anticapitalista
Site Admin
The first public-test of antiX-M8 (antiX-M8-public-test1.iso c390MB)
========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/"
linktext was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false
and

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://downloads.tuxfamily.org/antix/preview"
linktext was:"http://downloads.tuxfamily.org/antix/preview"
====================================
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false

Delta patch from test3 is also available.
Should be available from the MEPIS mirrors soon.

Release notes:

Now available the first public test release of antiX-M8, a fast and light complete desktop and livecd based on MEPIS and Debian Testing, with a little bit of sidux.

*This release defaults to a fully customised icewm desktop (fluxbox is also installed)
*All MEPIS tools updated to MEPIS 8 beta6
*Includes firmware included in MEPIS 8 beta6
*MEPIS 2.6.27-7 kernel.
*Improved antiX-Control Centre, new scripts for screenshots, phonebook.
*Improved and extended themes and artwork for icewm and fluxbox.
*Inclusion of sidux meta-installer.
*Updated ceni and wicd for wired/wireless connections.
*UMTSmon - a simple connect program for users using 3g usb modems.
*Firehol firewall.
*Gnomebaker replaces brasero.
*urxvt replaces wterm.
*X.org 7.3
*auto-login with latest SLiM
*smxi, inxi, svmi scripts from h2.
*Can also be used as a quick rescue cd.
*Dillo 2
*New apps included: zim (wiki), Gjots (notes), Grsync, parted
*Dist-upgraded to 20 December.
dark-D
the first mirror was fast for me this one 80 kb/s __{{emoticon}}__ i'll get the link from the antixm8 test3

my logitech usb mouse dosne't work on the live-usb

suggestion: maybe add UMTSmon in control panel under network ?

closer and closer to the final. __{{emoticon}}__

edit:the net is disconnecting on me again. this time is very frequently __{{emoticon}}__
OU812
I just took the public test for a spin on my desktop. Here are just a few things:

1. aumix is back! This is terrific.
2. I noticed rutilt is still installed. Do you want me to add a menu entry for it? Add it to the control center? Or ...?
3. Do you want me to add UMTSmon to the control center? Make a menu entry? Or...?
4. I am going to take a look at the phonebook and see if I can't rewrite it in gtkdialog. Looks doable at this point.
5. Nice default cursor theme - very antix!
6. Nice icons in the firehol manager.
7. Nice selection of icewm themes. The majority are custom themes __{{emoticon}}__

I haven't really tested everything, yet - mostly menus, a bit of the control center, themes, etc. I really like what we have so far. It's a very comfortable environment. It doesn't seem like I need to do anything to it except add a few apps that I like and perhaps add a few utilities for my hardware. I hope users are digging it.

john
eriefisher
John, have you tried to package your themes as debs? Also let me know what you come up with as far as the phonebook, I would like to see it with gtkdialog.
plvera
Hello:

I tried the live CD on my old dell inspiron 7500 and it looks great. Very nice job!!

I could not connect to wireless though. I went ahead and installed and was still unable to pickup my wireless network.
When I tried the mepis network tool, which had been working in livecd, nothing happened. Well, it asked me for my root password as it always does, but then nothing happens.

I was able to bring it up from a terminal. Still could not get wireless to work but that's another story. I'll connect this box to ethernet and test other things. I thought this problem with mepis connect tool was odd.

Best regards,

Pedro
dark-D
i tried it on the desktop the network seams to work. i'll test tomorrow more.

the usb mouse works on livecd but on liveusb dosen't. (test3 works in cd and usb)

i don't have any idea for what's making the network disconnect. now i'm on test3 with upgrade to date and it works. so i'm wating for the upgrade script and i would like a away to strip it so i can apply the updates one at a time, maybe i can spot the error.
Last edited by dark-D on 22 Dec 2008, 07:14, edited 3 times in total.
OU812
Erie - thanks for the go-ahead with the phonebook. And I have no idea how to package. Need help there. Once I do, and am successful, I would like to make a proper deb package for gnormalize (the one at mepislovers is an rpm converted with alien).

john

P.S. One day maybe we should collaborate on an xfce/lxde custom antix distro.
eriefisher
I have not tried to package an application yet(soon) but to .deb scripts and files is really easy. I have been wanting to wright a how to for this but haven't had time. Maybe later today.

Rolling an xfce version is also something I would like to do with more time. Lets not let this get forgotten John.

Let me know what you come up with.
dark-D
i played with the public test 1 last nite some more, the net now"works" on the laptop and on the desktop it"works" . let me explain: on both computers the net is disconnecting at different intervals and on the laptop the net stop disconnecting once every 30 seconds but it disconnects. on the test3 all works flawlessly, no errors and no disconnect. i have all apps up-to-date. my hopes are in the next release or the update script. i still think is something from the settings of the public test1. i wanted to test public test1 with the sidux kernel but i don't have an available partition __{{emoticon}}__ .maybe i'll install the next public release and see on it. great improvements in public test 1 sad i have a problem with the net. great work and i hope all works out for us.

edit:desktop: installed laptop:liveusb