it....to a “radiator” outside the window of his.............. don't quite know how to describe it........but think a young anime cartoon girl in a hyper/Brazil funky /Matrix/.......whatever.....room.......running........

Mepis...................and projecting it through a torn apart laptop screen on an overhead projector onto a wall painted white.......needless to say he also drank a lot of Chartreus back when it was in the cool bottle and the room was lighted with original hot blacklights.......now illegal...and maybe why he dropped off the scanners a few years ago.....dunno......

Fourth.....

Nowadays, as I said, I run a very “bloated” distro.....to “get my work done”........I teach physics at a local college, using the “Dialectic” but.......sometimes I have to “fill in” and have “drop in” lectures which I make using an open source office system, and also use WINE to make “puzzles” and “proprietary” tests using the college software system and it all works just fine.....

But.........ya know what..........that is wonderful.......

Linux has now become a “tool”...........

But.............the high romance..............is somehow lost.............in those distros...

The “high romance” …....of the Tron movie...........Levi's “the Hackers” book...... Marshal McLuhan....”the Medium is the Massage” (note: the word “Massage” is spelled correctly”...the medium “massages” you).

Fifth.........

I mentioned that I have always been rather Geminian in Linux.......

Both cutting edge and old stuff grabbed from the beltways....

I am STANDING.....at a modded hospital “bedside computer table” …....tping on an “air” keyboard and about eight feet from the t.v. upon which AntiX is running.

It is a HEALTHY thing.......and we could try to live a more healthy lifestyle.....right?

I ALSO......... have a “heavy duty work computer......very newish and very high end”........where I “sit” and “do my “work”...

but.....BUT.........”most” of my interaction with my students and collegues is now done on my Android phone.......not even a tablet....... the tablets are in a nice holder being charged all of the time.

But............ because of that..........

And because I started “fiddling” with “getting a Linux to display on a VERY LARGE back projection screen t.v. most of a decade or so ago..........

While “most of the politically correct” say that they “only watch nationalized television or listen to natonationalized radio”..........I started running “ a Linux through my televison SERIOUSLY about seven years ago......

Sixth........

I've gone through a LOT of distros............won't name them...........

And because “the modern way is to be.......COMPLETE....”........from “just being a complete distro” to “being a multimedia distro'........

My old hardware has just had a struggle.......with those distros........and the devs really did want to be all things to all people.........

THE PROBLEM IS WORDING.........

“cutting edge” ….....does not necessarily mean....”bloated”..........

“small distro” does not necessarily mean “limited function”......

That was “the Medium is the Massage” moment......

JUST WHAT IS IT THAT.......I want to. DO........”on a t.v”?

Ummmmmm FIRST ...put some romantic music on and …........chase the significant other around the couch!!!.........Hopefully ending up on the faux bear rug!!

With all apologies to the Foundation for the Preservation of Naugas.

Anywayh........

What is it that I REALLY need from a distro on “the t.v”.

a) Since, by definition one is not “sitting at a desk” ….......I use a “Gyration” “airmouse” and “keyboard”.........both wireless.......and the only thing that I can't “do”.........is “drag”....something.....If I can clik it ok...otherwise I have to lay the AIRmouse on a surface and “drag” stuff...

b) listen to streaming, or onboard, or cd, music

c) watch “stuff” from YouTube or whatever.

d) Televisions REALLY DO.......STILL.....”have a problem” with “screen burn in”........When I am standing in the right place and the light “reflects” in just the right way.......I can SEE the “burn in patterns”......mainly caused by heat......on the screen......

So......the distro has to be able to EASILY …........so that it can be shown to a non-user..... do a screensaver or a “change the background/wallpaper”.....

e) NOT GET JAGGY or SLOW, or BEHIND when showing a YouTube thing.

AND THEN.........

because I'm just a doof from the beltways of a thousnd years from now.........

do it on “less than optimal” hardware.

Seventh.........having gone through waaaay tooo many distros......looking for the one that will do the “Limbo Rock”.....how LOW will you GO................

AntiX …......is the rockstar on:

AMD Sempron ™ Processor 2600+
966MB (339 MB used)
1920 x 1080 pixels
GeForce 6100 / integrated / SSE2/3DNOW!
The X.Org Foundation
NFORCE – Intel ICH (audio adapter)

I TRY MY BEST to always run non-proprietary videodrivers but......

Unfortunatey to get Antix to.....not be HORRIBLY JAGGY AND BLEEDING.... I had to enable Nvidia drivers..

The whole thing about sudo enable xorg with the Nvidia thing did not work....

I installed from Synaptic the Nvidia GUI etc....but no go..

gotta install nvidia and glrx and restart etc...nope

I had to “go back to the basics” about loading Nvidia drivers etc..

But........given all that hoopla......

Upon a restart........WITHOUT HAVING TO ENABLE ANYTHING....

NOW YES …......I HAD TO RESTART TWICE........I HAVE had to do that before with other bleeding edge distros to let the 'ol girl.......'gather her skirts”........

But second restart..........and the display was SOOOO GOOOD........that I had to put my NOSE ON THE SCREEN......... lol to be able to read the text!!!

I mean.....that “Debian girl” with the blue eyes wallpaper........she could have kissed me!! lol

BUT...it all works.....

NVIDIA DRIVER VERSION; 304.125
Server Version Number 11.0
Server Vendor String: The X:Org foundation
Server Vendor Version: 1.12.4 (11204000)
NV-CONTROL version: 1.28
Screens: 1

THE TELEVISION: Samsung LCD 48 inch diagonal.
Eighth:

Comments:

a) the download of the iso took...., give or take, two minutes in the Midwestern United States on “cable”
b) The install took.......FOUR.....tries because of the ancient hardware.... but it finally took.
c) The actual install did NOT take “ten minutes”........it took..........8 minutes and 22 seconds by my Android phone clock.
d) I moved the panel to the top initially because of the driver problem, the raster scan has to “hit” what is on the “left first”.....AND.......it was not pretty if one had more than “the desktop” running.,. put a window like You Tube on it and it was not pretty....... __{{emoticon}}__
e) After the whole thing about the Nvidia drivers, I NOW have text that is about …....8 point in the menu as default..........
f) BUT for the FIRST TIME.....
HAVING GONE THROUGH PROGRESSIVELY SMALLER AND SMALLER DISTROS...

....the display is CRYSTAL CLEAR!!!

Videos on YouTube do not “lag “ behind the sound......and a HD Debian “girl” wallpaper really IS................HD!!

I mean really!

I love “Debian girls” for wallpapers but..........THIS IS THE BEST RENDERING that I have had on the t.v. yet! __{{emoticon}}__

g) I INITIALLY resized the panel to twice normal “thickness / height / (not length() but now have reset it to almost normal “thickness / height” for reasons mentioned below.
h) I initially reset the “menu” font size up into the 36 range, but have now reset it to “18”.
I) the “OBVIOUS QUESTION...........” with this install is.....

FOR WHAT........is it used?

Which is that to which Marshal McLuhan was referring.........

What “medium”.......... is being “massaged” on YOUR hardware........and WHY!!??

Reference note from above.

j) I use the computer and t.v.

as a “sound server”

THIS IS NOT THE “ORIGINAL IDEA OF A SOUND SERVER”

The ORIGINAL idea of a “sound server” was …..that a geek in a basement had a bajillion music tracks on a hard drive...........

WE NOW USE.........the “NET”.... to “stream” our music....

OR.........we use “the cloud”to “store” our music or videos.......so what IS it that

“THE GUI”..........DOES FOR US??”

So.....All that is really needed is to be able to start and play Clementine....be able to use IceWeasel to go to You Tube to watch old black and white serials.

NOTE.......Using the MX codecs installer took care of thaT very nicely! ( Thankee muchly MX devs!! __{{emoticon}}__

so........

I now do not use the screensaver, I have only two “desktops” enabled, but I downloaed a bunch of appropriate wallpapers/backgrounds for Antix/Mepis/Debian and do the “change the background thing” and have Clementine running on one desktop and just click the other desktop and let the gorgeous girls cycle through as I listen through the day.

Aaaannnnddd.....SOOOOO the switching desktops now fullfills the “screensaver” function....

HOWEVER.........with the “changing wallpaper function' one can “make a statement” to a co-worker in the cubile...or just have some “compatible” images on the screen at the home computrer.

Sooooooooooooooooo my grading of AntiX....

AS IF ANYBODY CARES!! LOL

In terms of “lower capability hardware”.........A
In terms of “download and install” since it installed more quickly than advertised...A +
In terms of being a “sound server” and “You Tube player”...A

MY ONLY “thing”............

Antix NEEDS some........advertising!!!

AntiX NEEDS TO SHOUT TO THE HYPERSPACE..........

HEY..........WE ARE HERE...........give us a once over!! lol

When one goes to “images” in Google and searches for “Antix wallpapers” or “Antix girls wallpapers”.....

One gets a lot of.........screenshots.

NOBODY IS GOING TO PUT SOMEBODY ELSE'S SCREENSHOT on their new install of AntiX

AT LEAST SOME of the “NEW INSTALL” people are PROUD of their new install...

GIVE THEM SOME COOL WALLPAPERS!!! __{{emoticon}}__ just sayin' !

Mepis has...ummmm....severa,,,,,,,,,, “less than sensational” wallpapers in the drab blue of the orb and pyramid”....

Yes there are about …...less than ten.....what this reviewer would call “cool” “Mepis” wallpapers out there.

I know..........because I just spent a short half hour.....searching.....

I would, personally,.......AND YES I KNOW that most people could care less about woodsmoke's opinion..........

I would, personally, be for getting somebody hooked up with creating some

VERY COOL...... backgrounds / walpapers for Antix and get them promoted.

Welllllllllllll

If you have actually read to here..........THANK YOU!!

AND............even though nobody reading this has a single care about somebody from ten years ago.... but the Gregman...........introduced me........really.......... to “Linux”........and yes I know.....I made a tangent off into Xandros......

But............in that scruffy, yet clean....because he cleaned the interstices of the floor tiles with the end of a toothpick when there was nobody in the stor........

He......the Gregman...............encouraged me to put Mepis on the very first hardware that I donated to a needy student........

Sorry about the trip down memory lane.....but memory on the beltways lasts about as long as it takes to jump from one speed lane to another..... __{{emoticon}}__

The problem with people who jump from one beltway to another is tht they offend the people who control the beltways.... it makes the beltways messy and can hurt somebody physically where"being on the internet" can"just offend" some people....but.......since I have a wonderful histrionic woman with whom to hold hands on the beltways.....maybe..... R. Daniel Oliver can help you and me....

I prolly won't be posting much more because AntiX ….”JUST WORKS”...

And who wants to read through all that “garbaaaagggeee” above! __{{emoticon}}__

My cudos to the developers and the community.

woodsmoke
fatmac
All you had to do was ask - & we could have told you that AntiX is where it's at. __{{emoticon}}__
rokytnji
Ah. The old days.

Where bloggers and sites would say

"AntiX, only for advanced users".

kinda like

"Careful, you'll shoot your eye out"

How time has passed.
woodsmoke
LOL
Thank you very much for the humorous replies! __{{emoticon}}__

Again,
I apologize for the long post but.......

I wanted to:
a) describe the system and how AntiX works so well on it, which is the sin qua non of the desires of the developers. __{{emoticon}}__
b) But also, to give reference to"my beginnings" and the Gregman.........who introduced me to Mepis.......He rocked Mepis when it was quite beyond my ken......

Again, thank you both for your very kind replies........

I just finished watching several William Powell and Myrna Loye videos on You Tube which ran as smooth as butter sliding off a hot pancake...... That has not happened with my"main distro" and that is because it requires a machine with more"oompf"......but......ya know............

There is this young lady at the college whereat I am privileged to teach, she really is..........a"Manga computer geek" but she doesn't know it..........She works part time in"IT"......but has motherboards in her refrigerator to see if that might revive them......

Anyone with imagination should employ this young woman........ because she is a commer.........

But.......she gave me a bunch of plastic box packing frames for computers and I've been doing a"walll treatment" in my office a - la"Blade Runner"......

She...........really does............ just HACK hardware........I mean........disassembling hard drives from 1998 and reassembling them and.........getting them to work..........

When I finish my"dystopian wall treatment" I'm going to hook the AntiX HD into my main squeeze and take a pic and show it to her........

Right now she"does" Windblows because that is ALL that the colleges do..........

remember the days of PROTEST........when ALL colleges did Macintosh......

Not now.........it is all about....... I won't get into it.......

But.........I'm hoping to get her to do a Linux installl........

maybe..........AntiX? __{{emoticon}}__

woodhey.........rokytnjl.............I think YOU HAVE THE RIGHT IDEA FOR A WALLPAPER FOR AntiX in your avatar! lol smoke
fatmac
You should check out some of the other wallpapers that Roky has had on his machines, lots of females & bikes. __{{emoticon}}__

(Edit: Maybe bikes should be motorcycles, or chops.)
woodsmoke
Lol ok!

BTW I wanted to give props to this site,
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.cupoflinux.com/SBB/index.php?topic=221.0"
linktext was:"Cup of Linux"
====================================
which has"a review of distros that will fit on a cd". It is what really got me pointed to antiX.

woodsmoke
fatmac
That looks like a nice site, will register & check it out further, thanks for the heads up. __{{emoticon}}__ __{{emoticon}}__
woodsmoke
I have recently become interestd in"Steampunk" and will be using it in my physics classes as a project in a new unit that is based on the"maker" phenomenon.

I also play music relevant to the day's topic before class, such as the Gold Finger music and the pics of the Bond girl laying on the bed very ........dead from being painted over whole body with gold paint... :0 , doesn't happen of course, but it is a good segue into"diffusion and osmosis", along with a discussion of the spraying of the sleeping gas by Ms. Galore! lol.

But I did a search for"Steampupunk music" and found two very nice stations....

And,.... aside from SOMA FM, that is all I have been playing on the big screen t.v. antiX install.

As with everything.... it seems.... SteamPunk has a lot of new money associated with it, clothing, equipment etc. and that is fine, everybody needs to make money...

But..........I found precisely two(2) stations with a search at Shoutcast. __{{emoticon}}__

The"open source" one, and they PUSH it in their hourly short, droning, robotic, dystopian voiceover, a lady does it, that they are OPEN SOURCE and request a donation of....... a dollar!! i mean...USD ...$1.00...... __{{emoticon}}__ !!

I mean, I already support SOMA FM the ONLY surviving streaming internet radio station physically based in the U.S. so, I'm gonna donate.. more than a dollar! lol

Annnd, I'll gently suggest that everybody should support a cause of their choice, whether it be time, talent or money. __{{emoticon}}__

But there is another BIG site.and when you see it you'll know what I mean.......they are out to CORNER the market....in a big way.... and they act as if the other station doesn't exist....... while shouting that they link to ALL of the steampunk stuff,......

..... now yes they showcase bands, etc which is a good thing.it is a"value added thing" and value added is a great thing....... but...I'll let you decide:

url was:"http://opensimcity.org/"
linktext was:"Open Sim City even has a side bar about some kind of app for Linux 64 bit."

Here is a link to the
url was:"http://steampunk-music.com/radio.cfm"
linktext was:"big dog"
on the steampunk block.

Of course the easiest way to try them out .....is to go to Shoutcast, download the .pls... playlist(s) and play them in Clementine! lol

The one that pushes open source is called OpenSim City the other is Radio Riel

Sooooo antiX is NOT just about being the best distro around .... __{{emoticon}}__ .....it also brings along side benefits on it's coat tails. ! __{{emoticon}}__

woodlikesantiXsmoke

p.s..... to the MODERATORS.......all external linkys have been verified.

pps..yeahhh I"could" have found the steampunk with another distro.......and played it with another distro....

But....standing at the gyration keyboard on a hosptial repurposed table, contemplating a rather over priced"wool top hat" that I'm going to re-purpose into steampunk for the Halloween thing when professors.......welll not so many PROfessors....but the ADJUNCT professors.....(we are more fun! __{{emoticon}}__ ) wear costumes to the college and the students donate to various charities by putting a dollar in.......a hat....... lol........I mean.........who can miss!!
rokytnji
p.s..... to the MODERATORS.......all external linkys have been verified.
K. __{{emoticon}}__

Grinning as I go through your busy necro posts today. No worries bro.
woodsmoke
rokytinj

thanks! love the"necro"......at last......somebody with ...imagination!

Again..........I keep saying that I'm not going to post much...

Just noticed this today....

Turn the junque, antiquated, low power, machine on....... get the"blue screen" with options.

It took me a while to figure out.....

do NOT....... press enter or anything......just let antiX start itself......

but.......sometimes junque from the beltways is waay too many hundreds of years old and just"doesn't catch"....

if...one sees........the stream of information showing that the OS is booting......and about fifteen lines in...one sees......

the word"info" ........in green......then the OS is going to load.......if the word"info" is not in green then it stalls at the ubiquitous....... hit any key....

I......."think" that it is that"previously" the OS was trying to load the drivers for the video card.....don't know......I'm just a hardware kinda guy and either the Gregman or the Johnnieman dragged this piece of drek off the beltways and I just try to lash it up... hope this might be of help to the devs.

woodreallytryingtonotuseupserverspacesmoke
woodsmoke
Hi
I read a review of
url was:"http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2015/06/tickr-open-source-desktop-rss-news-ticker"
linktext was:"Tickr on OMGUbuntu!"
and installed it, it runs fine. And as, the review says there are a boatload of customizeable features.

The ONLY thing that I don't like is that one cannot set the bar to transparent because there is not html code for transparency, but that is ok.

For folks who want a ticker style RSS reader this one works fine.

woodsmoke
woodsmoke
I mean..........

ok i hit the update thing...............

it updateswith synhaptic.....i mean what the @@@@ is that.........typing in the password for root that I TOLD THE SYSTEM WHEN I INSTALLED IT................DUUUUUUHHH

Probably alot of the people who develop for AntiX are probalby not aware.............

But typing in a password is just so..............

I don't know............so.....passe' as the Frenchies and nouveourichUSA are wont to opine.........

But ok.............I hit the update thing...........

and it updated......Bluetooth stuff!!!

and that after I spent a couple of days practicing scuba with disabled people.............

just sayin smoke