masinick
anticapitalista wrote:antiX-M7.5.iso is ok now.
The bugs found by ICE-M were squashed and I oploaded a 'fixed' iso.

masinick, you should notice the new antiX Control Centre and if you login/toggle to icewm a completely different set up.
If it isn't noticeably different, download antiX-upgrader.sh again and try again.
I installed, not one, but TWO new releases of software on my newest test laptop, the Lenovo 3000 Y410. I have sidux, which gets regularly updated, I have antiX M7.5, just installed from the new ISO image this afternoon, I have a great new Beta 2 release of Mandriva 2009 Beta 2 that I just installed, and I have an almost new Alpha 3 release of Kubuntu 8.10 - need to get Alpha 4 installed, then everything is nirvana here! Not only that, but I even have a Windows Vista installation on this box when weird moods strike me!

I just hopped into Kubuntu to test out my boot manager entries. I am trying to install GRUB on the root of every partition and use the relatively recent"configfile" menu command in GRUB instead of the common chainloader to minimize my changes. This has been working out really well for me.

Hurray for M7.5, it looks REALLY good!
Rebel
I was able to download 7.5 and just tried it out. On a scale of 1-10 I would say that Antix ranks a 15 just on the"wow" factor. Someone has been bustin' their chops on icewm. Great job!! I will be installing it (I was running the live cd) and giving it a real"going over". Once again great job!! __{{emoticon}}__
exploder
Congratulations to the AntiX Team on the 7.5 release! I have been looking at the new release and am very impressed with the new Control Center and all of the improvements to the IceWM environment. It would be safe to say that AntiX is now the leader in innovation and ease of use in the IceWM environment.

The default appearance in the 7.5 release is very nice, especially the new grub splash with the AntiX branding. AntiX has raised the bar in light desktop environments! Again, congratulations on a very nice release!
masinick
exploder wrote:Congratulations to the AntiX Team on the 7.5 release! I have been looking at the new release and am very impressed with the new Control Center and all of the improvements to the IceWM environment. It would be safe to say that AntiX is now the leader in innovation and ease of use in the IceWM environment.

The default appearance in the 7.5 release is very nice, especially the new grub splash with the AntiX branding. AntiX has raised the bar in light desktop environments! Again, congratulations on a very nice release!
AntiX is now the clear leader in a couple of categories:

1. IceWM based distro.
2. Fluxbox based distro.
3. Medium lightweight Live CD distro.
4. Flexibility and extensibility.

Comments on 4: I really particularly appreciate the fact that I can begin with a relatively stable testing distribution that is nearing release with the Debian Lenny base, and transform it into a sidux-protected Debian Sid base - the unstable Debian Sid on mood stabilizers. I cannot begin to tell you how useful that combination is to me.
Xeroid
I just got 7.5 installed this morning. Two words . . . Very Nice!!

The overall look and feel is very polished. Everything works so far. I was running fluxbox with wbar installed on 7.2 but I'm so impressed with the antiX rendition of ICEWM that I'm using it for now. My PIII 550 system seems even more responsive than it was with 7.2

Good job guys! __{{emoticon}}__
masinick
Xeroid wrote:I just got 7.5 installed this morning. Two words . . . Very Nice!!

The overall look and feel is very polished. Everything works so far. I was running fluxbox with wbar installed on 7.2 but I'm so impressed with the antiX rendition of ICEWM that I'm using it for now. My PIII 550 system seems even more responsive than it was with 7.2

Good job guys! __{{emoticon}}__
Glad you got it installed, Xeroid! I know that you are, and have been a fan of both MEPIS and antiX for some time now. I was fortunate enough to be part of the testing effort - and I even got a chance to make a few suggestions to h2 - Harold Hope - who is the author of smxi, the script originally written for Kanotix, but now actively used by sidux, and adapted to be used with antiX M7.5 as well,

I used both Fluxbox and IceWM in previous releases, but until this release, it seemed to be that most of the development and customization work went into Fluxbox. In the current release, thanks mainly to John (OU812), a LOT of great stuff was done with IceWM. Thanks to Sakasa and impuwatt, there is some awesome art work. Of course, those were not the only contributors. Anti got a LOT of help with this release and he mentions a whole cast of great helpers. I considered it a privilege to get to help test, and my comments were definitely respected, and that made me feel good, like I got to at least help out a bit.

You will find that if you just want to use antiX as is, it really runs great. However, one of the other things I like so much about antiX is that it is quite configurable, more so than ever now with smxi. I love the way I can use it live, but I also really like my setup that I have on disk as well.

If you like your setup half as much as I like mine you will really enjoy it!
Xeroid
masinick wrote: You will find that if you just want to use antiX as is, it really runs great. However, one of the other things I like so much about antiX is that it is quite configurable, more so than ever now with smxi. I love the way I can use it live, but I also really like my setup that I have on disk as well.
Yup, I'm going look into smxi now that I've got everything setup just right. I've enjoyed playing with ICEWM because I've never really spent much time using it (like I have Fluxbox) but I'll probably eventually go back and customize Fluxbox to my liking as well. I'll make a final decision at that time on which WM I'll settle on.
masinick
I oscillate around on window and desktop managers. I probably use XFCE the most by a small margin, maybe KDE next, then IceWM as a window manager third, and Fluxbox fourth. All are good in my opinion, just a matter of what you need and what you are used to using.