antiX M-12 K6-2 3D processor install

wye4
Hi
First off it's looking good.
Compaq Presario 5225
380MHz K6-2 3D processor
384Mb of ram (375 recognized by AntiX)
ATI Rage Pro (onboard 128Mb)
SoundBlaster 16 (onboard ESS Alegro not turned off but not recognized)
10GB hard drive with Windows 98SE ( I play the old dos games)
40GB hard drive with AntiX M-12 (I had M-11 on it until last night)

I installed antiX M-12 last night. First off on boot I got the same PCI error but it continued to boot up. M-11 had the same error. The typhoon motherboard has an ISA slot and that may be that error. Or it can be the ESS Alegro as it declares itself as PCI even though it is onboard. It shows up in lspci. There is no BIOS option to turn it off and if there is jumpers on the motherboard I haven't found it. So I can live with that no big deal. I logged into all the different desktops and at login antiX displays the wrong resolution.1280x800 and the icons are half off the screen and the taskbar is below the screen. I looked for the control center icon Oops not there. So I reset resolution in the root terminal xrandr -s 1024x768. As with M-11 antiX M-12 can't seem to remember screen resolution preferences. I have to do this after every boot. Not a good thing as I am still young only 62 barely past puberty. However some old geezer may need to have 800x600 just to see an icon.
I looked for the control center and found antiXCC. Applications> Preferences> antiXCC. When I click it I get nothing. Next issue is logout, shutdown, reboot, as with antiXCC I get nothing in any of the window managers. Using shutdown -r now in root terminal to even reboot. I tried to use the metapackage installer to install LXDE and it failed missing packages. I guess you want to know these things as it is a Pre-Final release.

Now for a little praise...

Gateway Solo 1150 Laptop
550Mhz coppermine processor
192Mb of ram
This laptop was so old originally it came with windows ME. It didn't have Ethernet or wireless. It had a modem, CD, PCMCIA slot, 2 USB 1.0 slots, serial port, printer port and a floppy drive and headphone and mic jacks. I added a PCMCIA Ethernet card and a USB wireless N adapter. I installed antiX M-11 on a 40GB hard drive. It works flawlessly. I use it as my main JFS computer. JFS is our local child welfare and I refurbish old computers for them. They donate them to needy kids.
drg
“I looked for the control center and found antiXCC. Applications> Preferences> antiXCC. When I click it I get nothing. Next issue is logout, shutdown, reboot, as with antiXCC I get nothing in any of the window managers.”
You didn’t mention if you tried this, but this worked for me. Installing gtkdialog 0.7.20-4 over the one on this antiX12 testing version restores functioning of those antiX apps on PI and K6.
antix-12-series-available-for-final-testing-t3712-30.html

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/Testing/"
linktext was:"http://www.mepisimo.com/antix/Testing/"
====================================