0day
How to for install antix-core fluxbox on hp mini 110?
Is antix-core without firmware?
dolphin_oracle
I think you will be better off with antiX-base (fluxbox by default) or even antiX-full, which isn't that much bigger.

antiX-core uses a gnu kernel that doesn't allow the use of non-free firmware. so if your stuff works with free firmware, you are ok. unfortunatly this leaves out a lot of wireless products....
masinick
dolphin_oracle wrote:I think you will be better off with antiX-base (fluxbox by default) or even antiX-full, which isn't that much bigger.

antiX-core uses a gnu kernel that doesn't allow the use of non-free firmware. so if your stuff works with free firmware, you are ok. unfortunately this leaves out a lot of wireless products....
That's true, Dolphin Oracle, with the out-of-the-box configuration, but Core is Core. To me, what it means is that antiX Core comes, by default, with a minimal set of tools and only the most basic, core utilities.

A kernel, at least for me, is often one of the first things that I either add or replace. Installing a different antiX kernel, a Liquorix kernel, a newer kernel.org kernel, or any number of other options should not be a deciding factor for choosing antiX Core versus another antiX version.

What should decide it is that if you're not willing to modify and add in what you want, you may be better off with a pre-packaged solution, either using Base to at least have the core system completely in place and simply selecting the applications you want, or choosing the Full version to start with a complete system, from which you can further tailor and modify to suit your preferences. Any of them, from my perspective, make excellent starting points. It depends on whether you want something that can run applications from the moment you start (then Base is a minimal starting point, with at least a few apps and basic utilities), or the antiX Full gives you a complete system.

Non-free or free, in terms of applications with modifiable source code, is certainly of more consideration to someone starting with a Core system. But even there, you have choices. How many of the choices do you want to select yourself, and how many do you want the system to configure for you in advance? Once you decide that, you know which solution to start with.
dolphin_oracle
In the o.p.s case the wireless in the HP mini 110 is not likely to work with the default core kernel. So he will need to use a wired connection until he changes his kernel.
0day
Thanks...i install antix-base and it work out of the box!! It is Perfect!