url was:"http://sblinux.org/antix_8.5/"
linktext was:"http://sblinux.org/antix_8.5/"
====================================

The Brazilian Portuguese antiX 8.5 Perguntas frequentes is still here:

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.sblinux.org/antix-port/"
linktext was:"http://www.sblinux.org/antix-port/"
====================================

Whenever a version 11 of that is finished, I'll put that one up and move the 8.5 version, like I did with the English versions.

If anyone has any suggestions or corrections, post them here, please.
dolphin_oracle
SB,

The faq looks good. One correction and one possible addition.

The opening paragraph still references the old kernel.

The"windows" key under fluxbox can also referred to as Super_L in the keys file. If you use this name, you can enable one-touch root menu by the following:

Super_L :RootMenu

This has come up recently in the forums.
SilverBear
Thanx, Dolf.
Much to my shame, this is the first time I have not been active in working on or editing the antiX FAQ. The html structure I devised a couple years ago is working fine without me -- now i'm just uploading to SBLinux.org what I've received. But i'm noting your correction, and i will revise the FAQ after i get more feedback.

Viva antiX!
granisalo
If anyone has any suggestions or corrections, post them here, please.
Thanks for your post.
My problem - as a NOOOOOOB - is that The FAQ doc (and the other one, details etc. can't remember the title - you know which one - the 'other' one) is written in Geek for Geeks. As a desperate Windoze refugee I'm seeking to be spoken to in Noob, not Geek and am VERY frustrated having so far with some difficulty finally burnt an AntiX dvd and find it Very difficult to find my way around it. I can't even get to see my HDD - and all because it's written in Geek.
Q: does the Linux community really think it'll convert the world from Windoze if it can't translate Geek to Noob using parallel files/postings? Best regards etc..
SilverBear
My friend granisalo,
I can relate to your complaint.

Personally I'm a long-time Mepis Linux user who has gained some experience in software documentation in the Mepis Wiki, and then through a few versions as an associate editor of the Mepis User's Manual.. Since antiX came out, I've been a major enthusiast of the distro (sub-distro, some might say) and have volunteered whatever help I can to what anitcapitalista and the real antiX hard-core guys want to do. I guess I've been involved in one way or another in every version of the antiX FAQ. It's online via my personal Linux website.

But at the same time, i do not in any way call the shots as to what is _in_ the documentation. I _use_ antiX but I am very far from being in the top tier of guys who know this GREAT system inside-out. I'm just a scribe, so to speak.

I tend to agree that the current"FAQ" we have for antiX is no longer adequate to what to me is a distro in it's own right. it was geared from the start for guys who knew what they were doing and were willing to experiment. Anticapitalista has done a heck of a lot of work over the years to make our vision of a small, tight, Debian/Mepis distro become a working reality.

I'm willing to participate in a project to develop a more comprehensive"antiX Manual" suitable to the present status of the distro. I think it's time --this distro is mature, IMO.
Again --I have no authority to initiate it -- but if anticapitalista wants to get a more comprehensive Manual project going, I'll certainly do whatever I can to make it as newb-accessible as i can.

Thanks for your input, granisalo. It's the only way we have of knowing what more we need to do to enable antiX to take over the world! hehh-hehh-hehh. . .
__{{emoticon}}__
dolphin_oracle
granisalo, the documentation has always been a labor of love by those working on it. if you are having problems, one area where antix excels is our forums. most of the folks here will go out of there way to help, and even if we can't for some reason, this is one of the most polite and courteous forums around.
granisalo
Silver and Dolph, thanks for your kind replies: all points taken and appreciated!

I sense, from my ignorant perspective, that AntiX is probably one of, if not the, best, lightest, fastest distro's available, but I can't get there yet! Without a simple step-by-step guide which I can actually read and understand, it's too difficult and Time-consuming trying the unsatisfactory Hit-an-miss approach - and it's very frustrating: I'm almost convinced I'm an idiot !
The best document I've come across so far is"From Windows to Mepis" by Alan D Moore, but it's not exhaustive, only a brief introduction: I would appreciate any pointers to similar articles relating to AntiX - if such are available. I do suppose that being (as yet) a smallish Distro, there just is not enough man-power to spare for Wondozer's conversion __{{emoticon}}__

Roky has been very good in trying to help progress my first post"Antix > USB..." (and I just have to get the live DVD onto a stick and .......) and I'm progressing slowly. He told me how to access my HDD (running the live dvd) (so at least I can see/access my files) but I don't think I understood the instruction: I've tried repeatedly to see the drive - but can't - and I don't want to experiment on my main lap-top in case I screw it up: really need simple instructions 'cause I don't yet speak Geek __{{emoticon}}__ And If you read this Roky,, lots-o-thanks for your kind help so far !!!

Thanks everyone !
SamK
Over the years I have looked at many, many help files, FAQs etc and see a common pattern. Documentation is often the"poor relation" of a project.

Projects tend to be started by people with technical skills. They communicate with each other using technical language to express technical ideas and enjoy the technical development process. Such people may not posess the required skills, or the desire, to express technical matters in a non technical manner.

To"translate" clearly and concisely can take considerable effort. In my opinion contributors who invest their time and skills to produce easily understanderable documentation are every bit as valuable as those conducting technical development. Additional complication is thrown into the mix when one considers the problems of hitting a constantly moving target; e.g. the testing repository.

Documentation that is frequently reviewed and updated with reliable content can play a significant role for a user looking to choose a distro.