anticapitalista
Site Admin
I think we are almost there. This is just to see if there are any showstoppers.

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/"
linktext was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

antiX-M8-rc2.iso
plvera
Great! I'm downloading it right now and I'll install it in my old laptop and also try it out in my other boxes and see how it runs.

I'm looking forward to the final version!!

Best,

Pedro
plvera
Hello:

Livecd worked fine in my dell inspiron 7500 laptop. Picked up my ethernet card and mouse and everything seemed to work (even the mepis network tool).

Then I tried to do a HD install. First time, I think I picked"installed in current partitions' and that froze at 4%. So I restarted and tried it again, this time with the install in entire hard disk and that seemed to work fine.

After the HD install, internet worked (ethernet) but wireless was not picked up (like in livecd). So I tried to bring upthe mepis network tool (from control center) and nothing happened.

I also noticed during boot there was an error (which scrolled by fast so I don't recall all of it) about not being able to install a fluxbox/menu because it could not find a directory. The rest of the boot went fine.

I'll keep playing with it on this machine and try meta installer and the dreaded smxi script to see if I can sidux the system (a continuing battle between me and the script, at least in this box).

I'll post how this goes.

Pedro
plvera
Tried the live CD on my newer laptop (Inspiron 1721) and it picked up my usb mouse right away and also my wireless network. However, it was not able to connect (using wicd). I tried different things and also the mepis network tool and did not work. Finally ceni picked up the network and established a connection.

So far, it's looking pretty good. I really like the light green theme in the apps and in the fluxbox color. It's a great distro and I can't wait for the final release.

In the older laptop, I could not get the sidux conversion to work, but that has been an ongoing problem and I'm not too worried about it.

I did notice, however, that in the old laptop, with a HD install, I could not get meta-installer (antix insaller now in icewm?) to work. I clicked and nothing happens. Also in fluxbox, I found meta-installer under full fluxbox menu and had the same problem.

I'll keep playing with it and see how it behaves. Thanks to Anti and everyone else involved for all the effort.

Best

Pedro
plvera
This is a follow up. I reinstalled Antix8 in my inspiron 7500 since the sidux conversion did not work and certain boxes in control center were not working right, so I figured that either the failed conversion, or a bad install were responsible.

After reinstall, I was able to pick up my wireless network without a problem, and meta-installer works fine.

I'm very happy with how it's working on this old laptop, and I look forward to the final release which I'll install (or upgrade) my workhorse laptop.

Great job on this distro!!!!

Pedro
masinick
anticapitalista wrote:I think we are almost there. This is just to see if there are any showstoppers.

url was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/"
linktext was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/"

antiX-M8-rc2.iso
Woo hoo! That's great! In the usual way, if we've been using previous test versions of AntiX M8.0, will simply doing an apt-get dist-upgrade, a synaptic upgrade, or the equivalent bring the system to an identical state to what is in the RC 2? I am assuming, as usual, that is the case. If so, I did that on two systems yesterday and they continued to hum along very smoothly.

I will grab an image to give it a try, but I am confident in the results. Can't wait for our final release to come out!
plvera
Hi Brian:

I thought Anti was working on an upgrade script. However, it just apt-get dist-upgrade does the trick, that would be great too. I would prefer to keep my apps and my home directory files rather than reinstall and reconfigure my apps.

Either way, I look forward to the final release.

Pedro
masinick
plvera wrote:Hi Brian:

I thought Anti was working on an upgrade script. However, it just apt-get dist-upgrade does the trick, that would be great too. I would prefer to keep my apps and my home directory files rather than reinstall and reconfigure my apps.

Either way, I look forward to the final release.

Pedro
I think that the upgrade script is primarily intended to bring in the M8.0 conventions and tools for someone who wants to upgrade from an earlier version of AntiX. The testing I have been doing was from the Public Test 1 and the previous internal test versions, both of which appear to update and upgrade to the current stuff just fine.
lagopus
Downloaded rc2, installed the iso on my usb key (done this on my laptop running Mepis-8).

My EeePC boots from the usb key, the mouse works (this was not the case with test-2)
I tried to connect wirelessly: the network is detected, but I got some problem to configure wicd, or mnetwork (I was never very happy with mnetwork).
I will try tomorrow to have my wifi connection up the hard way (command line),
and to make a HD install.

Have a good day

Yves
anticapitalista
Site Admin
try ceni for network (Configure network interfaces)
lagopus
Thank you for the suggestion.
ceni is not far from the command line raw commands.

Anti, did you decided which name you will give to the antiX-M8 version ?
(I had a look at the version file...)

Yves
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Yes, the code name is the one in /etc/antix-version.

Keep it quiet for now __{{emoticon}}__
(not that it really matters to be honest)
plvera
Hello:

I tried the liveCD on a dell 8200 desktop (512 RAM) and the livecd worked fine except I was unable to get my ethernet connection up and going.

wicd recognized the wired connection and tried to get an IP address but was unable to connect.

any ideas??

thanks.

Pedro

BTW, the box is currently running ubuntu 8.04 fine
oldhoghead
Site Admin
Pedro,

On the livecd, try connecting using manage network interfaces, I posted about this, but inadvertently posted in the antiXtest2 thread instead of here:

url was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/antix-m8-test2-available-for-testing-c-377mb-t1200.html#p8545"
linktext was:"antix.freeforu ms.org/antix-m8-te ... html#p8545"

cheers,
oldhoghead
plvera
Oldhoghead:

Thanks for the link and the info. I've tried your suggestion (and all of the other ways to connect; wicd, ceni) and nothing works. I can see the wired connection with wicd but can't get an IP address.

I've also noticed that sometimes, during boot up I get the following msg:

hdd: drive not ready for command
hdd: wierd block size 0
hdd: default to 2kb block size

this goes on for a few more lines and then livecd starts up. but I see these messages again before slim starts up:

hde: status time out <something>
hde: failed opcode was unknown
ide: failed opcode was unkown.

At other times I don't see these messages when I boot the livecd. I'm not sure if the problem with the ethernet is related to this or not.

Finally, as a test, I ran Damn Small Linux livecd and it was able to find and configure my ethernet connection out of the box, so I'm confident it can be done. I just need to play some more with all the buttons.

Thanks.

Pedro