topic title: antiX-M7.2-preview2
anticapitalista
Site Admin
antiX-M7.2-preview2 will be available shortly for testing.

This should be the last one before final (hopefully final will be out at end of April/beginning of May).

preview2 is deliberately larger than preview1 by about 15MB as it includes gxine video player for those that like a dvd player that plays menus (Mplayer doesn't).

preview2 will not default to the rox-desktop, but it can be enabled by a simple edit.

Fluxbox-menu has been slightly altered (thanks to Jerry)

antiXcc is available, but not all the options as in preview1. The wallpaper option has been put back into the fluxbox menu.

mountpy has been included for those that wish to mount drives. rox and ivman work fine on my box automounting usb flash drives, but not usb harddrives. mountpy may help.

For those who try it out, and for preview1 in fact, think about the following.

1. Include gxine or not.
2. Include catfish search or not.
3. Include the rox apps in the home/demo/rox folder?
4. Comments on wallpaper/login screen.
5. Comments on choice of fluxbox style, conky style.
6. Anything else.

Remember, antiX is aiming to be as complete and light as possible for 128MB RAM boxes (installed). Also apps are only an apt-get away.

TIA
DJiNN
anticapitalista wrote:antiX-M7.2-preview2 will be available shortly for testing.

This should be the last one before final (hopefully final will be out at end of April/beginning of May).
Great stuff..... looking forward to giving it a go. __{{emoticon}}__
preview2 will not default to the rox-desktop, but it can be enabled by a simple edit.
I like the simplicity of the fluxbox desktop more & more each day, as i'm learning more about flux etc. I've tried to get into the Rox desktop etc, but on the whole i haven't yet been able to see why it's any better than the standard fluxbox menu..... but i'll keep playing with it anyway, just out of curiousity. __{{emoticon}}__
Fluxbox-menu has been slightly altered (thanks to Jerry)
I installed Debian (testing - Netinstall) the other day, just to see what it's like etc, and after installing fluxbox and getting a basic system up & running, one of the neat things i noticed was that fluxbox"Auto Updated" its menu after installing any apps etc...!!

Is that a"Debian" thing, or is it a special script, or can you get the same kind of automation in antix with fluxbox? I don't mind hand editing the fluxbox menu, but automation would be great. __{{emoticon}}__
antiXcc is available, but not all the options as in preview1. The wallpaper option has been put back into the fluxbox menu.
I also run antiX on my main machine, and copied the"Admin" script over to get it working there, but i can't get it running. Any ideas why? Do i have to change the permissions etc?
2. Include catfish search or not.
I didn't think that i'd use catfish that much but i'm finding that it's a really good thing to have, and i've used it quite a bit in the last few weeks.... so it gets my vote.
3. Include the rox apps in the home/demo/rox folder?
Do you mean ALL of the Rox apps available? (There are quite a few). What about just the basics or the"0install" thing, and then let the user decide from there. (Just a thought)
5. Comments on choice of fluxbox style, conky style.
Another thought.... with regards to Conky, what about including a few different conky scripts so that the user can choose between them. There are loads out there available, and conky is not the easiest thing to set up. Maybe even add something to the antiXcc menu in this regard?
Remember, antiX is aiming to be as complete and light as possible for 128MB RAM boxes (installed). Also apps are only an apt-get away.

TIA
Something i didn't realise until i played with the Debian install a few days ago, was just how much baggage Synaptic pulls in with it when it's installed....!!! I really like Synaptic because it's easy, friendly and works really well, but it's quite quite a load on the overall size isn't it? So, with that in mind i'm currently getting to grips with apt-get & apt-cache etc..... it's slower, but the gain in overhead (on a minimal machine) could be worth it.
OU812
I agree with your changes.

I think catfish or other search engine should be installed.

Even though mplayer may not be able to access dvd menus, it is probably the best choice since other apps require its presence. As for gxine, I think the user should decide.

If there's room maybe include easy tag?

john
Urban
My solution for getting packages I wanted on the distro I was using:
A bash script that uses apt-get.

Every time I reinstall I just download my script from my server and run it on the fresh install. I even have it set to configure some config files.

Just a thought for those asking for more packages for a distro that is supposed to be lightweight.
DJiNN
Urban wrote:My solution for getting packages I wanted on the distro I was using:
A bash script that uses apt-get.

Every time I reinstall I just download my script from my server and run it on the fresh install. I even have it set to configure some config files.
That sounds really cool. Bash scripting is something i haven't attempted yet though. __{{emoticon}}__
Just a thought for those asking for more packages for a distro that is supposed to be lightweight.
I think"More" packages is OK, as long as they're both functional & as"Light" as possible. I'm just amazed at how heavy (bloated etc) some programs are, and when i saw the baggage that comes with Synaptic it really surprised me. I always thought (naively i guess) that Synaptic wasn't that heavy, and now that i have found out, it's made me appreciate just what can be done with apt-get etc. __{{emoticon}}__
Xeroid
I just did a hard disk install of antiX-M7.2-preview2 and I must say I'm surprised. For a preview2 this is very polished. Everything just works. Nice job guys! __{{emoticon}}__
contents
Everything looks great so far, except the install option"Use entire disk" doesn't work for me. It did work for me with the Spartacus edition.

I have a PII MMX 266mz with 96 mb of ram. The Spartacus edition worked great for me.

Thanks for all of the work!
DJiNN
I've just installed preview on a PIII - 1Ghz with 700mb ram, and it's incredibly fast and responsive. Really looking forward to the final release.

Also, if anyone's looking for a slightly different desktop experience, i can recommend LXDE. I've got it running here using antiX as the base with deb testing repos, and it's just as fast and responsive as fluxbox, and WAY lighter than XFCE. Took a bit of messing about {only a small bit though} to get it installed, but well worth the effort.

__{{emoticon}}__
contents
contents wrote:except the install option"Use entire disk" doesn't work for me. It did work for me with the Spartacus edition.
Scratch that--on the fourth try, the install seems to have worked, up until the part about installing GRUB. After I told it to install that, then the installer quit--no entering in user or root password, networking info, etc.

This might very well be a problem with this 10 year old laptop rather than a problem with the installer.

Also, as far as slight suggestions for the new preview are concerned, I notice that in this version there's no gparted in the fluxbox menu. I like gparted, and thought it was a nice thing to have around.

Please let me know if there are any tests I could do to get to the bottom of the problem I'm having with the installer.

Thanks
contents
Woops, after a couple more tries, the install of preview 2 worked. It's running great. (I suspect that the installation problems were caused by low system memory).

I also see now that gparted, and synaptic as well, are accessible through Settings-->Config-System. I guess I was expecting to find them out in the open. It makes sense, though, that they should be accessible though this menu--the names"gparted" and"synaptic" are not at all self-explanatory to new users.