anticapitalista
Site Admin
antiX-M8-test1 available for testing. (c 370MB)

from here:
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/"
linktext was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

This is far from complete in the sense of default artwork, icewm and fluxbox configuration, but basically complete in terms of apps included.

Basically the same apps as in antiX-M7.5, except

2.6.27-3 Mepis kernel
apps upgraded to 31/10.08.

Added:
zim (wiki)
Gjots (notes)
Grsync
parted

Removed:
gtk-gnutella
Mybashburn

Could testers check wireless, usb sticks, usb hard-drives etc.
Comments on speed, 'snappines' etc

Post comments here.
rich_c
Cool! __{{emoticon}}__ I'd be interested in using this as an opportunity to get my head round upgrading if poss. How would I go about upgrading my M7.5 to M8?

My understanding is I'd install aptitude, point my sources list to the new repo, do a full upgrade then grab the new kernel & associated bits. Is that about right?
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Yes, that is about right.

You can keep the apps up to date with a regular
apt-get upgrade or apt-get dist-upgrade

To get the latest Mepis stuff, you would need to add the latest Mepis repo,
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade or apt-get dist-upgrade

To get the latest 2.6.27-3 Mepis kernel, if it doesn't upgrade automatically, you'll need to do so in synaptic.

To get the latest antiX stuff, I'll produce a script to make it easier.
rich_c
I can deffo feel some upgrade playing coming on! __{{emoticon}}__
OU812
I couldn't get my mouse to work. And I don't know how to use fluxbox + keyboard.

john
eriefisher
usb or ps2 mouse John?
OU812
ps2. And when that didn't work, I plugged in my wireless usb mouse. No go. Rebooted, etc.

john
Jerry
Couldn't get X to start on my Dell 700m, will try some cheatcodes and get back.
dark-D
ok i had a go on the antix m8 test 1. result not so good __{{emoticon}}__ :

1. on my desktop:
in waiting for /dev....: 20-30 lines of errors with intel_agp: unknown symbol: with different devices after
and 4 errors with uhci_hcd: unknown sysbol usb_hcds_loaded
after that x starts the fluxbox is slower (anti you were right) and then same as john my usb logitech mouse isn't working
2. on the laptop same errors as before but here x dosen't start and it dosen't start by manual startx either. the errors :
(EE) Failed to load module"type1" (module does no exist, 0)
(WW) Intel: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0:2:1) found
(EE) GARTInit: Unable to open /dev/agppart (No such file or directory)
WARNING: Error inserting drm (/lib/modules.2.6.27-1-mepis-smp/kernel/gpu/drm/drm.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
FATAL: Error inserting i915 (/lib/modules.2.6.27-1-mepis-smp/kernel/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
(EE) [drm] drmOpen failed.
(EE) intel(0): [dri] DRIScreeninit failed. Disabling DRI.
(EE) intel(0): Coundn't allocate video memory

Fatal server error:
AddScreen/ScreenInit failed fro driver 0

edit: ok i managed to enter antix by using the first boot option i think is vesa the touchpad and that lenovo red dot thing both work but the mouse still dosen't work .

eidt2: ok i installed it on the harddisk i think it boots in to vesa by it self and the mouse is working. here is my first boot option after install :
title MEPIS at sda1, newest kernel
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 nomce quiet splash vga=normal
boot
on slim the option default_user demo is on i have to delete that user name and them enter my user

HTH i'll be out of town for a few days and no net __{{emoticon}}__ i'll like to test some more but i i will be busy.
plvera
I was able to run antiX-M8 in my Dell Inspiron 7500. It seems to work fine.

I was not able to get wireless to work, regardless of which protocol I used. Did not try wired.

I did not do a hard-disk install. Was just trying it on the Live-CD.

Pedro
Rebel
I updated everything. Looks good. At this time I am unable to find Fluxbox using the F1 key. Going to get some sleep...it is now 1:20 am. Bye all see ya tomorrow! __{{emoticon}}__
Jerry
As I posted on ML too, choosing the Options --> Vesa allowed me to boot into X on the laptop (LiveCD).

--external monitor not picked up as in all M8 betas
--USB stick not picked up, dmesg says the stick is seen and driver installed, then"mtrr: no more MTRRs available", then stick disconnected
--wicd picked up wireless fine OOTB (bcm 4306 chipset, Linksys router, Intel Pentium M CPU)

BTW: I love that desktop image: still maintains the antiX dark theme, but feels very positive
Rebel
I was unable to find Fluxbox using the F1 key. Solution (for me): I downloaded and installed GDM and replaced SLIM. That worked like a charm for me. Have updated and upgraded now all looks good. __{{emoticon}}__
rich_c
OK, so I started trying to get my head round doing an upgrade. Started with kernel to 2.6.27. Straight away this broke my wireless. Also, I couldn't boot the old kernel, got a kernel panic. So, accepting I bit off more than I can easily chew at the moment I did a re-install from CD. As a bonus, I discovered al I needed to do to get my external HDD install to work was point grub at hd(0,0) instead of hd(1,0). No messing with UUIDs on this install & works fine! So, not a complete waste of time but I will now proceed a little more cautiously. __{{emoticon}}__
dark-D
in pcmanfm in tools > open terminal f4 > in terminal box please add :
urxvt -tr +sb -sl 4000 -fg grey -T"antiX"
and we i'll have the default terminal in pcmanfm too.

also the Documents file in home is empty.

edit i get a fail in boot with this:
Wed Nov 5 13:27:21 2008: * Mounting local filesystems... ^[[128G mount: usbfs already mounted or /proc/bus/usb busy
Wed Nov 5 13:27:22 2008: mount: according to mtab, procbususb is already mounted on /proc/bus/usb