anticapitalista
Site Admin
I will soon make available an antiX-base iso.
This is 168MB, has all the Mepis tools, but little else!
The idea is to easily install a base system (including X and fluxbox) and that's about it and off you go to install the apps of your choice.

I'm still tweaking a bit, but at the moment it includes (apart from Mepis tools and fluxbox)
nano
midnight commander
xterm
links2 browser
gparted
lean, mean, nogui, keyboard UnicornRider scripts
sysvconfig
kernel
Great! Eagerly Awaiting..................
anticapitalista
Site Admin
The 'problem' is that it is moving away from Mepis and towards Debian (either testing or [better] unstable).
Now for those that have a fast connection, this is good. For those on dial-up, basically forget it.
I've been testing it out and it works best with the Mepis repos commented out and using only the Debian ones.
It boots faster as a livecd (not by much though, but still less than a minute for 128MB RAM).
Hopefully available in a few days time....
kernel
Who knows where the process of growth and maturity will take antiX? The possibilities are practically endless. I'm excited about that! Thanks anticapitalista.
dieselbenz
anticapitalista wrote:The 'problem' is that it is moving away from Mepis and towards Debian (either testing or [better] unstable).
Say three"Let's Go, Mountaineers" (ask Warren) and sin no more.
anticapitalista
Site Admin
antiX-base is being uploaded, but will probably not be available before my bedtime ie now!

It is a little bit bigger than first posted (176MB) as I included the kernel headers, upgraded and added some libs etc that make installing kde, gnome, xfce4 a pinch (I hope)

With this version, you are in (almost) complete control of what you want to install. Also, if you like, once it is installed, you can remove the Mepis stuff (though I don't suggest it) and even X to lighten it even further as use for a server.

Anyhow, when it is ready, have fun, and remember it is a testing release (though I anticipate few problems)
moron
Got it from here :

========= SCRAPER REMOVED AN EMBEDDED LINK HERE ===========
url was:"http://mepis.gabston-howell.org/download/testing/AntiX/"
linktext was:"http://mepis.gabston-howell.org/download/testing/AntiX/"
====================================

thanks anti........
kernel
Thanks....
moron
Anti,
Download and install went well. Boot time is considerably faster, of course. I've got to run now but will dig deeper over the next couple of nights. Thanks again.
bucolicbuffalo
I haven't had much free time lately to get over here. Sounds interesting. I have a 5 or 6 spare older machines to play on. But it takes time.

antiX is running on two of my systems now. For the most part they have been painless for me. But I do like the Mepis way of doing some things. Printer setup is a breeze in Mepis and has been a pain in antiX for me. I just cannot seem to figure out what it wants. Even with the tool tips etc.

So I like the Mepis system configuration utilities. They seem to make everything so simple.