topic title: antiX on Asus eeePC
petrogazz
Has anyone tried the distro on the ultra portable Asus eeePC?
jjacobs2
M7 wouldn't even boot on mine. I haven't tried 7.01 yet.
cconly
Antix 7.01 booted fine on my eee pc, using all defaults except vga=785 (which is what the native chandros uses) for the 800x480 display.

However it did not recognize the eee pc's wifi, which is some sort of Atheros chip, as I recall.

I haven't persued it any further since the native linux is pretty good. But I would like to -- anybody know offhand what would get antix to recognize the atheros wifi?

Thanks, cc
moron
Have you tried using ndiswrapper?
cconly
No, I haven't tried that yet. It would likely work, since the eee pc comes with drivers for Windows XP so probably somewhere in there are drivers for the wifi.

Elsewhere on the forum are links that suggest Madwifi handles atheros chips, so that would be worth trying too.

I haven't tried anything yet, since, as I said, the existing Linux works quite well (once you modify it away from the baby interface they start you with, and that's easy).

Maybe if it's rainy this weekend... If the sun shines I'm on my bike.

Thanks for the suggestion.

cc
moron
No problem. Hope it works for you.
thinkpada21
cconly wrote:However it did not recognize the eee pc's wifi, which is some sort of Atheros chip, as I recall.
-- anybody know offhand what would get antix to recognize the atheros wifi?
For me, antiX recognized my Atheros based D-Link DWL-G650 WiFi card. I suppose the eee could be using a new version. If so, support should coming soon.
yamawho
I tried antix 7.2 on my eee P701.

The res was not 800x480 and the wireless does not work out of the box.

The only distro I know of that has official EeePC support is Mandriva 2008.1 spring which came out about a month ago. I have it installed and running on a 16GB sdhc card without issues.
DJiNN
yamawho - how are you finding the eeePC with Linux? I'm curious because i really like the idea of a lightweight laptop that can be easily carried around, and the idea of using cards etc instead of HD's is just great! What's the spec of your machine? Is it the newer one? Is there a limit to the size of sdhc card you can get/use?