Ninho
All in title ! I've installed antiX-full onto a second, older system - 800 MHz Pentium 3 - with only 384 megabytes of memory, and it is working well enough, including Firefox... yet I'm wishing to save bytes and minimise CPU load as much as is practical. As a first step I've disabled"conky". How do I replace the destop picture by a solid color, please ?

I'll take other suggestions for adapting antiX-16 to this class of comp, if any. TIA...

P.S. (unrelated) rant : I HATE grub2 ! Not only is it needlessly user hostile, it does NOT work properly in complicated situations. Grub4DOS, or even good old grub ("legacy") are 100 times better suited, at least for old style (MBR) style partitionning systems !
Dave
Select a clean desktop session (icewm instead of rox-icewm or space-icewm) and use the wallpaper app and you should be able to select a solid color. This will loose the desktop items which will save you some more resources as well.

If you would like to keep the desktop icons then rox and spacefm both have their own way of setting no wallpaper IIRC. However I do not believe it to save very much resources in displaying a picture vs color while maintaining the icons.
Ninho
Thanks ! I'll try both solutions, comparing memory footprints & shall report here.
skidoo
Dave, antix16 installed version of"antix-wallpaper" package is v0.3.8
and the script is still brittle (fails if the expected default imagefile does not exist)
anticapitalista
Site Admin
Don't get rid of the default image!

OK, we'll try to fix it.
skidoo
Titled my post déjà vu because I had already reported that long ago, and Dave had released a fixed version...
SamK
Ninho wrote:I'll take other suggestions for adapting antiX-16 to this class of comp, if any.
Some ideas for you to explore post46641.html#p46641
Ninho
SamK wrote:Some ideas for you to explore post46641.html#p46641
Interesting threads, thank you, SamK ! I'm reading
and learning new tricks in the process ! I didn't know you could have swap files
(as opposed to swap partitions) in Linux, for instance? I guess this is a 'new' feature -
I must make clear I had used older linux kernels (2.4, 2.6...) until now - not the early adopter type...

{Edit] In the linked suggestions, zram is mentionned. I have not yet researched, just
a wild guess: is that a sort of RAM compression device, kinda like the (in)famous doubleram of Windows 9x times ? Irrespective of whether my guess was right or wrong,
could zram be workable and useful with as little RAM (384 MB) as is in this old DELL ?

Anyhow since I started this post I have setup a 512 M swapfile with"swappiness" 10, looks lie it's in use now...
SamK
Off Topic
This strand bears little relevance to the opening topic. To keep to the usual one matter per topic, it will probably be better to start a new topic.
Ninho wrote:I didn't know you could have swap files
(as opposed to swap partitions) in Linux, for instance? I guess this is a 'new' feature -
I must make clear I had used older linux kernels (2.4, 2.6...) until now - not the early adopter type...
Swap files have been around for many years.
Ninho wrote:In the linked suggestions, zram is mentionned. I have not yet researched, just
a wild guess: is that a sort of RAM compression device...

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zram"
linktext was:"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zram"
====================================

Ninho wrote:could zram be workable and useful with as little RAM (384 MB)...
Read the final paragraph of the link I provided in the previous post. Abstract from post46641.html#p46641
SamK wrote:Just to give a tiny bit of perspective, here the following laptop is in daily use for non demanding uses. Because of its age, it is also regularly rebuilt as a test bench to provide a reference point of what antiX can do. It was manufactured in approx 1997,
  • 384MB RAM
  • single Celeron CPU 1295Mhz
  • 2 swap areas (swapfile + zram) totalling 727MB
  • kernel 3.7.10-antiX.8-486-smp
By todays standards this antique kit has a very low spec. It is still capable of displaying a Youtube video with the window opened to fit the screen width. It plays completely smoothly without any form of juddering or jerkiness and sound and vision are in sync. All with approx 50% CPU load. Not too shabby for an antique. It was done with this video from dolphin_oracle and shown in Streamlight which ships with antiX.